Sorry for the newbie question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sjam613

Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
New Milford, CT
Hello all,

I'm switching over to the Direct TV next Saturday and have the following coming my way:

HDTivo
Standard Tivo
Standard Receiver
Over the Air Antenna

A couple of questions if you don't mind.

1. I'm concerned that I may have signal issues since I have a lot of high trees on my property. My wife is totally against having the dish look to obtrusive (such as a tri-pod). Am I worrying too much of a potential problem?

2. Should I leave my cable lines run or pull them all up prior to install?

Thanks for any advice in advance!

I personally would leave the cable lines if you have had no problems out of them before. As for the off air ant. If you have high trees like you said--it wont work. Here in Tn. our elevation is 45 degrees and @204 degrees. You can check for elevation by taking a piece of notebook paper and folding one corner and folding it down towards the bottom corner.It will not fold all the way to the bottom corner but almost. now that you have done that you take the folded paper and hold it so its as plumb as possible and look up the fold. The fold should be 45 degrees. If you do that and can see no trees you can have a satellite.Trick I learned from years of being a tech.

Is there somewhere on your property where a ground mount would work that wouldn't be blocked by trees? I put mine behind a bunch of shrubs, the wife doesn't even see it.

rad said:
Is there somewhere on your property where a ground mount would work that wouldn't be blocked by trees? I put mine behind a bunch of shrubs, the wife doesn't even see it.

I'm sure that would help, but I was hoping to do it as economically as possible. As for the off-air antenna, I'm 60 miles from New York and 60 miles from Hartford, CT so I'm not sure exactly what market that would place me in.

One thing to add is that I do get a good signal on my Sirus home kit. Should that give me some comfort on the upcoming install?

Secondly, thank you for welcoming me aboard. I have been looking through this forum the past week while coming to a final decision on what direction to go.

sat radio is a little different from sat tv.I have xm in the house and my ant. for it is on the kitchen counter and I get great reception, But I would ask direct again about the off air ant.
I hate watchin people buy stuff that will not work for them.You could-and probably should call a number in the phone book for a local sat dealer and ask him questions about the off air.That would be your best bet cause "D" will allways say it will work just to get the sale. just my 2 cents

as far as the equipment you have listed you will really enjoy the dvr's. One more thing make sure they have a triple sat or "phase 3" dish on your work order or you will get no high def' and the installer will put up a basic dish knowing he'll be back for a dish upgrade so you can get the HD channels

Thanks! I can't live without DVR's and had two standard Tivos prior to making the switch. I don't even know how to watch TV without a DVR anymore.

I did ask the question when ordering the equipment about the antenna and was told that if it didn't work for me, there would be no problem getting a credit. True statement or wanting to get me on the sale without thinking it through?

I have run into a "D" CSR that will do this for you. If they dont ask for thier name extension and employee ID so you can tie them back to the workorder. I would ask for this info every time I talk to direct.Its kinda hard for them to lie if you have all thier info. Best of luck on your install!!

I'm sure that you can count on ANYTHING the sales person told you over the phone. Not sure if you are interested in a warranty but if you send $200 to my PO Box I'll warranty everything you own for life, I promise.

My bases are covered with all of the CSR's information, but that doesn't mean I want to go through the hassle of going after her if she doesn't follow through with the information orginally given me.

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

You're in familar country for satellite. Scott Greczkowski is also from CT, Hartford I believe.

Sorry for another question, but I was just told if that can't get a signal strength of at least 70 or higher, they won't do the install. Am I screwed with my picture if the strength is that low?

no but we do have to maintain quality in our work (some of us) and I personally would not put it in if thats all i could get (70).
To me that would mean you have some kinda tree issue. During a bad storm I can watch my signal meter (there built in -in the menu) go down in the 50's and and my picture is still crystal. You see thats the problem with satellite tv--its all digital. get a 10' long fence pole 1 5/8 od.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts