HD DVD starting to out sell BD head to head.

The whole amazon sales rank is so bogus, it is just hype. Lets say one day 20k copies are sold and one format has 75% and the other has 25%. Then the next day 5k copies are sold and the numbers are reversed. Clearly the one that sold a ton more on the 20k day more than made up than the 5k day.

There is no way to tell anything from amazon numbers other than what was popular on a given day. It does not tell you how many titles were sold.

(Edit: took forever to finally finish my thought and submit this post, so Mike got in before me making a similar point :))

The issue with them is the same that is with the NPD results. Without real numbers, it's hard for either side to legitamately tout anything. The initial neck in neck sales were surely 'large' numbers (say, 40k each, for sake of argument). And then a few days later, a gap appears. For all we know, this means one sold 350 units, the other sold 200. That's not as dramatic as the figures/graph would have you think they are.

Even worse, with Amazon people imply that this is the trend for a retail B&M shopper as well, declaring victory for whichever side they're representing. The same goes for the NPD numbers, which aren't a complete picture.

In the end, it's all crap. Discs in homes does not equal victory. We don't know how much revanue is being brought in due to sales and deals on both sides. That will dictate studio support.

Did anyone actually READ the first article (not the second BLOG)?

Bourne sold less than SM3 over 6 days if you include the SM3 trilogy. Maybe the "unofficial" Bourne trilogy will make up for that - we'll see.

HP HD-DVD sold nearly as much as its BD counterpart, "managing a 45:55 ratio." Meaning HD-DVD sold 45 and BD sold 55.

It also didn't say that the numbers were pulled from Amazon - it said they matched what was also seen on Amazon.

I read through all five pages of this, sure that I would find someone who had beat me to this, but no.... I won't call it FUD, but someone sure can't read very well.

Did anyone actually READ the first article (not the second BLOG)?

Bourne sold less than SM3 over 6 days if you include the SM3 trilogy. Maybe the "unofficial" Bourne trilogy will make up for that - we'll see.

HP HD-DVD sold nearly as much as its BD counterpart, "managing a 45:55 ratio." Meaning HD-DVD sold 45 and BD sold 55.

It also didn't say that the numbers were pulled from Amazon - it said they matched what was also seen on Amazon.

I read through all five pages of this, sure that I would find someone who had beat me to this, but no.... I won't call it FUD, but someone sure can't read very well.
No one here is dumb and we can all read. At the time I posted this thread the article said HD DVD was leading, it has since been ammended by the site. Apparently to reflect changing sales trends. I had been asked via private message to change the title of this thread but refused because according to the graph HD DVD had multiple leads in sales during the first week. The first few days of a release is where the bigest sales totals per day occur, HD DVD lead during those important early 3-4 days. Naturely as the days go on sales numbers per day will decrease, thats when BD edged into the lead, but the custion was already built up. I hope this in not to hard to understand, this is why I have not changed my thread title.

Dollar short and a day late.

The first few days of a release is where the bigest sales totals per day occur, HD DVD lead during those important early 3-4 days. Naturely as the days go on sales numbers per day will decrease, thats when BD edged into the lead, but the custion was already built up. I hope this in not to hard to understand, this is why I have not changed my thread title.

If the sales in the first few days was enough to have HD-DVD in the lead they sure couldn't keep it since the Potters had better sales in Blu-Ray.

The only reason is because Harry Potter comes in dual format. HD DVD and DVD. I have both systems and I chose HD DVD only so my son can watch in in his room on his regular DVD player. This is only with this movie.
Al other movies my first choice is BD format.

I don't agree. Combos is not the reason. I hate combos. I hate paying $5 more for combos than straight up HD-DVD discs. I understand what they are trying to do by transition people into the new format, but nobody without HD-DVD is going to buy a combo disc for way more than a standard def DVD with the thought that "I will buy this now so when I buy an HD-DVD player I'll have the disc." It is also geared for people with more than one TV and only one HD-DVD player to be able to watch the movie on one of their other TVs using the SD disc. But why would anybody do that? Combo discs suck!

I have 2 HD-DVD players (Toshiba stand alone and the Xbox 360 add on) and Playstation 3 for Bluray.

I always buy the HD-DVD version of a disc if it is available in both formats. I have no problem at all with Bluray and enjoy both formats. In my home we are just limited to the livingroom TV where the PS3 is if we want to watch a Bluray disc. We can watch the HD-DVDs in either room. The quality is excellent in both formats. Screw the fanboys of both. I like both.

No one here is dumb and we can all read. At the time I posted this thread the article said HD DVD was leading, it has since been ammended by the site. Apparently to reflect changing sales trends. I had been asked via private message to change the title of this thread but refused because according to the graph HD DVD had multiple leads in sales during the first week. The first few days of a release is where the bigest sales totals per day occur, HD DVD lead during those important early 3-4 days. Naturely as the days go on sales numbers per day will decrease, thats when BD edged into the lead, but the custion was already built up. I hope this in not to hard to understand, this is why I have not changed my thread title.

OK, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that the article was changed (although whether it's because of "changing sales trends" as you say or because they just made a mistake the first time, I'm not sure), but are you really now telling me that you're clinging to the fact that they outsold BD for ONE OR TWO DAYS, even though BD took the week overall? What does that prove, other than that HD-DVD owners shop on Tuesday and BD owners shop on Friday?

...I hear if Harry Potter HD-DVD outsells BD by a 1% margin that all BD supporters will immediately drop support for BD and go HD-DVD exclusive, it is that huge!!

...I hear if Harry Potter HD-DVD outsells BD by a 1% margin that all BD supporters will immediately drop support for BD and go HD-DVD exclusive, it is that huge!!

So that is why Amazon has a BOGO that includes the Harry Potters. I guess the war is soon to be over.:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)