Software Upgrade

havok019

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
What's the deal with the software upgrade to 4.06 or 4.09? It's been about a month since others started reporting the upgrade and I'm still on 4.05 and my OTA is miserable.

I plug my antenna into the TV's HD tuner and everything is fine. This suggests a software issue with the 622, which others have reported gets improved with the update.

I connected my 622 to a phone line hoping that would spur an update. No luck. I tried a soft reboot and no luck.

Help. I need the update.

According to the Sticky Thread once named 4.09 but relabeled 4.05, all those updates were rolled back. There are none, however, a new update will roll out starting the 8th of August to add external hard disk optional service and ethernet capabilities.

According to the Sticky Thread once named 4.09 but relabeled 4.05, all those updates were rolled back. There are none, however, a new update will roll out starting the 8th of August to add external hard disk optional service and ethernet capabilities.
I thought they always claimed they couldn't do a roll back. Guess they lied!! LOL

4.05 is valid software for the 622. 4.06 and 4.09 were "broke" and rolled back as noted. Why would you want it ??

4.05 is valid software for the 622. 4.06 and 4.09 were "broke" and rolled back as noted. Why would you want it ??
There was a limited set of problems with L4.06 (HDMI releated, as I remember). Many of us have been having OTA problems that were fixed by L4.06/L4.09.

For teh record, I have a new 622 as of Friday and it has 405 on it and my OTA seems to be working perfectly. Is this a hit and miss kind of thing?

Theory:
Dish does not and will not have a software download available that will fix all 622s. They know (but won't admit it publicly) that certain hardware models, combined with certain patterns of usage are going to have problems.

While they have been replacing units for some customers, one of the stumbling blocks is that some people don't want the price of getting their 622 working properly to be to loose the contents of their HDD.

When external storage becomes available, customers will have a way to save their HDD contents if a receiver swap is necessary. Maybe even in some cases, a flaky 622 can be put back in shape by simply reformatting the HDD - an operation that would normally kill the contents if there was no place to move it to.

Either way it gives customers and Dish Tech support a little more flexability.

For teh record, I have a new 622 as of Friday and it has 405 on it and my OTA seems to be working perfectly. Is this a hit and miss kind of thing?
It's a compatibility issue between certain local station's hardware and digital receivers. It happens frequently... A station will "upgrade" the firmware on a piece of their equipment and all of a sudden various receivers, including ones from companies other than Dish, will no longer be able to tune the channel or they get frequent loss of signal or picture breakups.

Well, my OTA was fine right after the initial install (I think the software was 4.04). Then got upgraded to 4.05 and I get constant drops. NBC is totally unwatchable and it is the weakest HD signal in my area. I switch to TV tuner and there's occasionally some pixelation but completely watchable. I had hope with reports of 4.06 and 4.09 that this would be resolved with the update. Guess I'll find out when the next update launches.
Thanks for info about update. I found sticky thread btw.

There was a limited set of problems with L4.06 (HDMI releated, as I remember). Many of us have been having OTA problems that were fixed by L4.06/L4.09.

Actually the main problem with L4.06 & L4.09 was skipping and blocking with Satelite HD Locals, which was why those had to be rolled back to L4.05.

(L4.09 fixed an HDMI problem introduced in L4.06)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts