some programs on locals supposed to be in hd, but not

Status
Please reply by conversation.

obeythelaw

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 26, 2004
New Jersey
anyone notice that some channels like CBS (the NY local), are supposed to have a program in HD but it doesn't show as HD? I mean, take an NFL game. On CBS, the guide says that its HD but its really not. Other channels like Bravo HD or even HBO sometimes, a program is not broadcast in HD even though the guide says that it should be HD. I'm assuming this isn't a DirecTV thing. BUt, how come these channels don't broadcast something in HD even though it is an HD program? I sometimes feel like I'm being cheated.

Their HD sucks. I'm so sick and tired of flipping to channel 94 looking for a Yankee game and it isn't there.

obeythelaw,

Generally speaking, if it's listed to be in HD and it is not, it is due to the Network not sending it out in HD, however I have looked for shows to be in HD and found them not,(locally), IF I can get thru to the local station, If anyone is there, and the Network IS sending it in HD they will flip the switch and it will be on after the next commercial....
So sometimes it is local and other times not.

I will usually turn antenna up to the larger market and see if they are in HD, then I will know if the local is telling me a line of BS or not.

Locally , the standard response (on a few of them ) Is , IF the Network sends it in HD we pass it along.

Although I know that is not always the case, because I have seen them change it to HD when questioned.

Keep in mind that the Local network top priority still is the ANALOG signal...Not HD, probably 10-15 % have HD if that. so analog is still top dog for now.

Jimbo

thanks for the explanation. just as a quick example, today, on CBS at 1:00 was a Jets game. It indicated on the guide that it was in HD but it didn't show up in HD. This is the second week in a row that it wasn't. However, the games on FOX are all in HD. I think i may give a call into the station next week. thanks

obeythelaw said:
thanks for the explanation. just as a quick example, today, on CBS at 1:00 was a Jets game. It indicated on the guide that it was in HD but it didn't show up in HD. This is the second week in a row that it wasn't. However, the games on FOX are all in HD. I think i may give a call into the station next week. thanks

The Jets-Jags game was not produced in HD by CBS, therefore you could not have received it in HD. CBS only does 3 HD games a week, while FOX does up to 6. This week's CBS HD games were Bengals-Bears, Raiders-Eagles, Patriots-Steelers.

obeythelaw,

Check on the forum, usually on Thursday DTV sends out the line up for what will be in HD.
Someone on the forum usually posts it.

I know,it's sad that we have to pay extra money and only get 1/3rd of the games in HD

I watched the Jets today and was dissapointed that it was not in HD, seemed like a game that should be.

On the bright side Your Giants are on in HD tonight, and looking good since the 2nd Q. started.

Jimbo

thanks to all for the generous explanation. i had assumed that since i was get the ny locals that all the games were in hd. i didn't know that the networks only produced some games in HD. So it's really a network decision?
Yeah, the ESPNHD is a great channel and the giants game looked superb. Unfortunately, as great as HD looked the Giants didn't look any better in the second half. :-(

stewart715 said:
Their HD sucks. I'm so sick and tired of flipping to channel 94 looking for a Yankee game and it isn't there.

Very surprised that they are doing this. Cablevision had the game in HD on sunday. On DirecTv it was not even broadcasted on channel 94. :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)