Software upgrade ever?

bobvick

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2006
Northwest Alabama
I guess this is a dumb question, but I will ask it anyway. Has there been any news of a new software upgrade for the 922. Wasn't the last upgrade to 105 back in early May? I wonder if they are asleep at the wheel in the engineering dept?

I sent an email to tech support asking when features that the 622 and 722 have will be added to the 922. I asked about Dish Pass and EHD support. The answer that came back was the 922 does not support Dish Pass and they provided a link to EHD support, which I did not check out.

They totally avoided answering my question of when....

This is the slowest I have ever seen DISH upgrade the software in their state of the art "Flagship receiver" the 922. I have had 2 months with this receiver today and still NO updates. No external hard drive archiving support , no dishpass, no manual timers. This receiver has been a big disappointment to me so far. I do less with the 922 than I did with my old 722k. The sling feature is not useful in my circumstance. I wanted it to do HD on both of my tvs , but gave up last month and added a second 211k to my back bedroom hd tv. I really feel like I should of stayed with my 722k considering all the things the 922 CAN'T do at this time. And to think I waited two years to get this receiver.

I am happy with the 922, but I am disappointed at how long it is taking them to offer software updates and adding new features. The 922 was the main reason that I switched back to Dish from DirecTv. Maybe it will get better "soon" :)

...Here is my issue.. I paid for the 922 & opted in for the $40 one time EHD support so I could use it with my 922. Now it's been months and I paid for the ability, but still it is unavailable.

dish refuses a refund because it's a 1 time non-refundable fee for any DVR. Ok, well I can't use it with the one I want to, and they are still promoting the EHD feature on their site... I don't use this word lightly, but fraud comes to mind since they refuse to credit me for the feature I paid for and cannot use.

This is the slowest I have ever seen DISH upgrade the software in their state of the art "Flagship receiver" the 922. I have had 2 months with this receiver today and still NO updates. No external hard drive archiving support , no dishpass, no manual timers. This receiver has been a big disappointment to me so far. I do less with the 922 than I did with my old 722k. The sling feature is not useful in my circumstance. I wanted it to do HD on both of my tvs , but gave up last month and added a second 211k to my back bedroom hd tv. I really feel like I should of stayed with my 722k considering all the things the 922 CAN'T do at this time. And to think I waited two years to get this receiver.

And for those reasons, it'll probably be another 2 years before I get one. I'm not big on being an early adopter.

I am starting to think the 922 receiver is never going to see all the features promised for it , just like the 721 and the 921receivers. Now it will take the separate google box to plug your 921 receiver in to get the advanced search features and internet features the 921 was supposed to have anyway. Another way to get you to spend . It looks like to me that DIRECTV will have the better multi-room viewing solution than DISH does. It will only cost you $5.00 per extra receiver and you can share all on a network with one dvr and use your dvr in any room. Only $3.00 to use feature a month. Meanwhile I am paying an extra $4.00 to use sling features and I can't even watch HD on my computer ,unless it is an ota hd station.

I think the more one uses sling the worse the box gets. It seems that missing recordings or getting other random recordings seems to be aggravated by using sling. If I avoid using sling it seems like the box does its basic DVR functions. I will have to go a while without using sling to be sure it does not miss a show.

It looks like sling is so buggy that it corrupts the guide data or other memory used by the DVR function.s

Would you like frequent and unstable software updates or less frequent and more solid updates? The quick series of updates after general release was to fix showstopping issues with the device. I love new features as much as the next guy, but at the moment I'm kinda happy they are taking a breather. EHD importing seems to work now. I was able to transfer about a dozen programs to my 922. EHD archiving would be nice so I can offload and free up some space, but I can wait.

It would be nice if they could at least acknowledge that they were working on the 922. As for the GoogleTV thing, I belive that they could implment it on the 922 itself, without an addon box, it is just another way for Dish to fee us to death and charge more.

this is definately annoying, i had my 922 filled with 45+ world cup games in hd, i wanted to free shows off there so i took out hdd and put it in 722k expecting tobe able to transfer shows from 922 hdd(at the time in 722k) to ehdd, nope formatted drive erased all shows

give us external storage and well your at it activate tv2 viewing for regular and sling.

bobvick said:
It would be nice if they could at least acknowledge that they were working on the 922. As for the GoogleTV thing, I belive that they could implment it on the 922 itself, without an addon box, it is just another way for Dish to fee us to death and charge more.

that is when the next update will, be. Around September dish will download to our boxes google tv. Hopefully they will fix the ehd problem in the same firmware. Scott have you heard anything about the 922?

Nothing official, but I have been hearing the next update will be a big one...

Nothing more then that and no ETA.

Well, at least we know that they are still working on it. I hope that it is stable when they release it in the field. Thanks for the update.

Knowing DISH they will download one big download that will make the 922 explode and the features that work NOW, will not after the update. But we can all Pray that it will finally be the update that puts the 922 on par with the 722k and brings back external hard drive support for archiving, dishpass and do I dare ask< manual recordings?

You know this box currently does remind me of the 721. The 721 had a ton of disabled features to make the box stable. I think the r and d time was getting too long and cuts had to be made to rush it out the door.

I git a feeling if we don't see big strides by Xmas it will mean the 922 project was scrapped and we will see a new box late next year with all features plus more.

You know this box currently does remind me of the 721. The 721 had a ton of disabled features to make the box stable. I think the r and d time was getting too long and cuts had to be made to rush it out the door.

I git a feeling if we don't see big strides by Xmas it will mean the 922 project was scrapped and we will see a new box late next year with all features plus more.

Hey...wait a min...are you not describing the Dish life cycle of the 921 to the 942?

Snip..

If they force another box on us that soon I will really be "upset"...

I would be totally pissed if they did that. Scott said at the team summit that they kept saying that the 922 was the future of DISH and it was the flagship state of the art receiver. I think DISH needs to find a way to do true multi-viewing on all their receivers connected on a network like DIRECTV is doing. This would be really nice to be able to see your dvr on any receiver in your house connected by ethernet . Use the home plug thing to connect them all together. My three receivers are all connected by home plug right now. This whole sling thing has not turned out to be that much use to really many people who have it.

Maybe it would be nice if someone ran a poll asking how many of us have a 922 and are we happy with the progress of the receiver and its features.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)