Sony 5.1 relay problem??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SmokeFan14

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
The state above South Carolina
Every now and again a sound comes from my receiver that sounds almost identical to the sound I get when I turn the receiver on. Sometimes just once and it's over and sometimes it's a very rapid back-to-back-to-back sound; almost like there IS a short in it or some wires are crossed. The receiver is approx. 6 years old and in great shape, or at least I thought it was. No audio problems as far as clarity or static. All in all it's not a major problem, just kind of annoying, really. Just curious if anyone may know if it's about to die on me or what the cause may be. It must be internal because I've checked ALL incoming & outgoing connections as well as the cables themselves and they're fine. Thanks in advance for any info!

Are there any other symptoms, like the audio or video dropping out, or the thing switching inputs while this is happening? My Sony 5300 has a lot of functions controlled by relays, which are doing the internal switching in step with selections I make. But once everything is initialized and stable I don't hear any more relay action until I make some kind of change. The only exception I have experienced was when I had a shorted speaker and the receiver was automatically entering its "Protection" mode, accompanied with several clicks as things shut down in response to the thermal overload that short was causing.

If I did hear some uncommanded relay action I would expect to hear or see something else change. What model receiver do you have? (I don't know what a "5.1" is; I assume you are merely designating it as a SS system...!) Not sure if I can help you any further, but some additional information might make a difference.

Are there any other symptoms, like the audio or video dropping out, or the thing switching inputs while this is happening? My Sony 5300 has a lot of functions controlled by relays, which are doing the internal switching in step with selections I make. But once everything is initialized and stable I don't hear any more relay action until I make some kind of change. The only exception I have experienced was when I had a shorted speaker and the receiver was automatically entering its "Protection" mode, accompanied with several clicks as things shut down in response to the thermal overload that short was causing.

If I did hear some uncommanded relay action I would expect to hear or see something else change. What model receiver do you have? (I don't know what a "5.1" is; I assume you are merely designating it as a SS system...!) Not sure if I can help you any further, but some additional information might make a difference.
Model: HT-DDW830. Yeah, 5.1 was referring to surround sound. I couldn't find the booklet yesterday. Also, there are NO other symptoms. No dropout, no audio loss, etc. Just that crazy sound periodically. Like I said earlier; sometimes it happens like rapid fire for maybe 2 seconds, sometimes it only makes the sound once and after that it's fine. Sometimes it doesn't even happen at all. Weird.. Thanks a lot for your response!:up

Ghost in the Machine! I wouldn't worry about it since it apparently doesn't affect your performance otherwise. My bet is you'll upgrade before it becomes a real problem...

I would say it is a relay for some feature you don't use, perhaps the second zone speakers or DD 7.1 effects channels. Possibly the vcr/record monitor capability. Make sure all this stuff is turned off.

MY bet is my wife will make me use it until the power button falls off the thing. (most) Women and home theater technology....:rolleyes:
LOL! One strategy for any upgrade is to determine what programming she really wants to watch then find some reason why the upgraded equipment will be the only answer to getting it. I had a friend who "hid" the soap channels in his old sat receiver's EPG. Of course the new upgrade HD receiver (and service to match) had no problem receiving them.

BTW, I have a "power button removal tool" I can loan you...!

LOL! One strategy for any upgrade is to determine what programming she really wants to watch then find some reason why the upgraded equipment will be the only answer to getting it. I had a friend who "hid" the soap channels in his old sat receiver's EPG. Of course the new upgrade HD receiver (and service to match) had no problem receiving them.

BTW, I have a "power button removal tool" I can loan you...!

HA HA! Classic...:cool:... I'll keep that in mind next time!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)