Status
Please reply by conversation.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Does anyone know where I can locate some softare to blind scan at for this card. I understand that it could take hours/days wich I have. It would be good for finding long term feeds. Thanks. :)

You need to try the TransEdit software that comes with DVBViewer. It has a neat brute force blind scan that can search in several different ways. For instance, there have been some golf feeds in S2 spotted on Anik F1, and all have had an SR of 15000. I set Transedit to search between 3710 and 4190 in 15 Mhz increments using the SR of 15000 and when it gets a lock it will display the results. This takes about 3-4 minutes and the search has something like 66 combinations. You could also set it for something like 11705 to 12195 in 5 Mhz increments, an SR of 5000 to 30000 in 5 Ms/s increments, and search in either DVB-S or S2. That's a lot of combinations and would take a long time but you would find the full time feeds. It will search a single polarity or both, a single SR or a wide range, or a single frequency or a wide range in one or both modulations. To me, at least until things start happening with hardware S2 blind search, it's worth the 19 bux to have DVBViewer and a neat app like TransEdit.

Ac Radio, thanks... Im planning on possibly doing over night scans just to see whats out there. Ill give it a shot as the stuff that is going to be permanently up there wont go away. I figured it would be worth a shot :)

I'll second ACRadios comment. I have a TT S2-3200 and recently purchased DVBViewer. My only real interest has been feeds and TransEdit has proven to be an excellent piece of software. Like many others, I've written pseudo scanners for B2C2 that worked reasonably well and assumed I'd do that for the TT. However, TransEdit is far nicer and much more complete than anything I'd write. Of course, I'm still waiting for the day someone manufactures a card with autosymbolratedetect (besides the SS2 2.3).

I bought and donloaded the software but, Its not reconizing the TT card. Is there something that I need to do? TSREADER and Mytheater sees the card fine.

If you're using it with TSREADER then you must be using the WDM driver. I had given up on TSREADER (not due to the TT S2-3200) so I've been using the BDA driver from TechnoTrend - I believe it's 5.0.0.19. Sorry, I don't have any experience with the WDM driver and DVBViewer.

Going the PC route for me has always been a tradeoff on one piece of software or another to get a balance of function and stability. I don't know if there will ever be one solution (hardware, app, system software) for all the things I would like.

If you do go the BDA route, look through the forum for the ttbdadrvapi_dll.dll file on the DVBViewer site. You'll want this for Diseqc - switching and motor.

Yep I had to switch from the WDM driver to the BDA driver... I will look for that file. I have got transedit going and im searching for s2 signals. Does yours freeze up when it scans? mine says not responding. Im kind of letting it do its thing right now. But it says that its not responding yet the hard drive light perotically flashes..

I got my s2-3200 last week and today got DVBViewer and Transedit. Just about the first thing I did was break off the cable connector on the card. It is only expansion crimped to an rf shield, and came right out of the pc on my cable.
I had to unsolder the rf shield to make a repair, but it works. I lightly crimped the cable connector back in the shield and soldered the joint at 4 points to make it more sturdy. Remains to be seen whether I'll have to do a more thorough job of supporting it.
DvbViewer seems to work just fine on DVB-s ( don't have any Ku DVB-s2 channels to try it on yet) . Currently I'm blindscanning AMC5, just to see how accurate the scan is compared to my Merc II . Interesting toy is TransEdit. Thanks for the tips, ACRADIO .

:)

Yep. Im doing amc 15 right now.. I had to download the beta versions to get it not to freze up. Im going to let it rip and check on it in a few hours...

Ok, I just put in the perameter for a full scan.. There are 30,414,822 varations for a full scan of the bird. Im going to do a full scan of amc 15 just for sheets and giggles to see how long this will take. So here I go. At the time of this posting I have started the scan...

on my mark ... go

WOW ! I've only got 85,000 combinations setup in my scan of AMC5 . It'll be interesting to see how long your scan takes. Eventually, maybe we'll get enough DVB-s2 stuff to make this worthwhile , rather than as an experiment. Good Hunting !!

Ok, I just put in the perameter for a full scan.. There are 30,414,822 varations for a full scan of the bird. Im going to do a full scan of amc 15 just for sheets and giggles to see how long this will take. So here I go. At the time of this posting I have started the scan...

on my mark ... go

Man that will take weeks...what increments did you use? I think that 5 Mhz increments would be fine, as I set the scan for the golf feeds at 5 Mhz increments and it finds a lock on 3 frequencies. The center is at 4149 and it finds a lock at 4140, 4150, and 4160. This is with an SR of 15000. You could probably find everything with an SR increment of 5 also...that should narrow things down a bit.

My guess is that we won't see regular feeds at high SR values. The bandwidth costs money. I'd say 3500 to 7000 would get most regular channels, both DVB-s and DVB-s2 . Of course, we don't have any regular Ku channels to test my guess. Of course, the possibility of a multi-channel mux with a high symbol rate always exists. Does that make me "right" or "wrong"? One thing I am sure of, bandwidth costs money!

There are all sorts of feeds above 20000 SR. I know of several S2 feeds in the 20000 and higher range...a particular network comes to mind. CBS DVB-S distro feeds are usually 32362 SR, but personally I wouldn't look any higher than that.

Are you talking DVB-s feeds, or DVB-s2 feeds ? I know we have plenty of DVB-s muxes with high SR values, but that's to be expected when you have 4 or 5 channels on the mux. My question, I suppose, is what SR range we should concentrate on , when scanning for DVB-s2 feeds ? SR = 30000 is in the mix, but what is the low end SR for a single channel feed?

Are you talking DVB-s feeds, or DVB-s2 feeds ? I know we have plenty of DVB-s muxes with high SR values, but that's to be expected when you have 4 or 5 channels on the mux. My question, I suppose, is what SR range we should concentrate on , when scanning for DVB-s2 feeds ? SR = 30000 is in the mix, but what is the low end SR for a single channel feed?
Well, I know there was an S2 church feed that had a quite low SR, but I can't remember what it was. Now that I know where the Fox News IFB signal is located that has an SR of 1000, I need to test the 3200 to see if it will lock it. I don't think there will be any DVB signals containing video with an SR lower than about 1200...it would look like crap.

Edit: The S2-3200 specs says it's top SR limit for DVB-S2 is 30000, so there is probably not much use in looking any higher than that.

Is there a list of common SR rates used.. I wonder how long it would take to compile such a list. That might help speed things up if we had a database of all sr's used in the last year. Waddya think? I think I just might be up to it. Could help speed things up.

BTW im still scanning..

Lump, it's painfully slow in my estimation. ACRADIO's example, where he blindscans for a particular symbol rate ( rather than a range ) is likely an example of the only realistic use. Unless you are very restrictive in your scan parameters, it could easily take a week for a single bird. If we EVER get much DVB-s2 on Ku band, then maybe we'll have a pattern of Symbol rates, that might make this a practical tool for overnight scanning.
:(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)