Sony Qriocity Preview (Streaming HD VOD)

toddjb

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Germantown, MD
I wasn't exactly sure where to post this because I have Sony Internet Video features on both my LCD (KDL60NX801) and my Blu-Ray (BDP-BX57). This board seems to get more traffic so I'll throw it here...

I called this a "preview" because I have only messed around with the previews thus far as I just found the feature has been activated with a recent software update on both my devices. I have to say, I was impressed with the quantity of movies and new releases available from the start and the prices for SD and HD content (streaming 14 day rental) is fair. With Netflix no longer able to rent new releases for the first 30 days, it is seemingly making more sense to just use Dish and other internet streaming for my rentals and save some money by canceling Netflix.

Last night I browsed the movie list and watched several previews. The quality of the previews was very good. Enough so that I'd watch a movie in SD if HD wasn't available. A very smooth picture, not like the SD content I get on Dish which pretty much has me watching HD content only because the SD is so awful.

There is one key point which Sony does not make, however. I asked about it in the chat below and if you have the time to read it (it isn't that interesting) you'll see I had to pull the answer out of her. If you want DD 5.1 sound, you have to use the Blu-Ray player.

As discussed in another post, my new Sony set does not pass 5.1 audio out the digital output. It only sends stereo. So, for instance, I can't run all my HDMI inputs to my TV and just have one output going to my A/V Receiver. If I do that, I'll lose out on the DD and DTS 5.1. So, I have to run a line from all my components to the A/V. (I don't have HDMI switching on my older Yamaha A/V receiver).

The "internet video" apps seems to have a little nicer interface on my TV over the interface on the BD player, so, I was curious if the quality is the same on both which I was assured is indeed the case.

However, if you want to rent an HD video and also get the 5.1 sound, you have to rent it on the Blu-Ray player as that is the only device capable of passing 5.1 to your A/V receiver. Thus, kind of pointless IMO to put all this great streaming functionality into the TV if it can't output anything but stereo sound.

Anyway, all is not lost, for $200 the blu-ray players have wifi, are easily connected, and work well.

I'll post back when I have signed up and watched an HD flick. I do think it is cool that I have this service on my Sony. If the Netflix app had new release movies to stream as well, it might be worth keeping the Netflix account. Currently, the Netflix streaming content is pretty old and worthless....

chat id : 079892f9-0ca1-4d38-8735-b4e73ae52354
Problem : Had a question about qriocity VOD on my new Sony LED-LCD and on my new BDP-BX57 blu ray. Do you know if the qriocity movies come with the digital surround sound or just stereo?

Karen_ > Hi Todd. Welcome to Sony Online Support. I'm Karen. Please allow me a moment to review your concern.

todd > Thank you. I demo'd the Qriocity previews last night and it looks like a great feature on both devices.

Karen_ > Thanks for waiting, Todd. I'll be glad to assist you with the information about the qriocity VOD movies .

todd > I have 2 questions while you are researching 1) what is the sound quality. Is it digital 5.1 surround? 2) is there a difference in received picture and audio quality if I stream from my TV or Blu-Ray player?

todd > My TV (KDL60NX801) by Blu-Ray (BDP-BX57)

Karen_ > Todd, the movies are the High Definition movies and hence the audio in it are Surround supporting 5.1 digital.

Karen_ > There will be no changes or difference in the straemed pictures from the Qriocity VOD to the TV or to the Blu-ray Player.

todd > Okay, then on to my 2nd question. I know from a prior chat that my sony television does not pass 5.1 sound out the digital audio out. At least it doesn't pass it when received from HDMI1 or HDMI4 (my SAT receiver or Blu-Ray). I have to connect them directly to my A/V if I want the quality sound. So...has this changed for the internet video? If not, the only way I will get the full 5.1 sound is to watch on my blu-ray player which does pass 5.1 to the A/V receiver.

Karen_ > Todd, the audio will not be changed when receiving form the internet, because as I told you earlier, the movies in the VOD are HD quality and the same for the audio. Note the snippy attitude here! I hate that.

todd > Karen, thank you. Then I am confused....

todd > I had a prior question where it seemed (and I tested this) that when I connect my blu-ray to the TV, it would not pass the DTS 5.1 sound down to my A/V receiver. If I wanted the full digital sound I had to connect my blu-ray directly to my A/V. I asked on chat and was told that this is indeed the case. So, if that is true (please verify that for me) how is it that internet video CAN pass DD 5.1? I really hope it does. I just want to make sure as it impacts my home theatre setup if I'm to use Qriocity instead of other movie rental/streaming services. Thank you.

Karen_ > Todd, when you are streaming the videos form the TV connected to the Receiver, the 5.1 digital sound cannot be passed as the TV supports only the Stereo sound.

Karen_ > But, when the videos are strraemed from the Blu-ray Player connected to the Receiver, it carries the 5.1 surround sound as the Player is combatible of it.

todd > Okay. Thank you for checking that for me. So, the sound quality capability is HIGHER on the blu-ray player due to this capability. The picture quality, if I understand correctly, will be the same. This is good information to have. me trying to point out that her snippy attitude earlier was unwarranted. No apology received. LOL.

Karen_ > Yes, Todd.

Karen_ > You are welcome.

Karen_ > I hope you found this information useful.

Karen_ > Good-bye and thank you for contacting Sony Online Support.

Karen_ > Analyst has closed chat and left the room

Well, I don't know if anyone is interested in this thread, but I'll post an update anyway...

I did order and watch a movie after this initial post. It seems that the folks at Sony/Qriocity don't know what they are talking about.

The video quality was very good. I don't know what rate things came in but it seemed like HD to me. The sound, however, was regular old stereo. No dolby digital, no surround, just plain old stereo.

So, they seem to think that just because they are selling me an HD movie it must also come with DD sound, which is why I streamed it from the Blu-Ray instead of the TV, as discussed above. Didn't make a difference though.

I may use them again, but will probably look first to the flicks on my Dish DVR since those do come with DD, FWIW. I did only watch one movie, though, so maybe others have it.

When I get some time I'll try one out on my 52" Sony. Which movie did you try it out with?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)