software updates

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

deck402

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2004
I am a FTA wantabe and have a question about the software updates offered with the FTA receivers. Since I own a Mac I often have trouble getting the right format. will the software updates work on my Mac. Are they very importent to have.

moved to the fta section.

welcome to the site deck402. we have a wonderful fta section here, just remember there is no hack talk here.

As above, WELCOME to the forum.

Most FTA receivers come with the latest software already loaded and there would be no real reason to upgrade them.....

Any new satellites or channels can be scanned in or entered manually!

PSB said:
Most FTA receivers come with the latest software already loaded and there would be no real reason to upgrade them.....

Any new satellites or channels can be scanned in or entered manually!

That's true if one is buying a new receiver. I will say, however, that if one has a Pansat that's more than a few months old (either because you bought one used, or because you've had one for a while), and you find that every time you scan a high-definition feed your receiver locks up or loses all its graphics, then getting and installing the latest software from the official Pansat web site may fix that problem (at least it seems to on the model 2500A). The downside is you will lose all your stored channels, and will have to scan them in again!

The official factory software upgrades are usually intended to run on a Windows box, so unless you have a Windows emulator on your Mac I doubt they would work (don't have a Mac though, and in any case can't say if this is true for all receivers). I personally dislike the whole idea of upgrading the software unless there is some definite benefit to doing so. Since my Pansat is located in another room from the place where I usually watch TV (I use a remote extender to control it), the HD lockup problem was a real inconvenience so I decided to bite the bullet (so to speak) and upgrade. But I was pretty nervous about doing it because I realized that any kind of power glitch or cable problem could turn my receiver into a brick (fortunately that didn't happen).

thanks for the info. Mostly about the need. after I posted the message I knew the answer if would work as no rs 232 on my Mac. Duuuugh

By the way I ordered a Pansat 3500s today and will hook it onto my C/Ku band 922. wish me luck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts