CNET Editor Advises HD DVD Owners: Sell Sell Sell

George, FWIW, the article makes sense to me.

FYI - I am not invested in either side, but would like to see the war come to an end.

Jim

It still makes no sense to worry about your HD-DVD library. Unless you are in the 30 day return window and can take it back, you may as well enjoy your movies. If you pick up steal of a deal during close out sales so much the better, it is not really worse than PPV. I personally bought the XBOX drive to transfer my collection to a hard drive. It is not like the HD-DVDs will spontaneously combust in a few months.

I hope every HD DVD owner but me sells, I've scored so many great deals on movies it's crazy.

I had to shake my head and wonder WTF he would advise them to sell a $100 HD DVD player to try and raise enough money for a $400 PS3. :down

A smart man would say sell the movies, keep the player and rent movies. Moreover, use the player to upconvert (Seriously, not every movie is available on high def!) until Blu-Ray players come down in price. :cool:.

It still makes no sense to worry about your HD-DVD library. Unless you are in the 30 day return window and can take it back, you may as well enjoy your movies. If you pick up steal of a deal during close out sales so much the better, it is not really worse than PPV. I personally bought the XBOX drive to transfer my collection to a hard drive. It is not like the HD-DVDs will spontaneously combust in a few months.
Exactly and this is the worst case scenario.

+1 Yep, I picked up a new Xbox drive off eBay for under $100 for playback on my PC & eventually transfer copies to a Home Media Server.

I hope every HD DVD owner but me sells, I've scored so many great deals on movies it's crazy.

You still finding bargains? I picked a couple HD DVD titles off eBay for cheap right after Warner, but the market seems to have really stabilized. I'm actually finding it easy to snag BDs for cheap - I got a new copy of Gridiron Gang this weekend for $12.50 shipped, and The Simpsons for $14.50.

Ive been very lucky on ebay with BD titles too, I dont just think its HDDVD.

Got Simpsons and Sunshine for $40 new shipped. Much better than Amazon.

I did very well in the Laserdisc panic, and have enjoyed those movies for years. Ready to do so again if folks start selling off HD-DVDs for $1/disc.

Why sell? If from what I have read, HD-DVD players do a fine job of upconverting and just how long will those HD-DVD discs last, there should be a place somewhere in your house for the HD-DVD player. The only reason to sell is if you really want to respend that money on BD and you somehow believe that the BD copy of the movie in HD-DVD will be better -- which up to now on dual format studio releases has not been the case. Both seem to be pretty much equal.

I guess if you have recently purchased HD-DVD and do not have alot invested that would be a wise move but if you have already purchased 30 to 40 movies or more -- why sell?

You still finding bargains? I picked a couple HD DVD titles off eBay for cheap right after Warner, but the market seems to have really stabilized. I'm actually finding it easy to snag BDs for cheap - I got a new copy of Gridiron Gang this weekend for $12.50 shipped, and The Simpsons for $14.50.

Deals are nowhere near as good as they were right after the warner announcement (heck it was like some people were paying me to take their HD DVDs). I peruse the forums at AVS and Highdefdigest and get deals there still.

But like you and a couple others have stated, BD deals are popping up on ebay and other places now. I've actually sold more BD then I have bought lately it seems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)