South Florida CW in...Cincinnati?

mecro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
Cleveland, OH
I just came home from college (Go Boilers!) and by now, Cincinnati has undergone its CW changeovers. Our WB affiliate, WSTR 64, changed to MyTV and is carried on DISH. We have no must-carry CW affiliate, but I noticed on my 625 that I have channel 254, which appears as "South Florida CW"....Is this right? I don't pay for superstations or anything, so I don't understand why i'm getting South Florida CW in Cincinnati. Any ideas?? Thanks!

that is correct

When there was WB & UPN, areas that didnt have a WB or UPN in their market (or if it was cable only) got either WB from Miami (East/Central time zone) or San Diego (Mountain/West).

When they merged to become CW, some people lost the channel due to a channel in the market getting CW. They changed who can get the CW but added a couple different channels.

my market (Duluth, MN) had WB as cable only so I got WB Miami. Then when CW started, our CBS added it to its digital signal but I still get the WB but now they changed it to WPIX (CW New York). Some people get KTLA as their CW now.

See note below from www.dishchannelchart.com

Last edited:
I live in Cincinnati as well, my Dish service was installed and activated November 1st. I had remembered reading a post somewhere, that I should get the Miami CW on 254, but it does not show in my guide. I'm not too concerned as I can pick up both Cincinnati and Dayton CW via OTA. However, it would be nice to get a sat feed, so I'm not wasting the OTA tuner if the wife is recording something that isn't in HD anyway.

Should I even bother contacting Dish about not receiving this channel, with everything going on with distant networks? Again, it's not a neccessity, but would be nice to have. And since atleast one person in the Cincinnati DMA is getting it, I guess I should be, too.

(BTW, first post here.. been reading this forum for quite a while, great site!)

do you subscribe to Cincy locals? If so you should be getting it. TNGTony (who is also in Cincy) has WB Miami too

I do indeed subscribe to Cincinnati locals -- use it for guide info, and for additional recording of local networks. I'll give E* a call and see what's up.

Thanks!

EDIT: Hmm, just got off the phone. The CSR that I spoke to says that based on my address I'm not qualified to recieve the channel. Seems very strange. He did say that I would qualify for a superstation, for an additional fee of course. I'm not that inconvenienced by not having the channel. definately not enough to pay for the channel. Maybe I should call back and see if a different CSR has something else to say.

Last edited:
Yup! It just popped up on my guide the day CW launched.

What I have heard, but not been able to confirm is that since about mid October, no new subscribers are getting CW from any of the 4 channels (251, 252, 254 or 255). There is one subscriber in Louisville that started a new service for a relative not too long ago and cannot get the same CW for his relative as he has for himself.

There is a big to-do about this one because of the WB-CW change-over. Dish says that the channels are available under the same contract as the WB was, but the CW says they are not. So... we have yet another dispute for the courts.

See ya
Tony

That's bizarre... well, thanks for clearing things up guys! I'll consider myself fortunate that I have the station!

I'm assuming that the reason someone came up with the idea to offer the San Diego/Miami stations, rather than the FCC-designated Superstations, was to capitalize on Tribune's more lucrative syndication lineups in markets lacking a FOX O&O.

So what exactly are these new "qualifications" to receive Superstations, which seem to only apply to WWOR and WSBK? Has Rupert imposed some sort of tariffs for MyTV, even if D* doesn't carry it?

If I'm not mistaken, on 9/11, DiSH was the only distributor in the world of WWOR's signal.

If distants go away, I'll sure be disappointed if Charlie doesn't offer us a KRON/KCAL/KTVK/WJXT package in the interim. Hmm, and strangely enough, I see they have retrans. consent for KUSI as well. I'm basically just kidding around here, if anyone gets it... ;)

So what exactly are these new "qualifications" to receive Superstations, which seem to only apply to WWOR and WSBK? Has Rupert imposed some sort of tariffs for MyTV, even if D* doesn't carry it?
same rules as the old (when they were CW or My)....go to the locals page on Dish's site and put in your address. Most people wualify for all 5 of the Supers

What I have heard, but not been able to confirm is that since about mid October, no new subscribers are getting CW from any of the 4 channels (251, 252, 254 or 255). There is one subscriber in Louisville that started a new service for a relative not too long ago and cannot get the same CW for his relative as he has for himself.

Tony
Louisville has its own CW there (WBKI 34) so I didnt think they could get the "distant" CW station...unless you meant the 2nd account was in the Cinci DMA

I had an e-mail exchange with a subscriber down there where he INSISTS he is getting KTLA on channel 251 (which was confirmed by a few other sounces) and before the San Diego WB on the same channel. But now the only way to get KTLA is to subscribe to the super station 232 for $1.50

See ya
Tony

same rules as the old (when they were CW or My)....go to the locals page on Dish's site and put in your address. Most people wualify for all 5 of the Supers

Rather, what is the basis for who does or does not qualify? It had been that all 5 had FCC clearance for anyone to receive, and as far as I know, that's still the case for at least the Tribune ones. Have WWOR and WSBK lost their status somehow? I do remember hearing that WWOR's C-Band feed was discontinued a few years back, despite having cable coverage over much of the east coast as of the 1990s.

The only way you don't qualify (using the old theory with WB & UPN ) was if you had a local WB or UPN and they invoked their "syndex" rule which would have blacked out all same programming. In those cases, they just didnt sell those stations

I havent checked the new way but it probably is still the same

The only way you don't qualify (using the old theory with WB & UPN ) was if you had a local WB or UPN and they invoked their "syndex" rule which would have blacked out all same programming. In those cases, they just didnt sell those stations

In that case, why would anyplace (L.A. County, for example) disqualify for WSBK? Does it apply to non-network syndicated programming as well, or have they not updated the database since WSBK went indy?

Also, I had thought that Superstations were exempt from syndex blackouts, which is pretty much what makes them a Superstation. Have the rules changed in recent years, or is it done voluntarily if the cable/satellite service wants to stay on the good side of the local?

SyndEx stands for Syndicated Exclusivity. If a station buys a syndicated program like Oprah or Wheel of Fortune and has exclusive rights to it, they can request that super stations with the same programming be blacked out when those programs are airing. Dish Network tries to "buy off" the stations requesting SyndEx protection. When Dish fails, they just black out the entire channel.

Other than the two hours of UPN programming 5 days a week no longer available to WSBK, theirs program schedule remains virtually untouched.

See ya
Tony

Rather, what is the basis for who does or does not qualify? It had been that all 5 had FCC clearance for anyone to receive, and as far as I know, that's still the case for at least the Tribune ones. Have WWOR and WSBK lost their status somehow? I do remember hearing that WWOR's C-Band feed was discontinued a few years back, despite having cable coverage over much of the east coast as of the 1990s.
WWOR-TV feed on C-band still exists as an encrypted DVB feed on AMC 3.

When I had cable in Duluth, we had a lot of syndex blackouts on KMSP 9 (this was when they were UPN back in the day). Alot of the syndicated programming was purchased by the other stations in Duluth (KMSP was imported from Minneapolis) so most of the day we would see on Channel 9
"Due to FCC regulations, the following program is blacked out. Please see other channels for this program"

What sucked is the shows that Channel 9 had during the day, the other netwroks in Duluth would show them late night (after 1AM)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)