Solid Copper Pole!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

DirectDishNet

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
Davenport Iowa
A couple of day's ago as you guy's know, I scored a HughesNet dish. The customer asked me to remove & haul it away along with the pole, So I did. Today I pulled the pole out of the back of my truck to cut a 6" coupler off of it with my Dewalt reciprocating saw. Turns out, What I have is a 8' solid copper pipe. 2 1/4 wide.

Sweet!

If you got the dish for free, I would think the Christian thing to do would be to return the pipe to the person you got it from, in view of the fact that copper has some value these days. If the fellow then said, "Oh that's OK, you can keep the pole", then your conscience would not bother you! You understand, the fellow may not have known about the pole's being made of copper?

Your right, And I will do just that. Just called them, Went to voice mail but left a detailed message. If I don't hear from them this week end, I'll drive by their home Monday (only 10 minutes away).

I'm not sure of the value but I'm sure it's worth something given the fact I hear on the news from time to time of people steeling copper from construction sites.

And maybe the person did know the pipe was made of copper.

What do you suppose the pipe is worth in scrap value? $2-3 per pound?

What does it weigh? 12-15 pounds perhaps?

UPDATE:... They just called and said they have no interest in getting it back. They also said if I could sell it then go ahead. I checked metalprices.com and it looks to be just shy of $3.00/pound so about $35 for the pole if I was to take it to a scrap yard. I'm just going to use it as a dish pole. At least the pole will have a good ground!... :)

Good point cadsulfide.
But would your conscience be clear, knowing you were watching TV using a copper pole?

Direct,
That's probably the future's price for bare metal. Presumably a local dealer would give less to make it worth their while.

Good point cadsulfide.
But would your conscience be clear, knowing you were watching TV using a copper pole?

I'm sure the pipe won't care what it is being used for, it was probably a commercial
drain pipe in a former life. I would wager it feels that supporting a dish is way better than carrying toilet waste.

Direct,
Give the Guy a $20 if you want.

Good point cadsulfide.

I'm sure the pipe won't care what it is being used for, it was probably a commercial
drain pipe in a former life. I would wager it feels that supporting a dish is way better than carrying toilet waste.

Direct,
Give the Guy a $20 if you want.

Hmm...I hate to bring this up now but when I initially did their dish 1000.2 installation and removed their unwanted hughesnet dish and copper pole, They gave me a $20 gratuity.:eek:

The pole might be worth its weight in "gold" if it is solid because it would not bend as easily as the other types of poles, unless you do not plan on reusing it over and over.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts