Sony cuts PlayStation prices

yaz96

Baby, It's Cold Outside
Original poster
Dec 22, 2005
Front Range, Colorado
Sony cuts PlayStation prices

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) - Sony Corp. SNE +0.47% on Tuesday said it is cutting the prices for its PlayStation3 products. Prices for systems with 160-gigabyte hard drives will be reduced to $249 from $299, while prices for 320-gigabyte hard drives will be lowered to $299 from $349. The new prices will be effective Thursday, the company said.

That sucks for those that buy one today or tomorrow without realizing the they could save $50 (enough for a half of a game ;) )

Nice now maybe my buddy will switch from xbox..:D

So now their handheld and their console will be the same price... I'm really not expecting the Vita to do well at $250 after early adopters. Especially after forfeiting another holiday to a Nintendo handheld that's $80 cheaper.

What's your point? the same thing happens with grocery prices every week. (That's just 1 example.)
I thought my point was rather clear.

If they just bought one in the last couple of days, they could save $50 by waiting a couple of days. I don't understand why you were confused

Last edited:
That sucks for those that buy one today or tomorrow without realizing the they could save $50 (enough for a half of a game ;) )
Price protection. Those who bought one today should be able to return to the store and get $50 back. I paid $299 for my 120GB PS3. Nice thing about them is you can easily upgrade the HDD when needed.

My name is Neekeeter Coldloft. I'm from the far reaches of Northern Minnesota. You have a valid point and I'm not sure why some are having such a hard time understanding what is really just a fact of American economics. I can buy a can of green beans at one store while the store down the block may have it for $0.10 cheaper. The next day, I may go to the same stores and the prices are both the same but they are $0.40 higher. Look at how unpredictable gas prices are.

Neekeeter Coldloft (8-18-11)

Man, one simple point is being taken waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of context. It has nothing to do understanding of economics. It was simply one simple point. "That sucks for those that bought one two days prior" That is it. Nothing else needs to be said or interpreted. From the perspective of those that paid $50 more, they wish they would have waited two days later. It was mostly said in tongue and cheek.

Last edited:
I agree. Often it is store credit though.

Anyone in this situation should trade up for the Infamous 2 bundle to ensure they got the new model, which runs cooler, quieter, and consumes less of that stuff Cole gets off on. :D
And if they don't care about the continuing adventures of Cole, I'm sure they can still get a decent price for it.

I agree. Often it is store credit though.

Never had that happen, I’ve always been reimbursed the differences on my credit card. This past winter when I bought my A/V receiver Best Buy played teeter-totter with the pricing. I paid $1000 for it, they raised it $100, then lowered it $200 a few weeks later, making it $900. I went back, they credited me the $100. A week later it went back up to $1000, and then dropped to $850. I went back and got another $50 credit. Then near the end of their extended Christmas return policy it dropped another $50 and was being sold for $800, I went back and got another $50 off. Eventually it went back up to $1000. I was kind of surprised at this considering Sony products are usually sold at MSRP and retailers really don’t tinker with the prices too often on their stuff. MSRP on this particular receiver was $1200, so in the end I did end up saving $400+tax.

And for whatever reason if they won’t give you the price protection, or they offer instore credit and you don’t want it, just return and rebuy it. That’s what I just did with my laptop. HP recently put on a coupon code for 30% an entire purchase. I called up, they wouldn’t credit me the difference. So I requested an RMA and set the thing back and reordered a few minutes later. I saved well over $600 and ordered this machine maxed out at 16GB of RAM, instead of 12GB. Whenever I make a purchase of any significant cost, I always keep an eye out for that item and look at the pricing, until the return policy expires.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts