Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Thought you guys would like to see this...

These numbers are from January 1st, 2017 until today April 6, 2017.

overview.png

What percentage are using the SatelliteGuys Reader app and pure Tapatalk?

Tapatalk and the SatelliteGuys Reader app are measured as the same thing.

Here are the latest numbers...

This is the weekly report for SatelliteGuys.US usage in Tapatalk

Plug In Status
Installed Version: xf10_3.1.15
Latest Version: xf10_3.1.15

Daily Active Users
IOS: 127
Android: 25

Other Metric:
New Registrations: 4

Reactions: navychop
Seems like the mobile devices would be a whole lot higher.
You have to be reasonably active to bother with installing the app. Browsers are more popular with "lurkers" as they don't require the commitment of learning a different system and chewing up precious storage on their device.

Reactions: charlesrshell
It will likely surprise many to learn that Edge's UA string identifies itself as everything but IE with "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/42.0.2311.135 Safari/537.36 Edge/12.10136" (namely Firefox and derivatives, iOS's massively flawed WebKit, Chrome, Safari and Edge). IE11's UA string identifies it as Firefox and "Trident" (a proprietary Microsoft browser scheme -- MSHTML). IE used to introduce itself as Mosaic if I recall correctly

Using the UA string alone would require that you isolate the presence of "Edge" before you scan for other UA IDs. The UA string will tell you if they're using Edge, but if you aren't careful, it will look like all the other browsers (Opera advertises as Chrome because it is mostly Chrome with lipstick).

What a browser advertises as must be very carefully parsed as Microsoft isn't particularly hesitant to advertise general capabilities that their products may or may not have. In terms of actual capabilities, there's another system that is used to try calling the function using javascript. If the test call fails, the feature isn't implemented.

Chrome on a desktop here! Can you tell what OS is being used?
The Mozilla information usually includes the OS. For Chrome you would have to dig a bit deeper. There are ways of telling, but they require probing much deeper than the UA string. The theory is that web browsers should make the web OS agnostic.

Reactions: dishdude
Chrome is the only way to go, I like it more than Firefox. In the 2000s era Firefox was great, after 2010 Chrome really took off, its fast, slick, well maintained and clean.
If only they could stem the tide of vulnerabilities with Chrome. January and February combined for over 50 issues with compromising bugs of varying severity. Chrome is the only thing keeping Adobe, Cisco and Microsoft from owning all the worst code.

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/search/re...ch_type=last3months&query=Chrome&startIndex=0

Reactions: DRCars
The only thing I use Chrome for are the few sites that still require Adobe Flash. I use Firefox for everything else. I got sick of the constant security problems and updates to fix these problems that came with both Flash and Java so I uninstalled them from all my PCs. Luckily the vast majority of sites I visit work completely fine without Flash or Java installed. I can't even tell the difference since removing them a couple years ago.

There are a couple services I use that require Flash though. I often listen to radio broadcasts of Tigers day games through my MLB.tv subscription or audio books from Audible through my browser while I'm working. To my disappointment, both of these services still require Flash.

Chrome has Flash built into the browser and security updates happen automatically when the browser updates. Supposedly Flash runs in a "sandbox" that is separate from the rest of your PC so it's safer than installing Flash on a system level and running it through a plugin like you would with Firefox. I don't know whether this is true or not but it's what I've read. What I do know is that Chrome lets me use MLB.tv and Audible without dealing with Flash updates and Firefox gives me the security of not having Flash involved with the rest of my web browsing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts