So whos NOT getting a Hopper due to lack of OTA?

I think he's one in the same, and yes he does act like a know-it-all which really annoys those of us who really DO know it all. ;) Nevertheless, I think Scott's ire should be directed more at the OP chaney, and not Smith P.

I hope we are simply waiting on something simple like FCC approval or some kind of cert like that. You know those funny cert numbers we see on electronics that they don't interfer with othe radio devices. This is a new device and in some cases the main box is connected to the phone line or Internet.
I am so tempted to switch from directv to dish now taking the risk on OTA and going with what Scott's says and that it will come out sometime this year-November. It would be so bad if I was in a two year contract and dish changed there mind and had no OTA option, I wish dish corp would tell us more so I would know it was safe to order now.

Last edited:
People who do not have sufficient OTA local channels don't have any reason to complain about the delay. Those with lots of OTA channels and have been using 722's with a good local antenna are truly justified in complaining or not upgrading.
First of all I have not upgraded to Hopper yet, but plan to when they let me upgrade to 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys free, I am not holding my breath.
Regarding OTA, I love it on my 2 722's because I can record one OTA and 2 channels for a total of 6.
If the mysterious hopper USB OTA tuner will do the same it is like ice cream on the cake, wow, 8 recordings on 2 hoppers!
My wife and I are very Senior Citizens and except for watching news channels together we have different programs we watch, ocassionally I'll watch a recording she would like and I have to do the swapping of EHD's. I look forward to being able to watch any recordings from any TV.
Old Don
Savannah, GA
2-722 DVR
Slingbox
Outside OTA antenna

Last edited:
I wonder if when the big storm Sandy knocks out the sat due to rain fade if more will come visit this thread looking for an over the air tuner to get their locals? This thread as been viewed 51,171 times so far as of this post.

ScottChez said:
I wonder if when the big storm Sandy knocks out the sat due to rain fade if more will come visit this thread looking for an over the air tuner to get their locals? This thread as been viewed 51,171 times so far as of this post.

I'm not sure OTA would make a big difference. With all the wind damage that's expected, I'd expect a lot of antennas to end up out of whack.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Be interesting to see. Over the next two days, we'll see if we lose sat signal. Then see if we lose OTA signal.

My old D500 on a 4' mast with OTA antenna mounted underneath is stayed. It's not going anywhere. I hope.

My 1000.2 sat dish rode out a cat 1 hurricane( 74-95 miles an hour) back in 07 and my terk 44 clip on antenna stayed put as well. Lost sat signal first thing, but my ota tuner kept on working at least till the power went out 30 minutes later. My sat dishes are all on poles concreted in the ground. The funny thing was that we went to bed being told that a small tropical storm( winds less than 70miles an hour) and not to really worry about it. Then around 2:30 am we felt the trailer rocking and my boy came running in our room saying his room was moving. The tie down straps broke under his end of the house. I turned on the tv and luckily the 722 was on an ota channel and not a sat channel. The local weather men were all on tv saying the hurricane was bearing down on Nederland , where we live. The winds were in the 90- 94 mile range at the time. We rode it out and an hour later it had passed. The sat dish was still there on the pole and the antenna was clipped on tightly.

Now the next year when Hurricane Ike came in 08, I took the sat dishes down and the antenna too. In order to prevent them from being damaged. Hurricane Ike was a cat 2 storm( winds in excess of 96 -110) Not as bad as Rita was in 05 when it was a cat 3 ( winds from 111-129 range) when it first came in near Beaumont and dropped down to a cat 2. Those winds crushed my dish 500 into a permanent C shape, and they also tore my wooden fence to hell , my portable bldg was shattered and my roof was devoid of all shingles. But a cat 1 or less shouldn't hurt your sat dish , unless it gets hit by flying debris.

I hope we are simply waiting on something simple like FCC approval or some kind of cert like that. You know those funny cert numbers we see on electronics that they don't interfer with othe radio devices. This is a new device and in some cases the main box is connected to the phone line or Internet.
I am so tempted to switch from directv to dish now taking the risk on OTA and going with what Scott's says and that it will come out sometime this year-November. It would be so bad if I was in a two year contract and dish changed there mind and had no OTA option, I wish dish corp would tell us more so I would know it was safe to order now.

I'm with you in not wanting to get into a 2 year contract until we know more about OTA. If Dish would just officially tell us it's coming and the reason for delay, I would be willing to upgrade now.

If it does come out they need to have a new Customer Special.
Buy One OTA Hopper USB Tuner get one Free?

I'm with you in not wanting to get into a 2 year contract until we know more about OTA. If Dish would just officially tell us it's coming and the reason for delay, I would be willing to upgrade now.

I know that there isn't any official word yet, but I see an OTA USB Tuner for $30 listed in the Order From Store option at mydish.com once I logged in. It says OUT OF STOCK but this option wasn't even listed in there prior so clearly they are getting ready.

lucky86 said:
I know that there isn't any official word yet, but I see an OTA USB Tuner for $30 listed in the Order From Store option at mydish.com once I logged in. It says OUT OF STOCK but this option wasn't even listed in there prior so clearly they are getting ready.

Yeah been there for a little while now v

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)