Sorry, but I can only see H/J failure in the future...

You ignore the added functionality and the fact that it is optional. Happy with what you've got, keep what you've got.
Everyone values the functionality differently. For me it's largely based on outlets and fees.

I would like to upgrade but keep the fees modest. That's my feedback to Dish along with the many others on this forum who share my sentiments.

Why do you want to upgrade, if you're getting what you want today, and for less?

Why do you want to upgrade, if you're getting what you want today, and for less?
It doesn't really matter as i value the upgrade slightly less than the people who are basically telling everyone to suck it up and accept the higher fees. Even Scott agrees that the first Joey fee is too much and imo he's had a pretty fair analysis of Dish over the years.

Just correcting/elaborating what the other person said. :)

To be fair, I see a couple of posts that have it wrong and am tempted to post, just trying not to go over the same stuff again, but I see your point.... :)

To be fair, I see a couple of posts that have it wrong and am tempted to post, just trying not to go over the same stuff again, but I see your point.... :)
Thank you Tampa...I'm not wanting to beat a dead horse here either, but others keep chiming in here with "it's not so bad, and you don't have to upgrade if you don't like it" comments...

To answer navychop's question: I want to upgrade as I can finally go to 3 independent TVs without losing the integrated DVR...but for me to do that, it's too steep at $18 more a month. I'd easily add another outlet for $11, but $18, not sure. $11 to keep the same # outlets...I'll pass. If it would be $4 more to upgrade my existing outlet to HD, I'd jump on that too.

Upfront costs are not an issue.

The irony of it is, the people who are telling others to suck it up or forget it, are the ones whos fees would actually go down with a Hopper replacement.

sparc said:
It doesn't really matter as i value the upgrade slightly less than the people who are basically telling everyone to suck it up and accept the higher fees. Even Scott agrees that the first Joey fee is too much and imo he's had a pretty fair analysis of Dish over the years.

Sparc, nobody is telling anybody to "suck it up and accept the higher fees." Several points here:

1. those that are willing to pay the higher fees feel that the features of the Hopper/Joey are worth the cost, whereas those who aren't interested in those new features aren't willing to pay for them. This should hardly be seen as surprising.

2. As multiple posters have pointed out, Dish's fees are in line with the competition, which makes the constant refrain of "the fees, the fees" a little hard to take at face value.

3. The Hopper/Joey are a NEW OPTION. NOBODY will be forced to switch to them. So why the outrage?

3. The Hopper/Joey are a NEW OPTION. NOBODY will be forced to switch to them. So why the outrage?
Look, another question to be answered! :rolleyes: :D

Because some, and I'd say a good portion of their customer base, are being forced NOT to upgrade due to the difference in fees.

Check with Comcast and direct tv. We're no higher than any other Provider. I think everyone nowadays especially dish customers want something for nothing. These are the same people that become irate over having to pay fifty bucks to have a tv mirrored. If your in that tight of a pinch maybe you shouldn't have dvr service.

dare2be said:
Look, another question to be answered! :rolleyes: :D

Because some, and I'd say a good portion of their customer base, are being forced NOT to upgrade due to the difference in fees.

"you keep using that word. I do not think you know what it means."

FORCED means you have no option. CHOICE means that you can choose to upgrade, or choose to switch to a diffrerent provider, or choose to stay with your current setup. This is TV, people! Nobody is putting a gun to anybody's head.

Children, children...come get your milk and graham crackers, and then get on your little rugs and go to sleep and everything will be fine when you mother comes to pick you up.

"you keep using that word. I do not think you know what it means."
I'm not the one who keeps bringing up that word. I was just answering snark with snark. And then rorshach chimes in with another bad assumption and accusation.

KAB is right, this is getting us nowhere...say "uncle" and I'll let it go. :D

Last edited:
I'm not the one who keeps bringing up that word. I was just answering snark with snark.

U.N.C.L.E. United Network Command for Law and Enforcement. Said!

dare2be said:
I'm not the one who keeps bringing up that word. I was just answering snark with snark.

I will cheerfully agree to disagree.

I notice that no one complains about the second Hopper only being $7/month. Not the $17 a 622/722/922 would cost you.

For the one SD TV the hopper system is $11 more/month, a 722 would probably be best for 1 HD 1 SD.

If you do not have SD the hopper is at most $4/month more with more than 1 HDTV (a 722 and a 211).

If you have 3+ HDTVs and do not want all 211 for the extra TVs, the hopper system starts to be less expensive.

It is not for everyone, but it is less expensive in some configurations.

Well for me u have the 722k currently with an hd receiver in the bedroom. My increase may be 4 or 5 bucks but that's it. Isn't 7 bucks even if it's another hopper better than 17 bucks??

People are saying the fees are in line with other companies and have mentioned D*'s fees as a comparison but I haven't seen a lot about the cable companies. I looked at my local Time Warner website and found this:
Digital Box: $6.46/mo
Universal remote: 0.36/mo
Digital Service on additional outlets (includes equipment): $10.35/mo
DVR Service (add to Digital TV): $12.95/mo
Whole house DVR service (server): $19.99/mo plus equipment
Whole house playback receiver: $10.35/mo

Now for that price you get a whopping 25 hours of HD on the standard DVR and the whole house DVR gives you 70 hours. While it will feed up to 4 TVs at once, it only has two tuners so you can record only two shows at once. They also charge install fees which range from $24.99 for three services, to $42.50 for one service for new customers and $29.99 for existing customers.

I'm not saying I like to pay fees...just saying it seems to me Dish is providing a lot more value than TWC which is a competitor in the same industry.

I notice that no one complains about the second Hopper only being $7/month. Not the $17 a 622/722/922 would cost you.

For the one SD TV the hopper system is $11 more/month, a 722 would probably be best for 1 HD 1 SD.

If you do not have SD the hopper is at most $4/month more with more than 1 HDTV (a 722 and a 211).

If you have 3+ HDTVs and do not want all 211 for the extra TVs, the hopper system starts to be less expensive.

It is not for everyone, but it is less expensive in some configurations.

I agree. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw Dish was only charging $7/mo. for a second Hopper. As long as Dish allows more Hoppers than Joeys I don't see why people wouldn't do it. Of course there is the $199 fee to get the second one but there's a $99 to get a second 722k currently.

The hopper being only $7.00 is a GOOD thing. The first joey being charged $7.00 is a bad thing. If all you have is a hopper and one joey , you are already paying $11.00 more a month to get tv in a second room in HD. This is a very BAD thing. If DISH has allowed the first joey and first hopper to be FREE , I don't think anyone would gripe about it and many would be upgrading to the new system as soon as it came online. But add to the higher FEEs , no ota support (coming SOON! this summer) and no linking the two hoppers together(Coming SOON!) and you see why this is not a solution to many here on this board. Waiting for promised applications like ota and hopper communication, is a lot like waiting for the sling extender. I went through that long wait and it was the reason why I wanted the 922 so much: HD on tv 2 . I have since learned after the 922 debacle. Never be the first to upgrade and never upgrade till the Promises are delivered on. If DISH continues to follow in the same history as they have before, I will be waiting a LONG time for the hopper to be in my home. Of course, I would still have to get over my distaste for the extra FEES that come along with the upgrade as well as the monthly fee increase.:eek:

While everyone wants a free lunch now and then, the fee for the 1st Joey is in line with any of the competition.

D* charges $6/additional receiver and will most likely charge that same fee for the rumored RVU box. They also have an MRV fee, just like the Hopper/Joey situation and a DVR fee. Now they charge $20 for all of that as an Advanced Receiver Fee and waive the $10 of it for HD for 2 years for new customers. Beyond that no one actually knows what that fee will be and whether it will continue the $10 waiver beyond the 2 years.

So for a 2 unit install w/MRV with D* it is $20(ARF)+$6(Lease fee)-$10(HD Waiver) = $16.

With E* and the Hopper/Joey single - $10 (1st Hopper)+$7(lease fee) = $17

While you may not like the way the fees are structured, and some here don't either, I think new customers will be tickled pink with the way things are offered. And I think quite a few existing customers will upgrade to it to get whole home DVR in HD with unified management.

The hopper being only $7.00 is a GOOD thing. The first joey being charged $7.00 is a bad thing. If all you have is a hopper and one joey , you are already paying $11.00 more a month to get tv in a second room in HD. This is a very BAD thing...

Uhh? You can argue about the value of the extra $4 above the DVR fee for the Hopper (and 922, BTW), but the second HD TV today has a minimum $7 fee (211). 2nd HD TV today with DVR features available is more than $7 and could be as high as $17. A Hopper/Joey setup for 2 HD TVs is not the same as a duo DVR with 1 HD and 1 SD TV. The 722/622 choices are fine for that setup, and cheaper, but if you want HD on a second TV, you are going to pay a fee for the second receiver no matter where you go. Hopper/Joey combination (or Hopper/Hopper) is a lot better than adding a 211.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts