Some Interesting Dish Info

SpenceJT

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 13, 2003
Madison, WI
OK, now I'm missing point of reading proponent's posts.

If you agree, you'll pay - why you came here and fight for the company's way to milk money from the air ?!

What is a value your posts have here ?

Assuring and pleasuring Dish in their anonced fee ?!

I would respectfully ask "what are the value of your posts in this forum sir?".

I will gladly pay to enable the feature of external storage as I "want" this additional feature and am willing to pay for it. Just as I do not subscribe to a data plan from my cellular provider as I do not see any personal benefit.

Does this make me against wireless data plans? Heck no!

It makes me in favor of the choice.

It makes me in favor of competition.

It makes me in favor of our "free" economy.

It makes me in favor of each and every person's freedom to innovate and profit from their efforts (however large or small they may be).

Ask citizens of Communist Cuba how they like their choices. Heck, do they even have their own (non pirated) DBS service?

Many are under the impression that corporations are in the business of "giving" or "including" things at "no charge". The only true "no charge" items I have ever seen are "incentives" created by the desperate.

The first rule of business, any business, is to earn a profit , plain and simple. Corporations must answer to the stockholders, all eagerly awaiting quarterly and annual earnings reports. A portion of profit is turn back into R&D for new products, for acquisitions of new products, or (god forbid) dividends (gasp)!

The same people who are complaining about paying a one time fee (equating to less than a tank of fuel or two DVDs) to have a feature enabled, would be the first to complain (or even jump ship for a competing service), should (for instance... this is hypothetically speaking for those of you who try to turn this around and attempt to say that I'm spreading lies) DirecTV by some act of Rowling-ian magic, be able to offer 200 national HD channels and Dish Network enable only 40 for presumably more money. ...or not jump ship if you don't see the value in the additional channels, but you would still complain that Dish had let itself fall behind in it's HD offerings.

Smith P, why do you think Dish Network exists? To donate each and every feature and service that it offers? No, they have a business model which includes making as much profit as the market will allow them to. Profit is not a bad thing, in fact it is a necessity, so they may continue to exist and continue to grow and prosper. Without profit, we would have little to no innovation (think of any communist regime and look at how their consumer electronics market has progressed).

You may regard those of us, planning to pay the enabling fee as those who are helping to drive the market forward, toward future "yet to be announced" features, that may or may not involve additional cost, and at that time, we will hopefully still have the "freedom" to choose if we want to pay for them.

Last edited:

jsanders

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 4, 2003
Correct me if I'm wrong (as I often am) because I don't own an "i" anything, but doesn't iTunes charge for downloads?

Kind of like comparing lemons and limes don't you think? Similar, but overall so very different.

No pun about comparing "apples" and oranges eh?

iTunes charges for most downloads. So does Dish actually. That they charge you to watch those VOD movies, which it basically downloaded from the satellite. It also charges you to download (record) a PPV movie onto your hard drive.

SpenceJT

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 13, 2003
Madison, WI
No pun about comparing "apples" and oranges eh?

iTunes charges for most downloads. So does Dish actually. That they charge you to watch those VOD movies, which it basically downloaded from the satellite. It also charges you to download (record) a PPV movie onto your hard drive.

Excellent point on Dish's download or VOD, which by the way, is also a feature that many choose not to pay for and yet curiously do not spend pages upon pages in endless (and yet glorious) debate on. :)

Love the apples pun! :D

Regards,
Spence

Smith P.

On Vacation
Oct 4, 2003
Bay Area, CA
Don't lecture me about business, companies and Dish particularly.
I'm not a kid and not in your class.

You still posting same propaganda as before - nothing really adding.

And total value of your lengthly post is 0.
Regardless of argumentation.

I would respectfully ask "what are the value of your posts in this forum sir?".

I will gladly pay to enable the feature of external storage as I "want" this additional feature and am willing to pay for it. Just as I do not subscribe to a data plan from my cellular provider as I do not see any personal benefit.

