SG2100 Vs. Cold Weather

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Chief Twit

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 7, 2009
Southwestern Ontario
How well does the SG2100 motor perform in cold weather. It gets pretty cold here with the wind chill
We have had temperatures fall to -15°C/ 5°F without windchill in London

I'm pretty sure that it will hold up as this thing feels like its built like a tank but you never know

I think you'll be okay. My SG2100 went through several cold Michigan winters without failing. -10 deg F is not uncommon in the center of the state. A bigger issue is keeping the dish clear of snow. I frequently go out and shovel snow away from the dish path. :)

I agree. Unless you're trying to move a fairly heavy dish, you shouldn't have a problem with the cold temperatures. My SG2100 works fine at -15 with a 90CM fortec, which is pretty light, however if you were trying to move a heavier dish, like a Primestar or something, you might have a problem.
I also agree about digging out the snow too. The past two winters here, we had enough snow to completely bury the dish, so I had to be careful to dig it out, and also keep the receiver on a non-motorized sat when a storm was coming, so that the dish wouldn't accidently try to move on it's own before I got out there to dig the snow away from it.

my SG2100 will be on its 6th winter coming up and here in MN it can get COLD...especially in January where -30F mornings happen. The dish keeps trucking along

With the way my dish is setup on the roof I get snow around it all the time. Take the broom and sweep it off...but once in a while it gets buried (as shown in pics)

Attachments

• 000_0087.jpg
    000_0087.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 175
  • 000_0088.jpg
    000_0088.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 169
  • 000_0089.jpg
    000_0089.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 175
gets down to -30c here and i have a 36 incher on it.....sometimes it is a bit slower in the cold but its never stopped completely

No problems here in So. New England either in the winter where it gets a bit chilly at times too.
Hey, while we're on the topic of this motor and seeing the snow covered photos of Iceberg made me think of it too. can someone mind voicing their opinion as to whether this motor will likely be strong enough to power a 48' (4ft) Fortec KU Dish? I know technically the weight of the dish exceeds the rec specs by like 2.5 lbs. but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna try it, rather than spending the $ on buying a new Sadoun motor, I only have one FTA dish. Hope it's ok to insert this secondary question in this thread. Thanks!

FYI my Sg-2100 has survived TWO bitterly COLD Louisiana winters, where it REGULARLY gets below 40 degrees for at least a week or so during the winter....its tough....:rolleyes:;):D:eek::cool:

my sg2100 survived 2 winters on the canadian praries turning a 39". ive seen it -60c with the wind chill. at -40c i had to make sure i selected horizontal tps cuz 13 volts just wasnt enuff juice. this winter the poor thing is turning a 1.2m i just hung on it. haha.

crackt out,.

anyone care to give an opinion as to whether I should be able to get away moving a 48" dish with my SG2100, either actual experience or an educated guess? appreciate it.

You know I did read your post but after reading it twice I didn't know how to take it, my bad, nonetheless that's good to hear - now I'll definitely go forward with my plans, of course who knows when I'll get to it - thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts