Something just isn't right!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tyrate

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
I don't know about you'll but something doesn't seem right about this free DVR deal w/rebate $100. Why? Well I just got my new TIVO DVR STB and it works great but I would really love it if it had HBO/STARZ On Demand but it's my understand that DTV and On Demand have a lawsuit pending so that's not happen anytime soon. Anyway, before I ordered my box I'd asked the DTV rep what the differences were between the TIVO and the new R-15 (Directv Plus DVR STBs) because I didn't want the TIVO if the box was going to be obsolete by the end of the year. My main concern was upgrades to the DTV system that would not include the TIVO boxes since TIVO and DTV have cut ties. The Rep ensure me the only difference between the TIVO and the R-15 was the larger hard drive and access the Mix Channels and weather interactive services and if you ever seen the Mix channels you will quickly determine thats pretty much useless service and if I wanted the weather I can open up my homepage on my computer and get it quicker with satellite imagining to boot. They also ensure me that if any changes came about, like signal related changes (example:mpeg compression rates) that my equipment would be replace free of charge, but I don't think interactive services apply. Anyway now I'm hearing about this NBC On Demand deal and once again the TIVO community will be left out in the cold. Basically what I see is a brilliant marketing scheme brewing with me forking out more cash at the end of plot. DTV gets you hooked on the DVR feature by selling you a TIVO Box it's only free if remember to send in the rebate but then they add additionals services that are only compatible with there new D* R-15 or D-10. Which means I have to fork more cash if I want to take advantage of thoses services which is simply not fair or am I just delirious about this whole thing? :mad:

Both the R-15 and R-10 qualify for the rebate. Order which ever you want just remember technology is always changing. What you buy today is out of date tomorrow but that dosen't mean it won't still work as it was originally designed.

Tyrate said:
I don't know about you'll but something doesn't seem right about this free DVR deal w/rebate $100. Why? Well I just got my new TIVO DVR STB and it works great but I would really love it if it had HBO/STARZ On Demand but it's my understand that DTV and On Demand have a lawsuit pending so that's not happen anytime soon. Anyway, before I ordered my box I'd asked the DTV rep what the differences were between the TIVO and the new R-15 (Directv Plus DVR STBs) because I didn't want the TIVO if the box was going to be obsolete by the end of the year. My main concern was upgrades to the DTV system that would not include the TIVO boxes since TIVO and DTV have cut ties. The Rep ensure me the only difference between the TIVO and the R-15 was the larger hard drive and access the Mix Channels and weather interactive services and if you ever seen the Mix channels you will quickly determine thats pretty much useless service and if I wanted the weather I can open up my homepage on my computer and get it quicker with satellite imagining to boot. They also ensure me that if any changes came about, like signal related changes (example:mpeg compression rates) that my equipment would be replace free of charge, but I don't think interactive services apply. Anyway now I'm hearing about this NBC On Demand deal and once again the TIVO community will be left out in the cold. Basically what I see is a brilliant marketing scheme brewing with me forking out more cash at the end of plot. DTV gets you hooked on the DVR feature by selling you a TIVO Box it's only free if remember to send in the rebate but then they add additionals services that are only compatible with there new D* R-15 or D-10. Which means I have to fork more cash if I want to take advantage of thoses services which is simply not fair or am I just delirious about this whole thing? :mad:

What's the problem? You get the r15 for free after rebates... (From Valueelectronics.com), if you plan on sticking with D* for the next two years, you lose no money. Everyone wants more content and every one has their own idea of what content should be offered. I think the best thing to do is just ride the boat with everyone else and see where it ends up! :)

Both the R-15 and R-10 qualify for the rebate. Order which ever you want just remember technology is always changing. What you buy today is out of date tomorrow but that dosen't mean it won't still work as it was originally designed.
If the R-15 was available at the time of the purchase, I probably would of selected the R-15. I'm just concern with the pattern buying new STB everytime something new comes out. Media Center is up next are we suppose to purchase that when it's finally comes available or are they planning to replace my boxes?

Tyrate said:
If the R-15 was available at the time of the purchase, I probably would of selected the R-15. I'm just concern with the pattern buying new STB everytime something new comes out. Media Center is up next are we suppose to purchase that when it's finally comes available or are they planning to replace my boxes?
If you want the new features BUY THEM if you don't need them enjoy the equipment you have. There will always be a carrot in front of the donkey to urge him to move forward. Our economy is geared to offer people new features to get them to spend their hard earned money. You have to decide which you need the new features or the hard earned money. It is your CHOICE!!! ;) ;) In a capitalist economy there is no reason for them to GIVE you a replacement box it is your desire that dictates the need for a replacement. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts