Sorry, but I can only see H/J failure in the future...

Uhh? You can argue about the value of the extra $4 above the DVR fee for the Hopper (and 922, BTW), but the second HD TV today has a minimum $7 fee (211). 2nd HD TV today with DVR features available is more than $7 and could be as high as $17. A Hopper/Joey setup for 2 HD TVs is not the same as a duo DVR with 1 HD and 1 SD TV. The 722/622 choices are fine for that setup, and cheaper, but if you want HD on a second TV, you are going to pay a fee for the second receiver no matter where you go. Hopper/Joey combination (or Hopper/Hopper) is a lot better than adding a 211.

I actually agree with you 100%. But, could you imagine if Dish did actually make the first Joey free? It would make it SOOO much more attractive to many more people. I think the benefits of including the first Joey for free outweigh the benefits of charging for it.

I actually agree with you 100%. But, could you imagine if Dish did actually make the first Joey free? It would make it SOOO much more attractive to many more people. I think the benefits of including the first Joey for free outweigh the benefits of charging for it.

I couldn't agree more. OTOH, looking at it from Dish's perspective, how many Hopper/Joey users will have more than one Joey? If the vast majority of their customers only have one, and they don't charge a fee for it, that's a lot of revenue lost. On the third hand, if losing that revenue attracts more customers, who would pay more programming fees, Dish might come out ahead even so.

I'm kinda getting a little annoyed with all the "Fees Fees FEES!":rant: rage that's been going on since the 16th. So I actually took a look at my bill and did the math. Going from the setup in my sig (922 and 222) to a Hopper and 2 Joeys isn't going to change my bill at all. In fact, I will gain HD in an additional room and be able to access all my recorded programming from any one. I'm sorry but I'm pretty happy with what I'm paying $99 to get into. (And $30 for a Sling adapter granted I would have been a little ticked if it was still $99.) Just out of curiousity, I looked at CenturyTel's Prism service, which just came into my area, and Charter... Not as many channels, the same kind of fees... No thank you. I'll stick with DISH.

I couldn't agree more. OTOH, looking at it from Dish's perspective, how many Hopper/Joey users will have more than one Joey? If the vast majority of their customers only have one, and they don't charge a fee for it, that's a lot of revenue lost. On the third hand, if losing that revenue attracts more customers, who would pay more programming fees, Dish might come out ahead even so.

That was my whole reason for being angry with DISH over the FEES. If you take the hopper now , you have to pay $11.00 more to watch hd tv in another room. This one change and letting the first joey being FREE ,would of been a game change for DISH. They could of added subs like crazy and their profits would of soared due to more subs instead of more , ever increasing FEES. But DISH let their greed get in the way again. They would rather have more monthly revenue and put that above adding subs . Their path is not sustainable in the long run. You can't continue to grow if you don't add subs. Adding and losing the same million subs over and over again, is just running in place. Your not falling behind ,but your not getting ahead either.

Post of the day!

I'm kinda getting a little annoyed with all the "Fees Fees FEES!":rant: rage that's been going on since the 16th. So I actually took a look at my bill and did the math. Going from the setup in my sig (922 and 222) to a Hopper and 2 Joeys isn't going to change my bill at all. In fact, I will gain HD in an additional room and be able to access all my recorded programming from any one. I'm sorry but I'm pretty happy with what I'm paying $99 to get into. (And $30 for a Sling adapter granted I would have been a little ticked if it was still $99.) Just out of curiousity, I looked at CenturyTel's Prism service, which just came into my area, and Charter... Not as many channels, the same kind of fees... No thank you. I'll stick with DISH.
I agree. Because you're overpaying now for receiver fees, it doesn't make the hopper fees look so bad. :D

So now Dish has jumped off the same bridge just because everyone else is doing it.

Last edited:

Post of the day!
It's more important in how you say something, than what you say, I guess. :)

I've outlined in a post somewhere in one of these threads how Dish could generate more overall fee revenue by making the first joey free. I myself would be willing to spend that extra $11 a month to add an additional outlet.

I really think that the overall concensus is that people would sign up in a heartbeat if the first Joey were included. Since Dish knows this I hope they reconsider. I know they won't right away. There are going to see how it does first and then make the appropriate changes when we go to Team Summit. They do the same thing every year. They role out a new promo in February and see how its does. The changes they make are announced at Team Summit and then everyone gets all excited. It's pretty smart if you ask me.

I really think that the overall concensus is that people would sign up in a heartbeat if the first Joey were included. Since Dish knows this I hope they reconsider. I know they won't right away. There are going to see how it does first and then make the appropriate changes when we go to Team Summit. They do the same thing every year. They role out a new promo in February and see how its does. The changes they make are announced at Team Summit and then everyone gets all excited. It's pretty smart if you ask me.

I think it makes sense for them to start out where they think they want to be long term and get a baseline. Then experiment discounting with the promos if needed, touting "2nd TV Free" etc. If new subs ring the phones off the hook they know their on to something.

Scherrman said:
I really think that the overall concensus is that people would sign up in a heartbeat if the first Joey were included.

First joey included would have = aggressive pricing they claimed.

It's more important in how you say something, than what you say, I guess. :)

I've outlined in a post somewhere in one of these threads how Dish could generate more overall fee revenue by making the first joey free. I myself would be willing to spend that extra $11 a month to add an additional outlet.
Perception is reality.

First joey included would have = aggressive pricing they claimed.