Does this make me against wireless data plans? Heck no!

It makes me in favor of the choice.

It makes me in favor of competition.

It makes me in favor of our "free" economy.

It makes me in favor of each and every person's freedom to innovate and profit from their efforts (however large or small they may be).

Ask citizens of Communist Cuba how they like their choices. Heck, do they even have their own (non pirated) DBS service?

Many are under the impression that corporations are in the business of "giving" or "including" things at "no charge". The only true "no charge" items I have ever seen are "incentives" created by the desperate.

The first rule of business, any business, is to earn a profit , plain and simple. Corporations must answer to the stockholders, all eagerly awaiting quarterly and annual earnings reports. A portion of profit is turn back into R&D for new products, for acquisitions of new products, or (god forbid) dividends (gasp)!

The same people who are complaining about paying a one time fee (equating to less than a tank of fuel or two DVDs) to have a feature enabled, would be the first to complain (or even jump ship for a competing service), should (for instance... this is hypothetically speaking for those of you who try to turn this around and attempt to say that I'm spreading lies) DirecTV by some act of Rowling-ian magic, be able to offer 200 national HD channels and Dish Network enable only 40 for presumably more money. ...or not jump ship if you don't see the value in the additional channels, but you would still complain that Dish had let itself fall behind in it's HD offerings.

Smith P, why do you think Dish Network exists? To donate each and every feature and service that it offers? No, they have a business model which includes making as much profit as the market will allow them to. Profit is not a bad thing, in fact it is a necessity, so they may continue to exist and continue to grow and prosper. Without profit, we would have little to no innovation (think of any communist regime and look at how their consumer electronics market has progressed).

You may regard those of us, planning to pay the enabling fee as those who are helping to drive the market forward, toward future "yet to be announced" features, that may or may not involve additional cost, and at that time, we will hopefully still have the "freedom" to choose if we want to pay for them.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Do you know if they (Dish) are going to enable the external drive feature on the 942?

I have been waiting for that for a long time as well.

They aren't going to enable it for the 942. But you know that, don't you, and are just making a point/beating a dead horse?

Are some folks still waiting for "someone" to enable color on their B&W TV?

SpenceJT

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 13, 2003
Madison, WI
Don't lecture me about business, companies and Dish particularly.
I'm not a kid and not in your class.

You still posting same propaganda as before - nothing really adding.

And total value of your lengthly post is 0.
Regardless of argumentation.

Out of curiosity, please enlighten me as to the specific "propaganda" that you speak of?

Have I been somehow incorrect in the nature of business?

Please enlighten me to the errors that I have apparently overlooked.

Tyralak

SatelliteGuys Master
Oct 21, 2003
Secure, Undisclosed Location
I will pay the $40 because I WANT IT!

Some of the people are moaning about the fee when they have multi thousands tied up in their home theater system. Does not sound like, to me, a one time $40 fee, would keep food from their table or clothes from their kids' back.

Pay the fee, don't pay the fee, or move on.

I know whining is allowed in the forums, but objectively, you wouldn't have Dish and you high end gear if you were on food stamps.

"There is no such thing as a free lunch" .. Milton Friedman (sp)

While I appreciate the quote from uncle Milty. (One of my favorite economists), the leaks that we hear about ahead of time about new features/fees are essentially trial balloons. Dish is testing the waters wanting to get an idea of public reaction to their proposed features/fees. So, if we don't give our opinions and feedback we have no one but ourselves to blame when we don't like the eventual permenant arrangement. If you have no problems with the ideas, say so. If you don't like them bitch to high heaven. Don't think Dish doesn't read these boards.

Tyralak

SatelliteGuys Master
Oct 21, 2003
Im paying $40 to be able to keep all my recordings in HD when I travel out of town for 2-3 weeks at a time.

It amazes me how many of you want to keep video archives of Dish network programming, I mean come on. Go buy dvd's/blu rays/hd dvd's.

Obviously because it's FREE to record it, and DVDs cost money. It's also legal to archive this stuff, as long as it's for your own use, so unless you just want the shiny DVD box, it's a complete waste of money.

8bitbytes

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
NoVA
Out of curiosity, please enlighten me as to the specific "propaganda" that you speak of?

Have I been somehow incorrect in the nature of business?

Please enlighten me to the errors that I have apparently overlooked.

He goes through this "behavior" every now and then - I just put him on the ignore list for awhile and then check back later to see if he has returned to normal...

wase4711

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jul 22, 2004
Outside Chicago
While I appreciate the quote from uncle Milty. (One of my favorite economists), the leaks that we hear about ahead of time about new features/fees are essentially trial balloons. Dish is testing the waters wanting to get an idea of public reaction to their proposed features/fees. So, if we don't give our opinions and feedback we have no one but ourselves to blame when we don't like the eventual permenant arrangement. If you have no problems with the ideas, say so. If you don't like them bitch to high heaven. Don't think Dish doesn't read these boards.

You hit the nail on the head...
I could easily afford the fee, but I will NOT pay it, as I think its greedy of Dish to charge 40 bucks to enable something that is already part of the equipment we have...If they would have marketed it that way from the beginning, saying that 6 months from now, we will enable external storage on this machine, and it will cost 40 bucks, it might have been a different story; but putting an access charge on this port now is a slap in the face to me...
And, please dont get me wrong, I love capitalism, and Dish has the right to charge as much as they want to for any feature they have now or in the future; I just refuse to pay for it, and I think at least 50% or more of the folks with a 622 will feel the same way.
The more folks that voice their displeasure at this, the better the chance the people from Dish will re-consider the amount..and, they DO read this board often.....

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
...as I think its greedy of Dish to charge 40 bucks to enable something that is already part of the equipment we have...If they would have marketed it that way from the beginning, saying that 6 months from now, we will enable external storage on this machine, and it will cost 40 bucks, it might have been a different story; but putting an access charge on this port now is a slap in the face to me...
Dish has never marketed the USB port as being for external storage, have they ?? The main ViP622 brochure mentions nothing about external storage.

Now, when Dish demo'd external storage back in Jan or Feb at CES (?), all anyone cared about was "when, when, when". Did Dish suggest or allude that they planned to charge for this feature ? At some point they did but I can't recall when I first heard it.

Smith P.

On Vacation
Oct 4, 2003
Bay Area, CA
I'm glad not all posters have that 'stockholders' syndrome.
And so far only real argument presented in the long thread:

Dish do it because they can.

If we as consumers ( I'd like to to pitch the case to Consumer Union panel ) treated that way and will raise our voice then those have-money-don't-care-ppl will skim the benefit of the resistance with a smile.

Tyralak

SatelliteGuys Master
Oct 21, 2003
You hit the nail on the head...
I could easily afford the fee, but I will NOT pay it, as I think its greedy of Dish to charge 40 bucks to enable something that is already part of the equipment we have...If they would have marketed it that way from the beginning, saying that 6 months from now, we will enable external storage on this machine, and it will cost 40 bucks, it might have been a different story; but putting an access charge on this port now is a slap in the face to me...
And, please dont get me wrong, I love capitalism, and Dish has the right to charge as much as they want to for any feature they have now or in the future; I just refuse to pay for it, and I think at least 50% or more of the folks with a 622 will feel the same way.
The more folks that voice their displeasure at this, the better the chance the people from Dish will re-consider the amount..and, they DO read this board often.....

Well said. And what many of us forget about capitalism from time to time is that capitalism is a conversation, not a lecture. Companies have the right to charge what they want and we respond to that by spending or not spending our money with them. So someone saying "well, that's capitalism. a company can charge whatever they want." That's true, but it's only half the story. A company can only charge what the market will bear. (exempting of course those industries to which traditional market forces do not apply. i.e. Oil, water, gas, electricity, or govt sponsered monopolys or ogliopolies) That's our part of the conversation. The response to the offer made by whatever company we're dealing with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)