Blu Standalones Out-Sell HD-DVD ($99) in December

hpman247

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Even HD-DVD players being $200 cheaper, they still can't outsell the Blu.

"It’s hard for us to speculate about impact this will have on the format war. All we can do really is make the best decision for our business and the rest of it will really take care of itself, in time," he said. "One of the things you see in the NPD data for this fourth quarter was that even with a $100 [price] premium, Blu-ray set tops outsold HD set tops in December. Even with Toshiba having the lowest-cost player in the market, software sales remained 2 to 1 in favor of Blu-ray."

And i just read this on N4G. Had me cracking up
The world is changing. Who now has the strength to stand against the armies of Sony and Warner? To stand against the might of Blu Ray and Hollywood and the union of the two towers? Together, Lord Sony, we shall rule this Earth. The old enemy HD-DVD will burn in the fires of industry. Forests will fall. A new order will rise. We will drive the machinery of war with the sword and the spear and the iron fist of the Blu. We have only to remove those who oppose us.

Warner gets the blu's - Media Wonk - Blog on ContentAgenda.com - 1500000150

Even HD-DVD players being $200 cheaper, they still can't outsell the Blu.

"It’s hard for us to speculate about impact this will have on the format war. All we can do really is make the best decision for our business and the rest of it will really take care of itself, in time," he said. "One of the things you see in the NPD data for this fourth quarter was that even with a $100 [price] premium, Blu-ray set tops outsold HD set tops in December. Even with Toshiba having the lowest-cost player in the market, software sales remained 2 to 1 in favor of Blu-ray."

And i just read this on N4G. Had me cracking up
The world is changing. Who now has the strength to stand against the armies of Sony and Warner? To stand against the might of Blu Ray and Hollywood and the union of the two towers? Together, Lord Sony, we shall rule this Earth. The old enemy HD-DVD will burn in the fires of industry. Forests will fall. A new order will rise. We will drive the machinery of war with the sword and the spear and the iron fist of the Blu. We have only to remove those who oppose us.

Warner gets the blu's - Media Wonk - Blog on ContentAgenda.com - 1500000150
It has me laughing too. So now you are creating threads out of blogs? I wonder how many PS3's they are counting or what the source is?

Well it was a direct quote buddy!
From a blog with no link to the source. Find the quotes from a real news source, otherwise it could be all made up. I'd like to see what kind of grade you would recieve at Hokie high quoting blogs. :rolleyes:

The way I read it is that Ron Sanders president of the Warner home video division is being quoted

Vurbano, here is the quote

Media Wonk attended an industry dinner in Hollywood in early December where he ran into Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group president Kevin Tsujihara and home video president Ron Sanders.

According to Sanders, however, Warner's decision was driven by consumer behavior, more than an expectation of resolving the format war.

here is a link:
N4G.com : Blu-ray Standalone's Outsold HD DVD players in December despite $99 Sale

from gizmodo:
Interview: Why Warner Went Full Throttle With Blu-ray

This is what Ive read a few places as being a quote from Warner.

This is what Ive read a few places as being a quote from Warner.

I slightly disagree he says Set top boxes. Not stand alone units. I am sure he counted PS3s in this number.

And what a shock that a Video game system sells well in December :D I would have never guessed it. LoL

*shrug* whatever though. WB switched nothing can be done about that now. :cool:

I slightly disagree he says Set top boxes. Not stand alone units. I am sure he counted PS3s in this number.

And what a shock that a Video game system sells well in December :D I would have never guessed it. LoL

*shrug* whatever though. WB switched nothing can be done about that now. :cool:

Yepp, I think counting hardware is stupid and Ive said it before. You CANT accurately count hardware with the PS3.

When they use the PS3 number, people say "BS, not every ps3 owner plays movies". When they dont use the number, people say "BS, BD has 8 times as many BD players and they only beat us 2 to 1". Its crap, not worth arguing about.

The fact is, there are over 8 mil ps3's sold now, if only 10% watch movies, thats a lot and the number will grow. Plus BD player pirces are coming down and they are selling better.

Yepp, I think counting hardware is stupid and Ive said it before. You CANT accurately count hardware with the PS3.

When they use the PS3 number, people say "BS, not every ps3 owner plays movies". When they dont use the number, people say "BS, BD has 8 times as many BD players and they only beat us 2 to 1". Its crap, not worth arguing about.

The fact is, there are over 8 mil ps3's sold now, if only 10% watch movies, thats a lot and the number will grow. Plus BD player pirces are coming down and they are selling better.

Actually the price has gone back up on BD players since christmas. Go check Best Buy.com etc.

And without the competition expect a stagnate market.

But doesn't change the fact you guys won.

Actually the price has gone back up on BD players since christmas. Go check Best Buy.com etc.

And without the competition expect a stagnate market.

But doesn't change the fact you guys won.

You keep saying you guys won. Keep in mind I was a staunch bd supporter until the $98 deal. I sat on the sidelines over Christmas because of the Warner rumors. Now that its official Im fully supporting BD again and I am glad they won because I prefer the STORAGE format better and the CE support.

That being said, if we woulda heard that Fox and WB went HDDVD on Friday, I'd be biting the bullet and putting my money into HDDVD software. My main concern is that HDM survives.

I think he was referring to Blu-ray stand alone units outselling HD DVD stand alone units. I seem to recall reading this claim elsewhere. If that is in fact the case, I suspect it meant a great deal to Warner.

Prices fall. Features expand. No supposed cost advantage lasts forever. And people, especially people buying at the leading edge, are prone to do cost-benefit decisions more than just price tag checks.

ROTFL!!!!

they have only sold 7.2 mil world wide. i think it is someware closer to 3.8 to 4 mil in the US.

last i checked that was what mattered to those of us here in the US...

i am probably wrong but this dicession by WB in the us has nothing to do with UK studio. if it did you would not have been able to import those BD only movies on HD.

Not that i was going to pay those inflated prices.

Youre right, I was thinking 8.2 but its currently 7.2.

Now, who cares about the US number? Do you think BD vs HDDVD is only a US war?

In a way it always has been. I mean Betamax still has a following (or did) in Japan and Europe. But all but completely died in America.

And I say you guys because even though you hedged your bets by buying a A2 you were still heavily vested in BD. Example is how you always say how mad you got when Paramont went HD exclusive. True neutral wouldn't care either way. Or how your library is 3:1 BD when some of those titles could have been bought HD-DVD. I understand BOGOs probably fed into that. *shrug*.

Hedging bets is fine. It can be a smart move when its cheap to insure yourself, but don't claim neutrality when your heart is set one way. :D

It will be like when I end up buying a PS3 to play FFXIII, I would be lying if I claimed neutrality because I owned both systems. I just know that the game I want to play is on that system. *shrug*

last i checked that was what mattered to those of us here in the US...

i am probably wrong but this dicession by WB in the us has nothing to do with UK studio. if it did you would not have been able to import those BD only movies on HD.

Not that i was going to pay those inflated prices.

Worldwide chief, not just the US. Just like WB's decision.

One thing us Americans do a lot(I do it myself) is think we are the center of the world. We need to get used to the fact that it's waning.

In a way it always has been. I mean Betamax still has a following (or did) in Japan and Europe. But all but completely died in America.

And I say you guys because even though you hedged your bets by buying a A2 you were still heavily vested in BD. Example is how you always say how mad you got when Paramont went HD exclusive. True neutral wouldn't care either way. Or how your library is 3:1 BD when some of those titles could have been bought HD-DVD. I understand BOGOs probably fed into that. *shrug*.

Hedging bets is fine. It can be a smart move when its cheap to insure yourself, but don't claim neutrality when your heart is set one way. :D

I bought the A2 because of the paramount decision and I was pissed because I had to have two players. I conceded when it comes to movies there is no reason in arguing and its why I avoided the war zone. Many of my BD titles were bought before the A2, and honestly most of the catalog titles I wanted to buy were BD.

I did show bias if it was a warner movie, I bought the BD version. So how's 70/30 then ;)

Doesnt stop the fact that if the announcement went the other way I would been behind HDDVD, especially losing Fox.

As far as Im concerned, Im tired of two formats and I hope this is the beginning of the end.

I bought the A2 because of the paramount decision and I was pissed because I had to have two players. I conceded when it comes to movies there is no reason in arguing and its why I avoided the war zone. Many of my BD titles were bought before the A2, and honestly most of the catalog titles I wanted to buy were BD.

I did show bias if it was a warner movie, I bought the BD version. So how's 70/30 then ;)

Doesnt stop the fact that if the announcement went the other way I would been behind HDDVD, especially losing Fox.

As far as Im concerned, Im tired of two formats and I hope this is the beginning of the end.

It is the beginning of the end, you don't have to fret long for that. 1.2 years and counting. (I doubt paramont wants to fight with MS lawyers).

But maybe they will come to an agreement, but I see Paramont losing in any agreement made to drop HD-DVD. MS is a company who will milk it for every thing its worth. :D

Can't wait for Uncle Bills CES keynote tonight. Should be pretty revealing.

Worldwide chief, not just the US. Just like WB's decision.

One thing us Americans do a lot(I do it myself) is think we are the center of the world. We need to get used to the fact that it's waning.

i was not sure if B was the same studio in the UK or not...

i would agree that we are not the center of the universe. we are a suburb of Japan :D

and the middle east has us by the short a curlys wth the oil..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)