Something up with 5Max's launch?

OK...movie on ActionMax just ended...promos say "ActionMax HD". Also, they are letterboxed. But the movies are still 4:3.

American Beauty is about to end on More Max (in 4:3)...we'll see what happens there.

Same thing on MoreMax...it says MoreMax HD, and the promos are all 16:9. But the movie is 4:3. To really get to the bottom, I need to check Cinemax HD in between films, which won't happen for another hour.

Since Cinemax east and west are definitely showing true HD right now, and the SD versions are showing 4:3 (not letterboxed), the answer is in their promos...

If Cinemax SD shows letterboxed promos that say "Max HD", then that means they just ditched creating separate promos for SD and HD, and the problem is probably with DISH.

If Cinemax SD has their own promos, then the problem is probably with Cinemax.

(Unless Cinemax creates separate promos ONLY for the main channel. Which we really can't know. So never mind...that won't settle anything. :D)

Actually, never mind. The answer still lies in 5 Star Max, I just didn't have enough info before.

Since MoreMax and ActionMax are showing letterboxed HD promos, but standard 4:3 movies, it means they are just using the 16:9 promos on the SD channels.

IF 5 Max HD had promos that were in HD, and movies in 4:3, we could be sure we were actually getting the HD feed.

But I'm pretty sure that's not what I saw earlier. I saw letterboxing INSIDE a 4:3 pillared picture. Which would indicate an upconverted 4:3 feed.

But the question is still...is DISH taking the SD feed and upconverting? Or is Cinemax doing it on their end.

I gotta assume it's DISH's fault. Why would Cinemax produce special HD promos if there wasn't actually an HD feed?

Actually, never mind. The answer still lies in 5 Star Max, I just didn't have enough info before.

Since MoreMax and ActionMax are showing letterboxed HD promos, but standard 4:3 movies, it means they are just using the 16:9 promos on the SD channels.

IF 5 Max HD had promos that were in HD, and movies in 4:3, we could be sure we were actually getting the HD feed.

But I'm pretty sure that's not what I saw earlier. I saw letterboxing INSIDE a 4:3 pillared picture. Which would indicate an upconverted 4:3 feed.

But the question is still...is DISH taking the SD feed and upconverting? Or is Cinemax doing it on their end.

I gotta assume it's DISH's fault. Why would Cinemax produce special HD promos if there wasn't actually an HD feed?

Maybe is has something to do with the "technical issue" they are having today! :D

When I get home, I might try watching the SD and HD feed together and see if there's any difference in the between-movies station IDs, etc.

When I get home, I might try watching the SD and HD feed together and see if there's any difference in the between-movies station IDs, etc.

That's my whole point...there aren't! They ALL say HD.

The only one left to check is the standard Cinemax.

That's my whole point...there aren't! They ALL say HD.

The only one left to check is the standard Cinemax.

Ah—I thought you were just saying their promos were letterboxed. Didn't realize that they're all HD-branded as well.

Just checked Max-W SD...same thing. Promos all say HD.

So my bet is that DISH is just upconverting the SD feed. It's just a coincidence that even the SD feeds say HD. (Probably an effort to get people to call and demand their provider add the HD feed.)

Probably just a technical glitch and they didn't want to spoil their big rollout. Or rather, they wanted to spoil it on their own terms, by killing Voom. :D

Thanks—I tried to notify them via chat, but I think the guy was too busy telling me to upgrade to AF250 to fill the gap left by the missing Voom channels to take note before I was randomly disconnected.

Thanks—I tried to notify them via chat, but I think the guy was too busy telling me to upgrade to AF250 to fill the gap left by the missing Voom channels to take note before I was randomly disconnected.

"I am veddy soory for turning off your channels, paying more for different channels will help you verry much, thank you."

cant broadcast what isnt made in hd

I know I already commented on this, but this kind of talk makes me so angry! Movies that "aren't made in HD!" Jumpin' Jebus on a Pogo stick! You can make a true HD transfer of La Voyage Dans La Lune if you want!

You'll be happy to watch America's Funniest Home Videos as long as TBS stretches it across your screen, but you think a 35mm film shot 2 years ago "isn't made in HD".

AAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!

Go back to arguing about how to get an HD signal down a composite RCA cable or something and let the grown-ups talk!

rage...subsiding...Hulk sleepy now...

Thanks for that—it drives me nuts, too. People just like to ignore the fact that an HD signal isn't as sharp a picture as a 35mm film!

I just had the channel on and it started to flicker and pixilate in widescreen almost like they were trying to make it switch it HD mode. Makes me think that they are having problems with it.

Thanks for that—it drives me nuts, too. People just like to ignore the fact that an HD signal isn't as sharp a picture as a 35mm film!

I would simply ask whether or not they have actually seen and touched a piece of 35mm film. Hard to argue the point with someone that doesnt really know what it is. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)