Software to "backup" a Bluray Disc

yaz96

Baby, It's Cold Outside
Original poster
Dec 22, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
What software do you guys use to backup your Blurays?

Now that I have enough I want to get a bluray drive in my computer and do some backing up or porting to DVD for the kids stuff.

I looked into AnyDVD, and it is now ridiculously expensive for a lifetime license.

I use DVDShrink now for DVD's, but what to use for BluRay???

Thanks!

AnyDVD is the de-facto standard in this business.
They were not the first breaking AACS, but BD+ nobody managed to break before them.

There are alternatives. Look at Clown BD, for example.

Diogen.

AnyDVD and DVDFab work great. I probably use DVDFab more often.

AnyDVD is the best. It is expensive for a lifetime subscription, but you have to look at the number of attempts by the industry to lock up BDs. It seems like there is an update a month to AnyDVD to cover a BD with a new variation of copy protection. There are a lot of updates needed to keep up.

I never could understand the mindset of backing up BluRay disks. It is really silly economics if you think about it. Just look at the cost for a 50Gb blank. Now say you have 50 titles to back up, You have to do every one of them because you'll never know which one will be so damaged it won't play. How often does that happen? Consider the numbers that it may happen 5 times at worst case odds with 50 in your library. I think it would be far cheaper to just go out and buy a replacement disk for the one to five that got lost. Plus, maybe by the time that happens that title is on sale. With the burn yourself safety backup, you'll probably be paying $200-$300 per title for insurance against losing the few you will over the lifetime of BluRay.
If you are "insuring" total catastrophe, then it makes more sense IF you store the backups off site otherwise they are likely to be destroyed at the same time as your primary disks.

Personally, I'd rather just rent the BluRay for cheap and if I really want to have it here, BlockBuster and other resources has a huge selection dedicated to previously viewed titles that sell for much less than the cost of making an illegal copy.

Yaz- unless you really enjoy spending dollars to save a few pennies, I suggest you look into the costs involved and compare to previously viewed titles prices. It makes much more cents, even dollars!

I have found BDs to be less susceptible to damage than DVDs, and from what I read, so do rental companies. It's simply not worth the time or trouble for me to put them on HDDs or copied. In that time, I could watch something else, work in the garden, or post at SatGuys.

I copy mine to HD and use juke box software to pick one out to watch. I do have a somewhat unique situation with 2 residences. I copy to HD at one and store it at the other so I can watch in either location. A lot easier than hauling a few hundred discs around all the time. When I buy a new disc, first thing I do is copy it, then put it in the out basket for the other house.

Don- that is the only reason to use copy software, having your titles on a server. This circumvents the media cost and takes the content to a different access format. I have a couple DVD's on my windows media player too that I streamed from converted files to my xbox360. It works, but I still don't watch them often enough to justify the time. Buy the disk, put it on the shelf when not watching and in a few months I want to watch again, just pull it off the shelf. Alphabetical order works very well for me to locate the few disks I own.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts