Some Sonictap channels missing

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The point I was making is on most installs for HD they will do a slimline 3LNB unless there is a warrant for 119. Most bigger cities locals SD version are on 101 so they can get by with a 3LNB. If you have SD locals on 119 or you order Spanish programming (as jaj did with his original order) then they are forced to do a 5LNB dish

The point I was making is on most installs for HD they will do a slimline 3LNB unless there is a warrant for 119. Most bigger cities locals SD version are on 101 so they can get by with a 3LNB. If you have SD locals on 119 or you order Spanish programming (as jaj did with his original order) then they are forced to do a 5LNB dish

How much extra does it cost to put the 5LNB dish in to begin with?

As far as I can tell, they are legally required to supply those extra SonicTap channels at no cost to subscribers, because that is how they are advertised.

My guess is that 90 percent of DTV customers don't know or care that they aren't getting the channels they are paying for. I am in the other 10 percent . .:)

How much extra does it cost to put the 5LNB dish in to begin with?

As far as I can tell, they are legally required to supply those extra SonicTap channels at no cost to subscribers, because that is how they are advertised.

My guess is that 90 percent of DTV customers don't know or care that they aren't getting the channels they are paying for. I am in the other 10 percent . .:)

Yes i agree as in my case i was installed with the 3 lnb and have the sports pack but could not get fox sports espanol. I called and they said i need a upgrade that would cost about $100, i said no way im paying for a upgrade that channel in my SP that i'm paying for , So i was forced to ask for a supervisor and she agreed with me with out a fight so i was upgraded for free, Hope this helps also for new install's so that they get the right setup the first time.

That's the whole issue...

Directv is completely in the wrong here...

When they advertise that you get certain programming with a certain package you pay for you should the right equipment needed to receive the ENTIRE programming.

I hope the word gets out big time on this issue...because I don't think its just 10% of people who care...I honestly think people just aren't aware. Once they become aware that they aren't getting 100% of what they pay for then trust me...directv will be getting tons more calls/complaints about this.

What's the big deal about installing a 5lnb swm the first visit? Why make the customer discover that they aren't getting all their music channels and have to go through the inconvenience / time of fighting about it and then having to get another tech to come out to fix the screw up in the beginning.

In my opinion Directv either needs to change the marketing to match the equipment they want to install or put a CLEAR disclaimer that all these channels may or may not come in based on the equipment installed.

I thought there were laws against this sort of bait and switch tactic. Time will tell.....

Steve in Denver

also...

When you said that most techs will install a 3lnb unless a 5lnb is warranted. That's the whole issue. As long a customer is paying for programming, sonic music channels or whatever, that are on that 4th satellite 119...then a 5lnb IS WARRANTED from the beginning. Anything else is cheating the customer. There is no other way to look at it.

Steve in Denver

I hate to play devil's advocate but the sat providers will find a way to weasel out of that. Dish has been doing that for YEARS with the Public Interest Channels. Per the FCC I think its 4% of channel bandwidth has to be allocated for PI channels. Dish had PI channels on 61.5 & 148 for years yet was still installing Dish 500's for 110/119. The only people who knew about those stations were people who found out and complained.

Hell right now they have 4 channels on 129 (3ABN, Pentagon, Almavision and Classic Arts) yet they still do D500 installs so folks arent getting all their channels

this disclaimer is at the bottom of the directv.com/music webpage.

"Note: Some channels my require a DIRECTV Multi-Satellite System."

What happened is you never needed 119 unless you wanted some Spanish language music.
They recently added some new sonic tap channels that Iceberg point out that are temporarily on 119. Most people done even care as they simply dont listen to the music channels. Now we are taking this on a case by case situation if you feel so cheated then call us up and for most people they be more then happy to upgrade the lnb for you. If you not happy with that answer well I dont know what to say.

"They recently added some new sonic tap channels that are temporarily on 119."

The issue is how "temporary" this move is. It has been going on for several months. Let's not forget, not only is it an expense for DTV to have to come out again and replace the LNB, it is also a hassle for the customer to have to miss the channels, call up the CSR who is usually not up to speed on the issue, then schedule the appointment and have the technician come out again.

We are talking about 16 audio channels. How much bandwidth could they take and why can't they move it to one of the other 3 satellites?

The "disclaimer" only refers to the Public Interest Stations, and simply means if you want them and they are on the wrong LNB for you, you will have to pay for it yourself. I have no problem with that.

This whole thread is about getting the Music Channels that we are entitled to, not the Public Interest Channels.

Last edited:
The "disclaimer" only refers to the Public Interest Stations, and simply means if you want them and they are on the wrong LNB for you, you will have to pay for it yourself. I have no problem with that.

This whole thread is about getting the Music Channels that we are entitled to, not the Public Interest Channels.

so how is it different? IT ISN'T. Technically you are missing stations. Now whether they are tv channels or music channels that point is moot.
Those Public Interest channels folks are entitled to. So lets throw it this way. What if you didnt give 2 s**ts about the music channels but signed up and noticed you didnt get "Hope Channel" (which is also on 119) and that was a channel you wanted.
So according to you, you should have to pay to get a dish upgrade then.

follow what stonecold said (since he works for D*)
Now we are taking this on a case by case situation if you feel so cheated then call us up and for most people they be more then happy to upgrade the lnb for you. If you not happy with that answer well I dont know what to say.

I am just trying to be honest most people dont even care if there are audio channels just like most people cont care for Public Interest channels. Now that small percentage who want the PI channels or the english audio channels. Again we handle this on a case by case basis, Generally this is handled by tech support, screaming at billing will not do you any good. Where if you really want them we can generally issue a free service call to swap out lnbs.

As for how temporary the move is. I dont know from what I was told until the big hd push is finished there will be some moving around still. But like I said if it is that important for you call us up . Just for most customer they dont watch them and they simply dont care.

We are talking about 16 audio channels.

Choice Package: 8 Channels
Adult Comtemporary: Metro Blend
Jazz - - 3 channels
Specialty: Great Standards
Specialty: Rat Pack
Latin -- 2 Channels

Choice Xtra: 11 Channels
ALL Above +
Irish
Oldies Hits: Familiar Favorites
Urban: Groove Lounge

Choice Ultimate: 14 Channels
ALL Above +
Instrumental: Tranquility
Italian Blend
Specialty: Holidays and Happenings

Premier Package: 18 Channels
ALL Above +
Instrumental: Piano
Italian Contemporary
Latin: Carnaval Brasileiro
Latin: Regional Mexican

Regular Programming
HOPE Channel (Choice)
Jewish Life Channel (Choice)
HITN TV (Choice)
HDNet (Choice)
ONCE Mexico (Choice)
Fox Sports en Espanol (Premier)

As the man was saying - MOST customers are not real concerned about the missing Sonic Tap channels - I've have maybe 3 customers ask about them in general and only 1 (coincidentally enough - this was 2 weeks ago) actually wanted them - and the 2 stations they tried to check when I first activated the IRD's were HOPE and Jewish Life. I promptly got them changed over to a 5 LNB. Not a big deal for me as a tech. However, the work order did say SL3 LNB.

As the man was saying - MOST customers are not real concerned about the missing Sonic Tap channels - I've have maybe 3 customers ask about them in general and only 1 (coincidentally enough - this was 2 weeks ago) actually wanted them - and the 2 stations they tried to check when I first activated the IRD's were HOPE and Jewish Life. I promptly got them changed over to a 5 LNB. Not a big deal for me as a tech. However, the work order did say SL3 LNB.

As a tech I sure you seen alot of things. Out of your knowledge how many times have you had a Service call to go from SL3 to SL5 LNB because someone wanted those PI channels or the extra audio. I get one across my desk someon asking for a sup with out getting to the right department like once a month about this issue if that and I take about 30 or so sup calls a day . Most of the time we when we do a sl3 to sl5 change it it happend to be ceacuse somone wanted teh espanol package and missing the channels so we issue a SC out.

As a tech I sure you seen alot of things. Out of your knowledge how many times have you had a Service call to go from SL3 to SL5 LNB because someone wanted those PI channels or the extra audio. I get one across my desk someon asking for a sup with out getting to the right department like once a month about this issue if that and I take about 30 or so sup calls a day . Most of the time we when we do a sl3 to sl5 change it it happend to be ceacuse somone wanted teh espanol package and missing the channels so we issue a SC out.

I've never had to do a 3 -> 5 LNB change on a service call. I've done a few 5 -> 3 changes because of Line of Sight issues with trees growing out to block the 119 since the original install - and most of those have been 5 - 10 yrs after the install.

In January 2009 when I upgraded to HD, I placed the order and it said I was ordering a 5 lnb dish. So the install was done. When the installer left, I tried to view Once since I speak some Spanish and occasionally want to watch some of the programming. I called within 2 days to complain that I didn't get Once. They sent me bbc's to use with an H23 to try to fix the problem. Of course that didn't fix the missing channels. In fact, as everyone knows it made my H23 give me the "you don't need these message", but I humored them and installed them and then called in with the error message. So they sent out another installer who then installed the 5 lnb dish.

I think it is really sad that they don't clearly explain this to the customer, who after the tech leaves, goes looking for the channels they think they are getting and find out that they don't get those channels. It should be clearly explained at the time of the install. The assumption that I didn't care about the Spanish channels because I'm Anglo is just a stupid assumption. Same goes with channels like JLTV or Free Speech TV. Installers can't assume that those channels are not important to customers. Honesty is the best policy. DTV made it right, but it should have been right in the first place. I was also told at the time when the 5 lnb dish was installed that 119 was being shut down soon so that's why the guy had installed the 3 lnb in the first place. That was 1 yr 8 months ago and more is on 119 than it was then so what was with that story?

So this has been going on for a while. I guess in the great scheme not that many know or complain, so DTV is playing the numbers; but I think it is a poor policy.

This shouldn't even be an issue if....

If directv would simply install the correct dish (5lnb) to get what a customer pays for. If Directv's packages gives you X number of channels then when that tech leaves the customer should receive X number of channels. That's what they are paying for...that's what they should get. Quit playing these stupid assumption games. (assuming customers won't notice...or assuming customers won't care...etc.)

If Directv is doing what they are supposed to be doing (under the law) they should be installing 5lnb dishes on all orders....OR remove the channels from the lineup packages that are on sat 119.

This isn't that difficult of a concept.

Steve in Denver

If directv would simply install the correct dish (5lnb) to get what a customer pays for. If Directv's packages gives you X number of channels then when that tech leaves the customer should receive X number of channels. That's what they are paying for...that's what they should get. Quit playing these stupid assumption games. (assuming customers won't notice...or assuming customers won't care...etc.)

If Directv is doing what they are supposed to be doing (under the law) they should be installing 5lnb dishes on all orders....OR remove the channels from the lineup packages that are on sat 119.

Steve in Denver

It's a way of false advertising (bait and switch) saying your getting something but not, thats not right. Direct should give you what they advertise.

Now that that's is out of the way what would be involved to get 119? If I pointed another dish at it what switch would I need to use?

I'll have to check the multiple places I get DMX (Sonictap) on C band and see if those music channels are there. I think Direct gets their feeds from the DVB feed on G-17 If not there I can check Comcast HITS on AMC-18 or the LA feed on Intelsat 9.

Steve in Denver

Please show me where you paid for your dish and that it said 5lnb on th workd order. If it was Steve I will run it up to my boss and demand they make it right. Otherwise I told you if you felt cheated we often would replace it for free for you any way. but you didnt hear that all you seem to want to do is beat a dead horse.

Thanks to you folks here, I discovered Sonic tap channels that I should be getting. I do listen to sat music for several hours each day using my Bose system...An installer will once again have to make a 25 mile trip back out to my house for something that could have been installed initially, just like my DECA thing.
I found out that I can't hit rewind to hear a favorite song again. Bummer.

Steve in Denver

At least Directv warns you...as I've posted before on the channel list it says
*The following channels require a special dish or equipment: MHz, GEM NET, Hope Channel, JLTV, Once, HITN, V-Me, Enlace, Golden Eagle Broadcasting, and Free Speech TV. Please call 1-800-531-5000 for more information.

Since MHZ & GEM are on 95W I guess I should be bitching to D* that I want a 95W dish setup to get **all** my channels :rolleyes:
I'll even top that...to Get GEB & FSTV I need a MEPG4 receiver and a slimline. Well then D* should send me a HR24 because I want to see Golden Eagle Broadcasting ;)

At least D* tells you about that. Dish doesn't on their site about the PI channels on 129W and they still install D500's

"At least Directv warns you...as I've posted before on the channel list it says
*The following channels require a special dish or equipment: MHz, GEM NET, Hope Channel, JLTV, Once, HITN, V-Me, Enlace, Golden Eagle Broadcasting, and Free Speech TV. Please call 1-800-531-5000 for more information."

Iceberg,

When are you going to figure out that we are all talking about the Sonictap Music Channels, NOT the various public service stations?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)