Sony not betting the farm on BD now. Offer xbox style video market place.

I believe now even hardcore Blu-ray supporters understand that Sony is a bunch of morons if not idiots...:)

Diogen.

I hate Sony as much as the next guy, but this is more about expanding options than a sign of Sony's doubt in BD. Supposedly going to be 'not as restricted' as iTunes and Xbox Live which are fairly sterile/controlled environments... so lets hope that just doesnt mean 'oh, it's still DRM'd up the wazoo, just a different DRM than we've used so it's new and improved!!!'

It would be stupid for Sony to NOT take advantage of the PS3's hard drive and internet connection to sell/rent downloadable video content. Like Elstevo said, they're only expanding options, competing with services like XBox, PPV, Netflix, and iTunes. People who want to *own* or give as a gift a film with the highest PQ/AQ available, with all the extras in one neat package, will still buy BDs.

It would be stupid for Sony to NOT take advantage of the PS3's hard drive and internet connection...
Really?
Every single post (mostly from the HD side) that was positive re: downloads and their future is dismissed by the "smart winners" as completely stupid...
But as soon as Sony shows interest - it is stupid NOT to... Have to re-read 1984 to recall how this is called...:)

Diogen.

Downloads = rental
HDM = own

not always true

examples on Xbox live

Robotech Shadow Chronical movie : 800 points (it's yours to keep)
Family Guy Blue harvest : 960 points (it's yours to keep)

and there are a few more (can't think of them off the top of my head)

The Issue at first was pricing. Once that is worked out on each title then they offer them at $10-15 cost range.

As others have said, This is Sony expanding options, not doubting in Bluray. They are going with bluray 110%, I know I use Xbox live video service, and bluray, I like RENTING movies that I know I will watch once or twice, and BUYING blu rays that I will enjoy a number of times.

Really?
Every single post (mostly from the HD side) that was positive re: downloads and their future is dismissed by the "smart winners" as completely stupid...
But as soon as Sony shows interest - it is stupid NOT to... Have to re-read 1984 to recall how this is called...:)

Diogen.

I don't recall anyone on either side of the BD/HD DVD battle calling downloads stupid. Just the idea that BDs could be replaced by it in the near future (3-5 years: until the technology is ready for the mainstream).

Not betting the farm? You still need a PS3 to rent these movies right?

Betting the farm, putting all eggs in one basket = doing only 1 thing in determination that the one thing succeeds

Diversifying is what they are doing now, And I would bet it is because there is a crack or 2 in the old armor.

Betting the farm, putting all eggs in one basket = doing only 1 thing in determination that the one thing succeeds

Diversifying is what they are doing now, And I would bet it is because there is a crack or 2 in the old armor.

Ok i understand that but my point is the Ps3 was going to do this all along. I don't see it as a loss or defeat.

Ok i understand that but my point is the Ps3 was going to do this all along. I don't see it as a loss or defeat.

They are justifying MS's video market place by doing it. Thats my point.

They can't refute it when talking about BD being the only way to get HD in the future is also my point.

They are justifying MS's video market place by doing it. Thats my point.

They can't refute it when talking about BD being the only way to get HD in the future is also my point.
Well it's going to suck for people like me.. Where i live i only get 10 mb downloads. It's probably going to be years!! Until speeds here will be able to download Hd movies in a timely fashion.

ha ha ha ha ha! I get 2MB Downloads. And I would guess most of the country cannot get 10MB downloads yet. This is a long way off from mainstream folks.

No one has ever claimed that BD would be the only way to get HD in the future. Just 1 successful format among several.

ha ha ha ha ha! I get 2MB Downloads. And I would guess most of the country cannot get 10MB downloads yet. This is a long way off from mainstream folks.
Yea I'm kinda guessing you are also not your average bandwidth sub. The point is i know for a fact most people still if they even have high speed get the base speeds. which is any where from 256k to maybe 1.0 meg. Now I'm not talking about other people but why would i want to take the time to download a HD movies at those speeds when my 10 megs are not fast enough!? Maybe i am out of touch with the world? Maybe all you guys would?:confused:

No one has ever claimed that BD would be the only way to get HD in the future. Just 1 successful format among several.
Not in this thread they have not but in others yes. There are people who said Blu ray was going to die already. Maybe they were talking about another HD format?

Nope, I do not have the base speed, I have the ONLY speed available in my area. 2MB downloads. I live in the middle of a small town 50 miles north of St. Louis. The three counties above me have no broadband options available accept for Satellite and recently there have been some companies putting up towers for "wireless" service, but I don't think thats to quick either.

There are certain areas that won't have 10MB service for many many many years, much less a speed suitable for HD movie streaming. People that think differently don't realize that there are vast parts of the country not wired up at 20MB+ broadband like they are.