Some Questions About D*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Larry

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
Southern California
It's looking like MLB Extra Innings is about a done deal for D*. :( So, I guess I'll be subscribing to D* for the first time. My problem is...I know little about the hardware requirements for D*, so I don't quite know what to ask for when I setup the install. With baseball season starting soon, I'll need to contact DTV early enough to be setup and running by the end of March.

I have an HDTV in the living room, an HDTV in the family room, and analog TVs in each of two bedrooms. The ideal setup would include 2 HD-DVRs in the living room (we record a lot of network TV, but watch sports live), 1 HD-DVR in the family room, and a separate box in each of the two bedrooms.

I'm pretty sure I'll need the 5 lnb dish, but what about switches? Should I call DTV with my entire order, or should I buy some of the equipment at CC or BB and then call DTV for the rest under the "free install"? What general direction will the dish be looking in the Tampa, FL area...and will I be able to use the roof mount from my E* dish 500?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! :)

Call D*. The installation, dish,cable and switch will be free, unless you have something unusual in mind. Better hurry because there is a pretty big wait right now for HD installs.

It's looking like MLB Extra Innings is about a done deal for D*. :( So, I guess I'll be subscribing to D* for the first time. My problem is...I know little about the hardware requirements for D*, so I don't quite know what to ask for when I setup the install. With baseball season starting soon, I'll need to contact DTV early enough to be setup and running by the end of March.

I have an HDTV in the living room, an HDTV in the family room, and analog TVs in each of two bedrooms. The ideal setup would include 2 HD-DVRs in the living room (we record a lot of network TV, but watch sports live), 1 HD-DVR in the family room, and a separate box in each of the two bedrooms.

I'm pretty sure I'll need the 5 lnb dish, but what about switches? Should I call DTV with my entire order, or should I buy some of the equipment at CC or BB and then call DTV for the rest under the "free install"? What general direction will the dish be looking in the Tampa, FL area...and will I be able to use the roof mount from my E* dish 500?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! :)

As a new customer you definately want to contact DirecTV directly for the best deal. With that many HD DVRs you will most likely be paying for some of that, it won't all be free.

Basically just tell them you need what you just stated:
3 HD DVRs
2 SD receivers

Don't confuse them with model numbers unless you get a bright CSR. But the HD DVRS will be model HR20-700 (just HR20 for short).
The SD receiver may be the newer D12 but could be an older model.

You will definately get/want the 5 LNB dish and you get a multiswitch all installed for free with the install. No need to worry there. Luckily you only need 8 total outputs so that fits perfectly with the free Zinwell WB68 8 port switch you'll get. If you think you need more then 8 then I'd ask for the 16 port switch (may have to pay for it).

You might be able to actually do most of this online at the DirecTV web site. Give it a try and see what it adds up for you. Don't like the deal then give 'em a call.

Good luck!

EDIT: As for dish mount, I doubt it since the Slimline you'll get needs a 2 inch pipe so unless what you have now is 2 inches then you'll probably get a new mount. I'd suggest a pole in the backyard if you can for best stability.

Thanks for all the info. My install is scheduled for 2/19 PM. Hopefully the installer will show up in the early part of the window.

I have RG6 pulled through the house from my Dishnet days. I had two legacy (not Dish Pro) SW64s connected so there are 8 output cables (just enough). These are good quality cables...so should I have them replaced or just use them? When I had digital Cable TV installed last year, I had them pull all new cables (also RG6). I wouldn't let them use my Dishnet cabling. Would this cabling meet Direct's requirements?

I suppose I could have the whole house recabled again, but if I have what is needed it seems unnecessary to do it all again...plus I'd rather not get stuck with a big install bill if I can avoid it. :)

Thanks for all the info. My install is scheduled for 2/19 PM. Hopefully the installer will show up in the early part of the window.

I have RG6 pulled through the house from my Dishnet days. I had two legacy (not Dish Pro) SW64s connected so there are 8 output cables (just enough). These are good quality cables...so should I have them replaced or just use them? When I had digital Cable TV installed last year, I had them pull all new cables (also RG6). I wouldn't let them use my Dishnet cabling. Would this cabling meet Direct's requirements?

I suppose I could have the whole house recabled again, but if I have what is needed it seems unnecessary to do it all again...plus I'd rather not get stuck with a big install bill if I can avoid it. :)

If your gonna do it, and you'll get it free, most of it, I would let them use your existing cables, unless you have other things going on with them.
Don't forget, if your going to use an OTA antenna,it will need it's own run, no diplexing with the 5 LNB set up.

Jimbo

Larry,
Note that you will need two(2) lines run to each DVR. This is sometimes an issue because most prewired homes have one (1) wire in the wall. Both wires wire go from the multiswitch to the receiver. Any rg 6 cable works fine and all rg 59 causes problems with the HD.
The new slimline 5LNB dish seems to have less bugs than the earlier AT9. Go for the pole in concrete if you have a sight line for it. Roof mounting will haunt you over the years and it is too heavy for hangng on a wall.

Good luck,

Joe

Larry,
Note that you will need two(2) lines run to each DVR. This is sometimes an issue because most prewired homes have one (1) wire in the wall. Both wires wire go from the multiswitch to the receiver. Any rg 6 cable works fine and all rg 59 causes problems with the HD.
The new slimline 5LNB dish seems to have less bugs than the earlier AT9. Go for the pole in concrete if you have a sight line for it. Roof mounting will haunt you over the years and it is too heavy for hangng on a wall.

Good luck,

Joe

Your only point I would disagree with is the wall mounting issue. Correctly bolted to a wall stud with the monopoles installed, a wall mount is no problem.

raoul,
As you said, "correctly mounted...on a stud" will work fine. It is just harder to do correctly and the chance for damage goes up.

What I have seen are molly bolts into sheathing. This punctures the vapor barrier and the weight of the dish offset is not properly supported. The extra arms really are needed but add more holes Eventually the mast rotates down and off the wall leacing a new window. Even if you hit the stud the compression of the siding is permanent as are the holes.

And lawm mowers hit poles.......It is hard to do perfect,cheap, attractive, moderatly priced, craftman like, fast work.

Joe

Just in case you missed Jimbo's response, you CAN'T diplex an OTA feed on the sat coax with the Ka band dish/switch, so make sure you have three coax feeds to your HD DVR's if you plan on adding an OTA to pick up any local HD channels that D* doesn't carry.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts