Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
The PS2 may give a boost to Blu-ray, one of the warring next-generation videodisc formats.

By Owen Thomas, Business 2.0 staff writer
January 18, 2006: 12:12 PM EST

SAN FRANCISCO (Business 2.0) - When Sony's PlayStation 2 came out with a built-in DVD player, it did a lot to advance the format. Partisans of Blu-Ray, a next-generation videodisc, are hoping that Sony's PlayStation 3 will do the same. A Pioneer executive estimates that the PS3 will ship between 4 million and 7 million units at launch.

Source: http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/18/technology/browser0118/index.htm

I read an estimate a few months ago of 30 million the first 3 years. Now we know the reason for the format battle.

That would be impressive.

But considering the best ps2 could ship, at least in the USA, was 500K, I highly doubt they will be able to ship that many units.

In fact, I would bet my house they won't ship over 1 million in the USA on launch day.

Now, of course, what's the launch window? First day, 1 week, 1 months, 1Q???

Sony had been good in the past at making their own definitions up as they go. Just as much as they have changed specs at the last minute, such as they did with the ps2.

That ship number just ain't gonna happen.

Ilya said:
SAN FRANCISCO (Business 2.0) - When Sony's PlayStation 2 came out with a built-in DVD player, it did a lot to advance the format.

Yeah, there wasn't any competition, LOL, unlike now:rolleyes: .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)