Sorry Dish, It's a No-Go For Me

hemway

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Arizona
My current system consists of a 722K w/ OTA module (owned), a 211k w/OTA (leased), and the original 211 w/OTA (owned). Both 211’s have external hard drives attached to them so they can be used as DVR’s. Believe it or not but there are a couple of nights that we use all four of the receivers on the 722K to record shows we watch while also recording a couple of shows on the bedroom 211K that we watch in bed every evening. There are nights that we are recording 3 shows off of the satellite (2 on the 722K and 1 on the 211K) while also recording 2 shows off of the OTA tuner (722K).

If we move to the Hopper/Joey setup, it sounds like we’d need 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey to give us the recording capability we have to day. Not only will my monthly equipment charge go up, but my upfront cost is going to be $99 for the first Hopper and another $199 for the 2nd Hopper. Until they integrate the Hoppers, the recording functionality won’t be any different than what I have today. I think another upfront cost most of you also forgot to include is the cost to send your currently leased equipment back. I’m not current on that cost, but I’m sure Dish isn’t going to do free shipping unless the installer picks it up when they do the install.

A whole house system with the newest technology would be nice but I can’t justify in my head (or to my wife) going out and spending $300 for new equipment that’s not going to give me any more recording capability then I have today, plus a higher monthly equipment charge. Maybe when my current equipment dies, I'll consider it, but for now, sorry Dish.

My current system consists of a 722K w/ OTA module (owned), a 211k w/OTA (leased), and the original 211 w/OTA (owned). Both 211’s have external hard drives attached to them so they can be used as DVR’s. Believe it or not but there are a couple of nights that we use all four of the receivers on the 722K to record shows we watch while also recording a couple of shows on the bedroom 211K that we watch in bed every evening. There are nights that we are recording 3 shows off of the satellite (2 on the 722K and 1 on the 211K) while also recording 2 shows off of the OTA tuner (722K).

If we move to the Hopper/Joey setup, it sounds like we’d need 2 Hoppers and 1 Joey to give us the recording capability we have to day. Not only will my monthly equipment charge go up, but my upfront cost is going to be $99 for the first Hopper and another $199 for the 2nd Hopper. Until they integrate the Hoppers, the recording functionality won’t be any different than what I have today. I think another upfront cost most of you also forgot to include is the cost to send your currently leased equipment back. I’m not current on that cost, but I’m sure Dish isn’t going to do free shipping unless the installer picks it up when they do the install.

A whole house system with the newest technology would be nice but I can’t justify in my head (or to my wife) going out and spending $300 for new equipment that’s not going to give me any more recording capability then I have today, plus a higher monthly equipment charge. Maybe when my current equipment dies, I'll consider it, but for now, sorry Dish.

When upgrading you would only pay $200. $100 for the first Hopper and $100 for the second Hopper. You may have to pay a tech visit though.

When upgrading you would only pay $200. $100 for the first Hopper and $100 for the second Hopper. You may have to pay a tech visit though.
I believe that in the Retailer Chat thread it was stated that a second Hopper was $199.
Ok DISH is watching and I am getting email (thanks!)...

Correction... second hopper is $199 and the monthly fee with be $7 a month. And yes 1st Joey will still cost $7 a month.

Thanks DISH for the info!
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-fo...retailer-chat-recap-hopper-2.html#post2779742

Another thing you would lose is your recordings on your 211 since the EHD format is not compatable with the Hopper system.

Sounds to me like you are better off staying where you are.

That's not what has been reported. All I have seen is $99 for the first hopper, $199 for the second if you want two.

I believe that in the Retailer Chat thread it was stated that a second Hopper was $199.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-fo...retailer-chat-recap-hopper-2.html#post2779742

That price is for when new customers sign up. New customers can get the first Hopper for free and would have to pay $199 for the second.

For existing customer it is $100 for a Hopper. The way upgrade pricing usually works is whatever price they have listed for a receiver, that is what it is regardless of how many. For example, if a customer was upgrading to get three 211k receivers right now the upgrade fee is free. Doesn't matter if they are getting one, two or three 211K's the upgrade is still free but they have to pay the tech visit fee. If the upgrade fee of a 211k was $50 then you would have to pay $50 for each receiver.

Price structures are different for New and Existing customers. It gets confusing.

That's not what has been reported. All I have seen is $99 for the first hopper, $199 for the second if you want two.

This is correct, the $99 is good for the first Hopper and up to 3 Joey's. If you want a second Hopper its $199 and $99 for each extra Joey.

I'm thinking it's a no go for me as well - only because of the Tailgater setup in my RV. I only use that during football season, but DISH is pricing me out if they don't let me keep the RV 211K on my account for the 4 months it is active.

Current Setup: 2 622s, each feeding one HD signal and 3 SD signals (yes, I split each SD output to 3 other rooms each, for a total of 8 TVs)
Current fees: $17 + $6 = $23. Include the 211K during football season for $7 and the total is $30

Desired setup: 2 Hoppers, 6 Joeys. Each TV would get an HD signal and eventually share 6 tuners. Looks like the 211K is off the table for this scenario:
Fees: $10+($7x7) = $59. If I could add the 211K during football season ($7), then it's $66 in fees.

I don't have a problem with the fees (or upfront costs) to get new tech, 8 HD outputs and more tuners. If I could have this set up, I'd be happy and DISH could charge me $36 more in fees each month. We all win.

But if they think I'm going to set up and ADDITIONAL account for my 211K ($69.99 AT250 + $7 multisport + $7 receiver fee) on top of the $36 in new fees and my existing programming, they are nuts.

Existing customers it's $99 for the first hopper, $199 for the second right?

No. That's the price for new customers if they subscribe to the AT120 or less.

Existing customers will pay $100 for the first Hopper and $100 for the second Hopper.
If you are an existing customer that is not in good standing with Dish or just signed up then it will be $200 for the first and $200 for the second.

Last edited:

Existing customers will pay $100 for the first Joey and $100 for the second Joey.
If you are an existing customer that is not in good standing with Dish or just signed up then it will be $200 for the first and $200 for the second.

Hoppers, not Joeys. Are we having fun yet? Who's on first? :D

This is what they have told us per the retailer chat and the documents they have given us. I'd say it's pretty set in stone.

Existing customers will pay $100 for the first Hopper and $100 for the second Hopper.

That's better than what was mentioned last Thursday. :)

I'm thinking it's a no go for me as well - only because of the Tailgater setup in my RV. I only use that during football season, but DISH is pricing me out if they don't let me keep the RV 211K on my account for the 4 months it is active.Current Setup: 2 622s, each feeding one HD signal and 3 SD signals (yes, I split each SD output to 3 other rooms each, for a total of 8 TVs)Current fees: $17 + $6 = $23. Include the 211K during football season for $7 and the total is $30Desired setup: 2 Hoppers, 6 Joeys. Each TV would get an HD signal and eventually share 6 tuners. Looks like the 211K is off the table for this scenario:Fees: $10+($7x7) = $59. If I could add the 211K during football season ($7), then it's $66 in fees.I don't have a problem with the fees (or upfront costs) to get new tech, 8 HD outputs and more tuners. If I could have this set up, I'd be happy and DISH could charge me $36 more in fees each month. We all win.But if they think I'm going to set up and ADDITIONAL account for my 211K ($69.99 AT250 + $7 multisport + $7 receiver fee) on top of the $36 in new fees and my existing programming, they are nuts.
I couldn't agree with you more. Dish is really hosing existing customers who are using the tailgater or use the VIP for RVing. I'm a no-go too. There is no way I am going to pay two Dishnetwork accounts so that I can tailgate 4 times a year. I enjoy the tailgaiting too much to lose it to a whole house DVR. Go figure, Dish can't get it right, just like the 922. Just the fact that they are entertaining the idea gets my blood boiling. For now I'll hang on to the 922 till they can get their heads in the game.Josh D.

As I read more I also noticed that the CW network isn't included in th 'PrimeTime Anytime' network list and RG-6 cabling is required between the dish and the solo/duo node, and then from the node to the Hopper. All of the cabling in my house is RG-59 and I'm not letting them hang cables down the side of my house.

I'm sorry Dish is making you all switch to the Hopper and Joey. If only you could just stay with what you have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)