Some Sonictap channels missing

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Iceberg,

When are you going to figure out that we are all talking about the Sonictap Music Channels, NOT the various public service stations?

and when are you going to figure out its the same thing whether its audio or video channels. Also stonecold mentioned that on the D* site it says for those (apparently to you those "precious" music channels)

this disclaimer is at the bottom of the directv.com/music webpage.

"Note: Some channels my require a DIRECTV Multi-Satellite System."

Its the same complaint. Both the video and audio only channels there is a disclaimer in regards to some channels requiring a multiLNB dish :)

Its the same complaint. Both the video and audio only channels there is a disclaimer in regards to some channels requiring a multiLNB dish :)

First, a 3 lnb dish is a multi lnb dish, too, but it won't get you 119. Also when I placed my order in Jan of 2009, my order ( I have no idea of the work order) clearly said 5 lnb dish, so that's what I thought I would be getting. Instead I got a 3 lnb dish and had to call and finally a truck rolled and it got fixed, which is great -- no additional charge to me.

I don't think the issue is the disclaimer. I had read and understood the disclaimer. I think the issue is people ordering, wanting all or some of the 119 channels, music or TV, and no customer survey being done before the 3 lnb dish is installed rather than the 5. If they had merely explained or asked my expectations it would have saved DTV a truck roll. Some of us just want it right the first time (and no, at the time the visual difference between the 5 and the 3 was not clear to me as it is now). All I knew is that I was getting, from the order I placed, a 5 lnb dish and a 3 was installed instead.

Maybe the disclaimer should say, "unless you stay with your installer and make sure he installs a dish that looks like this (insert pic of 5 lnb) instead of this (insert pic of 3 lnb) you will not get the following channels." I appreciate that if you catch it in time they make it right at no additional charge, but wouldn't it be more cost effective to get it right the first time, or have a different ordering system where the customer needs can clearly be surveyed? If a 3 lnb is then installed due to line of sight issues the installer needs to explain so the customer fully understands what and why. That saves calls and truck rolls. It also saves on PO'd customers.

I only caught it because I wanted Once and the other 119 Spanish channels in my package from the get go and knew that I needed a 5 lnb dish to get them even though I wasn't sure what that dish looked like relative to the 3 lnb dish.

So the disclaimer is only part of the story. The other part is doing a customer needs and expectation survey as well as a site survey. Don't get me wrong. I understand defending DTV. I've been with DTV for 10 years so they are doing something right. My issues were solved with no additional cost to me. I guess that I'm just standing up for the disappointed customers who are missing any channels they truly want to get because I had thought what happened to me was an isolated incident. I'm saddened to find out that it is not.

The hilarious thing is that they have about 40 different shopping channels that nobody watches on the three main satellites, so there is NO ROOM for the audio channels that most people who have DTV really care about. If DTV ever got rid of their music channels, 25 percent of the customers would cancel their account. That is one of the main reasons I subscribe to DTV. I don't listen to FM radio, mainly Sonictap.

I'm not beating a dead horse here...

We're tap dancing around the issue. I'm not BLAMING the techs...I understand 100% that they are going to install what's on the work order. If a 3lnb is on the order then that's what they are bringing and installling. I get it.

The blame lies with Directv's business office 100%. If any of you would simply go to their website and look at the packages you order with them. It lists very specifically what sonictap music channels one gets with each package. If Directv is selling these packages then whoever creates the order MUST make sure the customer is getting the correct 5lnb dish to get those channels...and this is where the problem lies.

Now I suppose it might be a good idea that techs (NOW AWARE) of this issue and problem bring it up to management because it could be negative exposure to the company as a whole and is hurting the customer experience.

I'm a Broadband Technician with Qwest here in Denver and if there was something we were offering to our customers that wasn't being done right in the business office that was upsetting customers or making my job harder I would forward that issue right away so it doesn't happen again. I'm sure there is an expense that your management can realize to send another truck out to swap that 3lnb to a 5lnb. (it does cost $$$ to have to roll another truck out to a customer's house the 2nd time) Maybe that's how Directv techs should approach management on this issue.