Agreed. The $7 per month revenue "lost" would more than have been made up by the fees and programming charges collected over the 24-month commitment period. It would have been a golden opportunity to lock in a lot of current subs that are at the end or not currently in a contract....

I agree. Because you're overpaying now for receiver fees, it doesn't make the hopper fees look so bad. :D

Ha ha! I see what you did there. :rolleyes:

No, I don't think I'm overpaying. If I did, I would have jumped ship long time ago. I guess I'm just in the minority.
Just to be clear, I think the first Joey should have been free too. It's just not the deal breaker it seems to be for a bunch of people here.

Ha ha! I see what you did there. :rolleyes:

No, I don't think I'm overpaying. If I did, I would have jumped ship long time ago. I guess I'm just in the minority.
Just to be clear, I think the first Joey should have been free too. It's just not the deal breaker it seems to be for a bunch of people here.

I think there are quite a few subs with only one DVR in their household that are using TV2 to feed the second TV which often is another HDTV in the bedroom. After all, that's how Dish sold the system in the first place. For them, it's $195 out of pocket with the installation fee added and an additional $11 per month plus commitment. They'll have to consider whether that cost is worth the benefit derived. I would think it will not be for quite a few of these subs. I'd bet a significant number won't even care about something called the Hopper and Joey if they are satisfied. Many will be waiting out their commitment to churn to the next provider. They'll get the new system when they churn back and Dish makes it the default install.:)

Laddyboy said:
I think there are quite a few subs with only one DVR in their household that are using TV2 to feed the second TV which often is another HDTV in the bedroom. After all, that's how Dish sold the system in the first place. For them, it's $195 out of pocket with the installation fee added and an additional $11 per month plus commitment. They'll have to consider whether that cost is worth the benefit derived. I would think it will not be for quite a few of these subs. I'd bet a significant number won't even care about something called the Hopper and Joey if they are satisfied. Many will be waiting out their commitment to churn to the next provider. They'll get the new system when they churn back and Dish makes it the default install.:)

Exactly! We have a 722. Hd tv in den hd tv in bedroom, older sd tv in wifes office (split off of bedroom tv feed). Hopper/Joey sure sounds wicked cool, but not if it is going to cost $11.00 more and an instalation fee. Besides, for the most part we don't watch a lot of tv in bedroom so having hd there is not a must have.

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

Uhh? You can argue about the value of the extra $4 above the DVR fee for the Hopper (and 922, BTW), but the second HD TV today has a minimum $7 fee (211). 2nd HD TV today with DVR features available is more than $7 and could be as high as $17. A Hopper/Joey setup for 2 HD TVs is not the same as a duo DVR with 1 HD and 1 SD TV. The 722/622 choices are fine for that setup, and cheaper, but if you want HD on a second TV, you are going to pay a fee for the second receiver no matter where you go. Hopper/Joey combination (or Hopper/Hopper) is a lot better than adding a 211.

Okay I understand why they charge a $4.00 fee for the whole house dvr. I NEVER understood why they charged an extra $4.00 for the 922,especially since the sling feature rarely worked well,no matter how many hoops you jumped through to comply with their internet capability. As for the first joey being free, it makes perfect sense. How can you have a whole house dvr and have it only work on one tv? You should include the first joey free, just like the hopper, to make the whole house concept work. Besides as I and many others have pointed out , DISH would of added subs like Crazy if they did that one thing. Making the new system higher by at least $11.00 is going down the same FEE ridden road that DISH has been traveling on. This is supposed to be "New Dawn " for DISH . They are supposed to change the way they do business and introduce new products to bring this about. Adding higher monthly FEES to the new hopper is the same old game that DISH has been playing all along. More revenue ,less subs, no long term sustainability as a company.

I'm betting that they will not add as many subs as they seem to think they will . Once potential new subs see the fees associated with their individual bills BEFORE programming is actually added, will cause them to drop the idea all together. If not they will be giving up some joeys to drop their bill quickly . I can remember when the dvr fee was non existent and the additional receiver fees were $4.99 a month. Back then I could have extra dvrs in my home and have extra programming too. Now I have reduced down to the lowest possible programming pack that my family watches and reduced the fees as much as I can. I traded in all my extra dvrs and went with two 211ks that I added external hard drives to, so I could still have dvr functions. I only hope that after DISH seeing the numbers not moving the dial , they do reconsider the first joey and make it part of the basic install free along with the hopper. If not , I don't see this install moving them into positive numbers in their sub totals.

I'm betting that they will not add as many subs as they seem to think they will . Once potential new subs see the fees associated with their individual bills BEFORE programming is actually added, will cause them to drop the idea all together. If not they will be giving up some joeys to drop their bill quickly . I can remember when the dvr fee was non existent and the additional receiver fees were $4.99 a month. Back then I could have extra dvrs in my home and have extra programming too. Now I have reduced down to the lowest possible programming pack that my family watches and reduced the fees as much as I can. I traded in all my extra dvrs and went with two 211ks that I added external hard drives to, so I could still have dvr functions. I only hope that after DISH seeing the numbers not moving the dial , they do reconsider the first joey and make it part of the basic install free along with the hopper. If not , I don't see this install moving them into positive numbers in their sub totals.

I agree mike :)

Sorry, but this whole thing just constantly makes me think Dennis Hopper... Can't help but giggle at a silly name... Just call it a uhh 922-B or something. I dunno, clever names don't always help a new product... Ya know what I mean?

TheKrell said it best: 1st Hopper by itself: $6 DVR fee. 1st Joey adds $4 Whole-Home fee. $7 for each Joey or 2nd Hopper afterward.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)