Something up with 5Max's launch?

Yeah, I was disappointed to see The Shining on SD on 5Max last night.

I've already seen it in HD on HDNET or something else in the past. I flipped it right off.

Seeing as this channel is not available on any other provider, Cinemax probably hasn't switched it to HD yet since they didn't know when Dish would be launching it.

I have the HD DVD of "The Shining." (it's also out on BD for all you dead-technology haters.)

Looking at last night's schedule, I don't see Sin City on 5Max, although "Sin City Diaries" was on regular Max HD (East and West feeds, of course). To clarify, we're talking about the 5-Star Max HD channel, which Dish launched yesterday. I've seen a lot of HD programming (including stuff that was SD on 5Max HD) on Max HD.

Seeing as this channel is not available on any other provider, Cinemax probably hasn't switched it to HD yet since they didn't know when Dish would be launching it.

Must be the case—thanks for the info. I didn't realize that no one was carrying it yet.

How disappointing. I was really looking forward to another HD Cinemax. Does anyone have a contact at Cinemax that they could ask whats going on?

How disappointing. I was really looking forward to another HD Cinemax. Does anyone have a contact at Cinemax that they could ask whats going on?

It says on Cinemax's website schedule that many movies on there are in "true HD." If that's the case, is this problem related to Dish? Or is Cinemax just engaging in false-advertisement?

Their website has listed Max, MoreMax, ActionMax, and 5 Star Max as HD for a while now.

If an HD signal is broadcast in the woods and no one receives it... :D

here is my conversation a minute ago I asked why no HD on 5 star max and this what I got!

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Please wait while we find a representative to assist you...
You have been connected to (03) Bryan S.
(03) Bryan S: Thank you for choosing Dish Network the leader in HD and DVR. I will be happy to assist you today. Please give me 2-3 minutes to access your account and review the information you have already provided.
(03) Bryan S: Thank you for your time.
(03) Bryan S: Our system is currently updating and we are unable to process any requests for account changes or account information at this time.
(03) Bryan S: Please contact us at a later time for further assistance.
(03) Bryan S: We apologize for any inconvenience.
Ron Rouch: I am not asking for a change I want to know why the 5 star max channel is not being shown in HD?
(03) Bryan S: I am sorry as I am unable to view the details as our system is having technical issue.
(03) Bryan S: I am sorry I request you to contact us after couple of hours to assist you better.
(03) Bryan S: I appreciate your co-operation in this regard.
[/FONT]
spacer.gif

and the rest of the story... too funny
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]03) Bryan S: Are you still there?
(03) Bryan S: I have not heard from you in a while, are you still with me?
Ron Rouch: yes
(03) Bryan S: Is there anything else I can do for you?
Ron Rouch: No just would like to have the HD as promised by Dish, there must be a problem with the connection to 5 star max?
(03) Bryan S: I understand you concern, however as our system have technical issue we are unable to provide the information.
[/FONT]
spacer.gif

What a bunch of B.S. A technical issue seems to be affecting any kind of question of any nature. When I called to cancel this morning, every question I asked whether it had to do with new programming, removed programming, HD package pricing, or account issues, all I got was the same "technical issue" response.

:rolleyes:

Maybe their technical issue is INCOMPETENCE.

What a bunch of B.S. A technical issue seems to be affecting any kind of question of any nature. When I called to cancel this morning, every question I asked whether it had to do with new programming, removed programming, HD package pricing, or account issues, all I got was the same "technical issue" response.

They're all pretty much all underpaid script monkeys and their script viewing and input device is broken, nothing they can do. Could be worse, you could get one that just makes things up!

NightRyder

I've called 3 times to downgrade to Essentials and they keep telling me that the system is down. It's probably true.

I've called 3 times to downgrade to Essentials and they keep telling me that the system is down. It's probably true.

Maybe they are going to change the pricing structure and don't want people dropping before they do.

OR, maybe this is a test to see if there's value in Voom. They make a note everytime someone calls to downgrade, and then compare it to yesterday, or last Tuesday.

Has anyone called to UP grade to get MGM and Smithsonian? Was the system down for you too?

OK, back to 5 Star Max though...this is REALLY weird.

I turned on 5 Star HD towards the end of a movie. When the promos came up, they just said "Max HD".

So, I hit Swap and turned on 5 Star SD on the other tuner. I flipped back to the HD.

Eventually, I saw a promo for what's on tonight. It said "5 Star Max HD".

I hit swap and and rewound the SD version. IT ALSO SAID 5 Star Max HD!

I had dropped Cinemax months ago, and just reactivated it to get the HD feeds. Has this been this way for a while? It does seem odd that the only HD feeds Cinemax offers are the same channels that are on DISH.

I have ActionMax on now, but this movie doesn't end until 3. I want to see if it says "ActionMax HD" too.

Hopefully, this is like Starz HD. When it first launched on DISH, it had very little in HD. No one else seemed to be carrying it. But within a month, it was pretty decent, and now I rarely see any SD Upconverts on it.

BTW...I think DISH has been doing this with a few other channels. They get the HD feed and downconvert it. My local CW feed is clearly taken from the HD version. The only thing I ever watch is Reaper, but it is letterboxed AND pillared. (Black on all sides). That wouldn't surprise me, but then occasionally, you see a 4:3 promo or commercial, and it's literally a tiny square. It's letterboxed top and bottom, then DOUBLE pillars on the side.

In the case of 5 Star Max, they must be getting the HD feed, but they haven't actually put any HD on it yet.

OK, back to 5 Star Max though...this is REALLY weird.

I turned on 5 Star HD towards the end of a movie. When the promos came up, they just said "Max HD".

So, I hit Swap and turned on 5 Star SD on the other tuner. I flipped back to the HD.

Eventually, I saw a promo for what's on tonight. It said "5 Star Max HD".

I hit swap and and rewound the SD version. IT ALSO SAID 5 Star Max HD!

I had dropped Cinemax months ago, and just reactivated it to get the HD feeds. Has this been this way for a while? It does seem odd that the only HD feeds Cinemax offers are the same channels that are on DISH.

I have ActionMax on now, but this movie doesn't end until 3. I want to see if it says "ActionMax HD" too.

Hopefully, this is like Starz HD. When it first launched on DISH, it had very little in HD. No one else seemed to be carrying it. But within a month, it was pretty decent, and now I rarely see any SD Upconverts on it.

The content on 5 Star Max wouldn't be upconverted material, since they just replay movies that have been shown on Max HD.

One can assume that if the HD logo in on the screen that it must be or intended to be HD? Screwy...

The content on 5 Star Max wouldn't be upconverted material, since they just replay movies that have been shown on Max HD.

One can assume that if the HD logo in on the screen that it must be or intended to be HD? Screwy...

That's what doesn't make sense. It's all 4:3...YET even the SD version says it's HD.

Still waiting to check More & Action to see if they have HD logos too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)