Some very newbie questions for the wise...

Withnail

Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
I currently have Cablevision service that I’m reasonably happy with. But as a recent HDTV convert, the VOOM content left me drooling. I realize that the company’s future is still up in the air at this point, but providing that everything turns out OK, I have two questions.

1. I would want to keep my cable service (at lease at first) and would like to use my set’s HDMI input for VOOM. I think I’d need a DVI/HDMI converter, but I’m not sure

2. I don’t think my building (a co-op) allows dishes. Is there any indoor antenna that would work? I live about 30miles north of Manhattan and receiving OTA stations wouldn’t apply, as I’d be retaining Cablevision

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) Yes you either need a converter or a DVI-HDMI cable.

2) The FCC antenna ruling overrides covenants...basically you can install a dish up to 1 meter and no one can say squat. Yes the sat dish needs to be mounted outdoors. I'd strongly suggest getting digital OTA signal off an indoor or outdoor antenna if you can, usually far better picture quality as most cable/sat providers overcompress them therefore PQ suffers significantly.

1. Not a converter really, just a DVI-HDMI cable.
2. If you have a balcony or a patio in your exclusive use, it would be against the law to prohibit dish installation, from what I've read elsewhere in this forum.

Welcome aboard!

Withnail said:
I have two questions.

1. I would want to keep my cable service (at lease at first) and would like to use my set’s HDMI input for VOOM. I think I’d need a DVI/HDMI converter, but I’m not sure

Yes, that's what you need to do. Works perfectly as that is my setup. A DVI to HDMI cable will run you 35-80 dependeing on where you buy. Don't get the Monster Cables they are way overpriced!!

Withnail said:
2. I don’t think my building (a co-op) allows dishes. Is there any indoor antenna that would work? I live about 30miles north of Manhattan and receiving OTA stations wouldn’t apply, as I’d be retaining Cablevision

Shouldn't be a problem. There is a FCC ruling that allows apartment renters, condo owners, etc to put up satellite dishes. Don't remember the exact details but you can search and find them out.

Thanks for all the help, everyone.

I have a fire escape directly under my (and no one else’s) windows, would that qualify under the “patio/terrace” codicil? It seems like that would count as a safety hazard (let ‘em burn as long as I can get Monsters HD!) I will definitely look into the FCC ruling, but I also want to do as little as possible to antagonize the co-op board.

Thanks again to all who responded - I just discovered this board a few days ago and the amount of information is dazzling.

Withnail said:
Thanks for all the help, everyone.

I have a fire escape directly under my (and no one else’s) windows, would that qualify under the “patio/terrace” codicil? It seems like that would count as a safety hazard (let ‘em burn as long as I can get Monsters HD!) I will definitely look into the FCC ruling, but I also want to do as little as possible to antagonize the co-op board.

Thanks again to all who responded - I just discovered this board a few days ago and the amount of information is dazzling.
Withnail, I'm obviously not one of the wise, but just had to let you know you gave me a sorely needed laugh just now!
laughing-smiley-018.gif
laughing-smiley-018.gif
laughing-smiley-018.gif
:D (My emphasis, not his). I say, whatever works!! :D Thanks, Vicki :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)