The bottom result should be customer satisfaction...regardless of which department screwed up...marketing...business office...etc. If the problem gets discovered by the technician and the technician has the power/ability to get it right for the customer the first time...then by all means do it! It's just a part of a technicians job having the direct face to face contact with the customers that most of the time we have to initiate and pass along this sort of stuff to management.

My challenge to the Directv techs on this board is to question all orders with the 3lnb dishes on them that they aren't the correct equipment to give new customers all the channels they ordered. Refer your manager to the Directv website so they can plainly see the problem. Then mention the fact that the company could save big time on the cost of having to roll another truck out if the tech would just be given the correct equipment on the order the first time.

Good Luck!

Steve in Denver.

We're tap dancing around the issue...

Steve in Denver.

I snipped most of your very fine post for this reply; but I want to thank you from my as a customer's point of view, Steve, for stating it so well as a tech who does similar work. You are so right.

When I called to complain that I wasn't getting the channels I expected the CSR operated on the assumption that I had a 5 lnb dish until after several attempts to fix the problem via phone calls it was determined that I only had a 3 lnb dish. My work order may have actually said 5 lnb and so may the record that DTV had. I'll never know. So it not only needs to be done right from the office, but the tech needs to install what the office says or explain why not and get informed consent from the customer. Otherwise trucks will roll. (or is that heads will roll?) ;)

I can't imagine how much extra it cost DTV when it wasn't done right the first time. Believe it or not, it is not just my time and energy that I'm concerned about. I really didn't like having to have someone come out to fix it, but then again it needed to be fixed. I know there are chronic complainers, but I think most customers would rather just have things work and not have to call or complain. It gives most of us no joy to have to call for service, even under warranty.

Last edited:
Lets really boil down to it. Some people will find anything to cry about even when the company does right by them.

I want my extra music channels

no problem sure lets get that lnb swaped out for you

DTV is horrible and evil they are depriving me.

Sir were going to fix the issue for you .

Its not fair its not fair your trying to rip us off..

Sir I would really lke ot set a time to get a tech out there to take care of this for you.

Customer with stick beating a dead horse.

The hilarious thing is that they have about 40 different shopping channels that nobody watches on the three main satellites, so there is NO ROOM for the audio channels that most people who have DTV really care about.
There isnt 40...duplicate copies only count as 1 channel
Those channels pay to be on D* (and E*)
and the audio channels bandwidth is minimal....its 6 audio to 1 video bandwidth wise

If DTV ever got rid of their music channels, 25 percent of the customers would cancel their account.

oh thats funny.

<sarcasm> Oh my gosh yes. All these bitchy customers who find out that they need to get a different LNB to get all the channels in their package. They aren't satisfied with just having the LNB switched out at no charge, but they actually care that it doesn't keep happening to others and are expressing that on a message board. They actually don't want the company to have to make multiple truck rolls, and they want to make sure that other customers clearly understand what channels they will or will not get and the equipment needed to get the 119 channels. What a bunch of whiners and losers.</sarcasm>

<sarcasm> Oh my gosh yes. All these bitchy customers who find out that they need to get a different LNB to get all the channels in their package. They aren't satisfied with just having the LNB switched out at no charge, but they actually care that it doesn't keep happening to others and are expressing that on a message board. They actually don't want the company to have to make multiple truck rolls, and they want to make sure that other customers clearly understand what channels they will or will not get and the equipment needed to get the 119 channels. What a bunch of whiners and losers.</sarcasm>

I pulled some numbers on this

Bottom line in areas where 119 is not needed for locals, it is cheaper to do a truck roll for those people who want the PI and 8 extra audio channels, then it is to give everyone a 5lnb setup.

Because demand is so little for these channels is why dealing with thin on a case by case basis is cheeaper I asked some of my colleges in ( Tech Supervisors ) how many free Service calls they do for this very issue they sall said if they get 6 or 7 calls a year where meaning less then once a month they are issuing a free service call to reslove the issuse with a new LNB.

Most people just dont care otherwise I have a abunch of people complaining in this thread and just not three.

Put down the stick already

Put down the stick already

Of course. Of all the people I respect on the board, who helps so many, it is you. I'm a very small fish here. I hope you understand what it is like from the customer's point of view. Thanks for giving some facts about the actual economics of the extra truck rolls.

Yes, we should all thank StoneCold for giving us all the information he has on this issue. He has been very helpful I think.

Maybe I little edgey long days at work do that to me.

For us supervisors it such a non issue as we just send out a free service call , I can see your point but what happened was that most people didnt even notice we had dumped xm to go to sonictap. if there was more sonic tap channels on 119 the 5lnb setup would probably be more of a common issue.

If anyone here is denied a 5lnb I be t first to fight for you . Otherwise right now who knows if they ever get thos 8 channels off 119.

I never doubt this board apperication just some day I am in better moods then others.

You still don't get it!

If Directv isn't going to install the correct 5lnb dish to give the customer the PI and 8 extra music channels...then DON'T INCLUDE THEM IN THE PACKAGE SOLD!!!

This is the entire issue! Directv is selling a product and then not giving the customer the entire product. I already mentioned the benefits of getting it right the first time for the customer and the company...but if you're convinced it's cheaper to just fix it later on a case by case basis for the company than so be it.

In my opinion though...its not the right way to do business for the customer...and I'm surprised that more subscribers haven't caught on. It should be interesting to see what happens in the future if directv doesn't address this issue either from a marketing side or hardware installation side. Time will tell.

Nuff Said!

Steve in Denver

If Directv isn't going to install the correct 5lnb dish to give the customer the PI and 8 extra music channels...then DON'T INCLUDE THEM IN THE PACKAGE SOLD!!!

This is the entire issue! Directv is selling a product and then not giving the customer the entire product. I already mentioned the benefits of getting it right the first time for the customer and the company...but if you're convinced it's cheaper to just fix it later on a case by case basis for the company than so be it.

In my opinion though...its not the right way to do business for the customer...and I'm surprised that more subscribers haven't caught on. It should be interesting to see what happens in the future if directv doesn't address this issue either from a marketing side or hardware installation side. Time will tell.

Nuff Said!

Steve in Denver

Steve most customers still have not figured out that we switched from XM to SonicTap back in Feb.

While they are important to some it just not the majority.

The installer came this morning and change out the LNB for the DTV Dish. From the time he knocked on the door to the time he left was about 8 minutes. It didn't take him very long to fix the problem, in other words.

I did have to spend about an hour with various CSRs while they figured out what the problem was, how to create the order (one rep wanted the tech to change out both the receiver and put in a new dish) and schedule it. I am happy now, because I got the three jazz stations that I listen to.

I did some checking online, and a 5-LNB costs DTV about $10 more than a 3-LNB. That is why they don't install the 5-LNB in the first place?

Last edited:
I have recorded all my satellite signal strengths. When the guy comes next Monday, will we have to reset the receiver to pull in the 119 bird? Will the 119 come in @ +90 like the others?

To get the 119 sat there is a option in the menu to set up the correct sat setup. They will have to do the satellite setup again since you're changing

They shouldnt have to change anything as the dish is already skewed properly

If you don't have a multi sat dish,you won't get the missing music channels. D* didn't have the bandwidth to put them all on the 101 sat.
Upgrade to a HD multi dish if you just have to have them all.

I have a 3 LNB dish and am missing these channels, too. Do they just replace the LNB or have to put a new dish in? The reason I ask this is because when the installer installed my system he used a 5 LNB to peak the dish but then swapped it out with the 3 LNB when he was finished. The CSR I talked with on the phone today made it sound like everything has to be replaced.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts