Some Interesting Dish Info

No one time only for the $40 fee.

If a customer leaves Dish then they can no longer watch or access the moves they stored on the external hard drives.

No one time only for the $40 fee.

If a customer leaves Dish then they can no longer watch or access the moves they stored on the external hard drives.

How would they do that? If I unsubscribe and disconnect my box from the phone and dish it can't get any updates so won't it just continue to play the recordings I have stored on it as well as those on external devices?

You receiver will cease to function if you take it out of the satellite stream for a few weeks. So you could I guess watch moves from your hard drives for that period of time, that is unless they wont let you play from external sources if you dont have a satellite signal going to the recevier.

Scott, I'm doubt this is the case. You are right about packages suscription what written into smart card , IMO here we have a deal with a flag in NVRAM ie reciever HW, not in the card.

Nickel and Dime Dish!

Consider this....

Dish is charging $6/mo DVR service fee for DVRs with a hard drive over 100GB.
Dish is charging a one time $40 fee to enable external hard drive capacity.
Dish is considering charging a customer to access the "reserved" space on the hard drive that would normally be used for VOD services.

The last one is according to this thread on SatelliteGuys.us:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/100962-dish-dvr-survey-pay-reserved-space.html

All of these charges are for the same thing, using hard drive space. This is excessive, the term "nickel and diming dish" seems appropriate.

I wish the fees were only nickel and dimes though.

There is no reason to believe they are going to stop this nonsense.

Remember those vip 622 upgrades for $150 that are now FREE for most?

I bet if few sign up for the $39.95 ext HD fee dish will make it free someday or at least cut the price some.

How about a boycott?

I can't stand all of the people complaining about the cost. If you don't like it, switch providers, it's that simple. They are a business and need to make money and there will continue to be more fees and increases in fees over time. Would you be happy if your salary stayed the same year after year? Just as you want more money, so does Dish.

"If you don't like it, switch providers, it's that simple. "

Why exactly do I have to switch if I don't like it? I got a choice, I'm gonna pass. I don't need the feature, I'll pass. You don't have to tell people that they need to switch.

"If you don't like it, switch providers, it's that simple. "

Why exactly do I have to switch if I don't like it? I got a choice, I'm gonna pass. I don't need the feature, I'll pass. You don't have to tell people that they need to switch.

Good point, in this instance (add on storage) you do not need to switch, just don't pay for the option/upgrade.

I can't stand all of the people complaining about the cost. If you don't like it, switch providers, it's that simple. They are a business and need to make money and there will continue to be more fees and increases in fees over time. Would you be happy if your salary stayed the same year after year? Just as you want more money, so does Dish.

I see. Actually, I agree with you a little bit. I don't care for complainers that don't give a solid argument for their positiion. However, I have to ask if you think I shouldn't voice my opinion because it is different than yours primetimeguy?

I listed why I thought dish was being excessive. If you disagree with it, then I would really like to hear why you think the cost is justified. If you think my reasoning is faulty, I would like to hear why. Do you disagree that the DVR Service fee is for hard drives over 100GB? Do you think that other thread asking if we would pay to access the reserved space on our drives is fake? Is there something I didn't understand right about the $40 fee for allowing extra hard drive space? I don't think we should be charged three times for the same thing - hard drive space. I really want to hear why others think we should pay all of these fees both monthly and non recurring.

So far I haven't heard anyone give a counter argument to why I said dish is being trigger happy with fees.

Dish is looking at what happens here. It looks like people aren't buying the VOD. From dish's perspective, they need to lower the price or do something else. Looks like they are looking for a new way to charge. If customers pay, dish will find new fees - it makes good business sense for them. They also try to figure out the maximum fee they can charge such that the most people will pay it. Dish learns based on what we do with our wallets. It is useful to look at the bigger picture when we make a decision to pay or not pay these fees.

What I havent posted yet (and what was hinted to me yesterday) is that Dish may be licencing some technology for doing all of this from other companies. (Guess they don't want anymore patent suits) :D

So if this is true it makes even more sense to me what they are charging for it.

What I havent posted yet (and what was hinted to me yesterday) is that Dish may be licencing some technology for doing all of this from other companies. (Guess they don't want anymore patent suits) :D

So if this is true it makes even more sense to me what they are charging for it.
Just another PR trick to convince ppl to pay. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts