Some newbie questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lovesthewild

Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Hey sattellite guys,

I'm new to sattellite and have not ordered directv yet but will before the end of the year because of the deals they are currently marketing. I have a 46 inch Samsung HD TV on the way and will be here by next week. Here are some newbie questions (thanks for any/all answers ahead of time),

1) There is a choice of HD or DVR receiver that is free (after instant rebate). What criteria do I use to make a choice? Since the TV is a new HD one, do I really need an HD receiver? Isn't that built in or is that only for over the air type antennas?

2) If I was to choose the DVR, does that already include an HD receiver, or would I really have to go for the HD-DVR to get both? In other words, if I add the $9.99 HD package (why wouldn't I), then do I need either the HD receiver or HD-DVR? I assume the basic DVR that comes free would not be adequate? True? Is it really a matter of just whether or not I want to record in HD or not?

3) Can I hook up a normal old VCR and record channels that are not in HD? What happens when you record HD channels (or is this even possible and the only way to do it is using a DVR)?

4) If I choose only an HD receiver (since I am assuming that I need one but maybe not), can I add a DVR later and not purchase from Directv? I'm not a fan of shelling out an additional $199.00 at start up time but maybe that's the best option. Definitely looking for opinions on this one. I would assume that, even if I didn't opt for a DVR up front, I could add one (either the one from Directv or another one) at a later date. I also assume that I still would have to activate the additional DVR montly server as well. (Ah, so many choices, so little knowledge).

5) For me, being a huge NHL fan, I'll be interested in many of the RSNs that seem to be adding at a good pace over the past few months. Looks like FSN-Detroit in HD is available along with several others with more to com. Is there any reason to order the Sportspack which adds many of the FSN channels which are being added to the HD package anyway. Should I just svae $9.99 a month and skip it? I'm especially interested in FSN-Detroit and FSN-North in HD.

Thanks much for any/all advice. I'll be ordering soon so I can get the most out of my new toy. :confused:

You don't need an HD receiver, but if you want to watch HD programming you do.

The only built in tuner is for over-the-air.

If you don't want to record shows, you don't need a DVR.

If you want a DVR and HD programming, you need the HD-DVR (HR20, HR21).

You could record the output of an HD receiver onto something else (VCR, DVD Recorder), but short of using a PC there's not much that will record in HD, so if you want to record in HD, you're best off with an HD-DVR.

Thanks for the clarification Andrewwski. What I think you are saying is that the HD receiver is a descrambler for the HD content coming from the satellite, correct? So definitely necessary. So it comes down to really an HD receiver or an HD-DVR since HD is really what I'm looking for. The DVR is not an option since then I would not get HD to my TV.

That helps. Thanks.

1) There is a choice of HD or DVR receiver that is free (after instant rebate). What criteria do I use to make a choice? Since the TV is a new HD one, do I really need an HD receiver? Isn't that built in or is that only for over the air type antennas?

Yes, you need an HD receiver to get HD programming from the satellite.

2) If I was to choose the DVR, does that already include an HD receiver, or would I really have to go for the HD-DVR to get both? In other words, if I add the $9.99 HD package (why wouldn't I), then do I need either the HD receiver or HD-DVR? I assume the basic DVR that comes free would not be adequate? True? Is it really a matter of just whether or not I want to record in HD or not?

If you want to use DVR service and watch HD programming, you need an HD DVR. The standard DVR will let you watch or record only SD programming, which you will hate on that brand new TV, trust me. The HD receiver will let you watch, but not record (obviously) HD and SD programming. If you want to watch and record HD...

3) Can I hook up a normal old VCR and record channels that are not in HD? What happens when you record HD channels (or is this even possible and the only way to do it is using a DVR)?

Honestly, I can't remember if the newer HD receivers have a coax output or not, but I'm thinking they don't. I think they only have S-Video (maybe) and the HD outputs (component and HDMI) that your VCR wouldn't accept. In theory, you could figure out a way to hook up the VCR to record something, but it's probably not worth the energy. If you're getting HD, you want to watch HD, right?

4) If I choose only an HD receiver (since I am assuming that I need one but maybe not), can I add a DVR later and not purchase from Directv? I'm not a fan of shelling out an additional $199.00 at start up time but maybe that's the best option. Definitely looking for opinions on this one. I would assume that, even if I didn't opt for a DVR up front, I could add one (either the one from Directv or another one) at a later date. I also assume that I still would have to activate the additional DVR montly server as well. (Ah, so many choices, so little knowledge).

You're pretty much always going to be getting them from DirecTV or someone affiliated with DirecTV in some way, and even if you don't, you still have to activate it through them and there are other costs (and risks) associated with that. There have been stories (mine included) of people getting upgraded to an HD-DVR for free after having their account for a while, but I don't think this is happening too much any more. Overall, if you're going to get an HD DVR, you're probably better off just taking your $100 credit and getting it now. There is the chance that you'd get stuck with a $299 charge later...

5) For me, being a huge NHL fan, I'll be interested in many of the RSNs that seem to be adding at a good pace over the past few months. Looks like FSN-Detroit in HD is available along with several others with more to com. Is there any reason to order the Sportspack which adds many of the FSN channels which are being added to the HD package anyway. Should I just svae $9.99 a month and skip it? I'm especially interested in FSN-Detroit and FSN-North in HD.

The regional sports networks are not included in the $9.99 fee for HD. Technically, no channels are included in that fee. What you're getting are the HD versions of channels you already pay for as part of your packages. So, if you don't have the sports pack, you don't get those channels in SD or HD. Also, even if you do have the sports pack, you won't get the games on those channels, unless you're in the local area for that channel. You'll have to purchase the Center Ice package if you want to see the games.

If you paid big $$ for your samsung HD TV, get HD programming.
There is no point of having HD TV if you are not going to watch it in HD...

I would recommend to get HD receiver over DVR. Get HDDVR over HD receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.