sonicview

Status
Please reply by conversation.

the_man_one

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 22, 2006
sonicview hd.... any good? if anyone has one can ya list the pros & cons?

I wouldn't buy even a cheap one ( under $100) unless I had a limited use situation. It has some good points, but lacks DVB-S2 compatility and lacks good blindscan. The box was made basically for hackers, and doesn't have the feature set of a decent FTA HD receiver ( Openbox s9, for example, currently $159 delivered from ebay ) . If I saw one at a thrift store, I'd probably buy it just to play, but wouldn't put any serious money into one at this point.
:)

brentb636 said:
I wouldn't buy even a cheap one ( under $100) unless I had a limited use situation. It has some good points, but lacks DVB-S2 compatility and lacks good blindscan. The box was made basically for hackers, and doesn't have the feature set of a decent FTA HD receiver ( Openbox s9, for example, currently $159 delivered from ebay ) . If I saw one at a thrift store, I'd probably buy it just to play, but wouldn't put any serious money into one at this point.
:)

Yeap like a 25 dollar one i found

Hi. I've been using one for well over a year. Unlike the other posts so far I have had good luck with it. It has been reliable and my experience with the blind scan has been pretty good overall. I also have a Sonicview Premier (SD), and the tuner on the Premier is superior. The upshot is that it is a competent receiver if your goal is to watch, say PBS in HD. That is what I use mine for, However, it is still somewhere around $200 on Ebay. There are better receivers out there in the ball park of this amount. It is quickly becoming obsolete because so many broadcasts are simply using technologies that the Sonicview can't view.

I'm at the point that I'm going to upgrade to either a Solomend/Openbox, or possibly an Azbox ($$) in the next couple of weeks to get more use out of the C-Band dish. However the Sonicview will go into the kid's room for dedicated PBS on KU.

It isn't a bad receiver, and I like the menuing system, but after a year it has become obsolete a lot faster than I would have expected.

Last edited:
They tend to blow a couple capacitors. If they have ever had certain firmware versions on them then they are subject to a channel change error which is allegedly caused by an ecm from dish network which effectively disables the sonicview until you are able to fix this, if you are able to fix it. Either of these issues are fixable but do you really want to deal with them?

My sonicview is currently not working and I haven't taken the time to see which of the two problems above caused it. When it was working I was incredibly satisfied with it. I was blind scanning a number of HD channels that other people had to manually type in. It was just as easy to use as my visionsat, with a number of more advanced features. Although it has a reputation as a hack box it is an excellent fta box in my opinion . . . when it is working.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)