SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
Sony to Integrate Blu-ray into LCD HDTVs

Posted April 7, 2008 10:21 AM by Josh

sony.jpg

Ryoji Chubachi, Sony president and Electronics CEO, mentioned in a press conference, held in Taipei on April 3rd, that Sony would add Blu-ray recorders to their popular line of LCD HDTVs. This was seen as necessary to increase global share of Blu-ray products from 20% of the market (the other 80% belonging to DVD) to 50% by the end of this year.

Since the launch of the high definition format, Sony has relied on their PlayStation 3 to increase market share. Now that Blu-ray is taking off, Sony wants to rapidly increase the share, and their popular LCD HDTV line is seen as a ripe area to help achieve that goal.

No word on when or how much these HDTV/Blu-ray combo devices will be sold, but with the overall goal to increase Blu-ray market share by the end of this year, one would expect them to be on store shelves sooner than later.

Source: DigiTimes | Permalink
Anyone got a guess on how much this is going to be?
Sony is doing everything in their hands to maximize their BD sales, and I personally think this is a great way to expand sales.

I am sure other LCD/HDTV companies start doing what Sony is doing right now and that is to incorporate BD in LCD's.
Plus with the prices going down, its going to be a great deal.

If he could start with explaining where this 20% comes from, then maybe the rest wouldn't be that hard to believe...

Diogen.

i think the last combo TVs ive seen anyone buy were TV/VHS units.... not sure Ive ever seen a TV/DVD player in someone's home... though mom does have a VHS/DVD recorder, but its a standalone unit.

Wouldn't the bigger news here be the ability to DVR stuff on their TVs, or are they going to be just straight recorders... no other options, just hit a button and record.... just having them there doesn't accomplish much but add a marketing bullet point and x hundreds of dollars to a price and a profit margin for a high end (and probably already too expensive) TV.... no?

IMO... just a press release to keep the name out there. It will be introduced in a high end model, overpriced, and never seen again.

The warzone is that way >----->
Lets just rename this the BD cheer zone.

I think its a fair question to ask how all of a sudden BD has gotten to 20%.
Another scare away post by a BD fanboy. Need I remind you again what the definition of a forum is. This is getting unreasonable!!

The warzone is that way >----->

While the responses above you actually have something to do with the topic, yours takes it completely off course and is just bait. In the end, you're being more disruptive.

You posted an article that claims things never before disclosed and then any question as to the source or accuracy means that it's worthy of a harsher forum environment?

I'd like to see the rationale here.

Player in a tv is a dumb idea anyways.

Also, I'd like to know why we have guys that troll in here who dont own a BD player(nonrev thinks ANY question that belittles BD is a VALID question, regardless of fact)? Not enough action in the HDDVD forum :haha

Not sure how accurate 20 percent is but if you add up all the re releases in Blu to list of new releases it is possible. No country for Old men sold almost 10 percent on Blu ray.

I can see the built in recorder being a selling point to some. But would it not open the door to piracy?

The smart consumer never buys this combo crap. Why would anyone want this? SO you have a BD player that only works on one set? Or so you can pay high repair bills when it breaks? Or maybe the inflated price will be the selling point? Or maybe its the recording of OTA programs only? What a waste of a recorder. :rolleyes:

I suspect it's a player, not a recorder.

LCD TVs with built in DVD players have been sold for years. Space savers. I'll bet you'll see at least one for sale in any Costco, BJs or Sam's you go into. And many RVs sold today come with big LCD TVs up front, with separate players, and small LCD TVs in the bedroom, with a built in DVD player.

50% by the end of this year?

Maybe that's their metric... Not market share, but number of titles released day and date on blu-ray.

The no country numbers are nice and all, but has that ratio been sustained? We'll never know since they're not still tooting that horn... Which means probably not...

folks just because this is not the war-zone does not mean this is the "BD love fest forum" - people can say what they want, and can be critical.

War-zone is for heated battles of course, dealing with pro's and con's of each; and primarily venting at this point.

Hmmm.. maybe. I mean at this point having 2 BD players in the home is going to be a pretty small percentage of people.

I agree not anytime soon for the masses unless there is a drastic drop in hardware prices. I was thinking more for use and convenience vs affordability. Even though some people will buy anything branded by Sony;)

as a consumer I personally see an LCD with a built in a very smart idea, and this comes from the same consumer who would of NEVER bought a Tube TV/DVD combo.

Why?

Because for most users, the biggest draw back for wall mounting your LCD is all the extra cords you need to hook up all your various components, not having to fish cables thru a wall or find other ways to hide them is a very nice idea to me.

A TV with built in blu-ray is a plus for a bedroom/childs play room.

I like the small bedroom TV thought, that's a good one. Biggest obstacle to that would be how early BD is in development. If it was a non 2.0 capable (ootb or firmware later) player they are putting in these TVs it should be a crime. If its 2.0 ootb I think the price will be a bit too high to be viable for this segment. All that aside, could make price interesting if it's ready for full compliance ootb.

Also, this is a harder market for us to understand IMO, because it would be a good for people who don't have HD or BD currently... a nice item for people to get talked into at WalMart or something 'go hd and blu-ray in one fel swoop... and here's your interest rate'. Wouldnt be for people who post here as we tend to tweak and rotate in new components into our systems and move older ones around the house.

Regardless, I look forward to the implementation/pricing, but it could very well not ever materialize into anything significant (see: directv IRDs in TVs)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts