South Florida Voom Zone!!!

I just received an email from Comcast informing me that HDTV is now available in my area....I said wow, here's an option!
I called and it turns out not to be available in my area yet.
Thes CSR was super nice and asked me if I knew that Comcast was bidding for Adelphia, which is whom service my area. I told him I knew of the bid already...
He said that when Comcast gets Adelphia they will service my area with HD probably in ON YEAR!!!
Major Bummer...This sucks...
I have no clue yet but I'll my thinking is if the Voom equipment stays (meaning they don't want them back or pick them up) and it still works for OTA I'll stick with that
and my Adelphia standard/horrible cable until I decide.

If D* or E* offer us something, well I'll consider them earlier...

HD providers in the Kendall Area

I called last night about Adelphia's "HD Tier".

Needless to say, it sucked!

It really only has a few channels, only includes 3 local Digital TV stations, the majority are only available at a premium. This is horrible.

BTW - my neighbor has Adelphia Standard Cable and says their service sucks.

Below is Adelphia's HD offering. If anyone else knows about other alternatives for HD in Kendall or S. Dade (other than E* or D*) , please let us know.

Thanks

702 WFOR HD WFOR High Definition Broadcast HD (High Definition)
703 WSVN HD WSVN FOX (High Definition) Broadcast HD (High Definition)
704 WTVJ HD WTVJ HD Broadcast HD (High Definition)
761 HD NET HD NET Broadcast HD (High Definition)
762 HDN MOVIES HD NET MOVIES Broadcast HD (High Definition)
765 ESPN HD ESPN High Definition HD PLUS TIER
766 DISC HD Discovery High Definition HD PLUS TIER

If you sub to their premium channels you also get:

750 HD HBO High Definition HBO HBO HD (High Definition)
751 HD SHOWTIME High Definition Showtime Showtime HD (High Definition)
752 HD STARZ Starz High Definition Starz HD (High Definition)

Pay Per View:

763 INHD1 iNDemand HD HD PLUS TIER
764 INHD2 iNDemand HD 2 HD PLUS TIER

funk101
Did you get a quote for service?
Your post prompted me to call Adelphia which a few months ago said NO HD in my area, now does and it's the same lineup you posted.
I got a quote for Ultimate Pack $51.40 plus HD Tier $5.00 more...

I don't know about the PQ on their digital cable though...
I do have Adelphia Standard cable and it is really not too good.

BTW...Adelphia is in BANKRUPCY right now...so who knows what will happen!

I'm in West Kendall, too, and was thinking that perhaps Adelphia was the best option.

Reviews of Dish say the quality is horrible, but DirecTV requires a $1000 HD DVR... so it only really leaves Adelphia by default.

I'm going to wait until Voom goes dark before doing anything, in the hope that something rises from the ashes. But I would appreciate hearing of your Adelphia experience if you get it.

Voom is going to be a great loss :(

Here is my decision....When Voom goes dark I will do nothing.Since my HOA pays for my Adelphia cable I will just stay with that until something comes along.....In my opinion Dish and Direct HD content just won't do it so here I come Netflix.....Remember the saying....You really don't know what you had till it's gone(Voom)....Oh the thought of SD signals on my TV is making me nautious.

truqui said:
funk101
Did you get a quote for service?
Your post prompted me to call Adelphia which a few months ago said NO HD in my area, now does and it's the same lineup you posted.
I got a quote for Ultimate Pack $51.40 plus HD Tier $5.00 more...

I don't know about the PQ on their digital cable though...
I do have Adelphia Standard cable and it is really not too good.

BTW...Adelphia is in BANKRUPCY right now...so who knows what will happen!

Yeah. I think it was a total of $72 plus ta:mad:es) for two stb's plus the $5 HD package. It seems high especially since we got Voom at such a bargain.

I think Comcast was trying to acquire Adelphia, but from what I read we shouldn't expect much either way.

I'll keep you posted

Stuart-B said:
I'm going to wait until Voom goes dark before doing anything, in the hope that something rises from the ashes. But I would appreciate hearing of your Adelphia experience if you get it.

I'll be doing the same. I'll post an update on this thread when/if we get Adelphia.

GaryZ06 said:
Here is my decision....When Voom goes dark I will do nothing.Since my HOA pays for my Adelphia cable I will just stay with that until something comes along.....

Same here. I get Aldephia/Telemedia through my HOA. I'll just connect the OTA, if Voom lets us keep it, to my old STB and watch the locals in HD and crappy cable from Aldephia/Telemedia.

Geeeez we are all in the same predicament!

My TV doesn't have an integrated HD tuner so I guess that if Voom disables the STB for OTA I'm screwed!

Has anyone seen Adelphia DIGITAL Cable HD? Any idea of the PQ of local HD's through cable vs. OTA? The best PQ I get right now is on the OTA...yeah most of Voom 21 are really good PQ wise but OTA is amazing.

$$$ wise, the Adelphia Ultimate package would put me at around the same as I have now with Voom but I would be getting more premiums plus PPV's. I have the Voom package plus HBO, renting the STB all at $72 including taxes.

Adelphia Ultimate with HD would put me at $56.40 plus taxes and if I add the spanish tier (which my wife would love) it's $9.95 more.

I ask again...has anyone seen the PQ? Any friends that have it that can tell you?

I live west of the Metro Zoo....and it's Adelphia...they offerred me the total package(whatever it's called) including their HD package, 1 hd dvr and 1 digital box for a total of $84 something with tax a month. The ONLY catch was when they install, I either pay the installer $102(which I assume includes an installation fee) WITHOUT a contract commitment OR not dish out a thing, BUT must commit to a one year contract. Go figure....

Comcast HD/DVR in Kendall

funk101 said:
I called last night about Adelphia's "HD Tier".

Needless to say, it sucked!

It really only has a few channels, only includes 3 local Digital TV stations, the majority are only available at a premium. This is horrible.

BTW - my neighbor has Adelphia Standard Cable and says their service sucks.

Below is Adelphia's HD offering. If anyone else knows about other alternatives for HD in Kendall or S. Dade (other than E* or D*) , please let us know.

Thanks

702 WFOR HD WFOR High Definition Broadcast HD (High Definition)
703 WSVN HD WSVN FOX (High Definition) Broadcast HD (High Definition)
704 WTVJ HD WTVJ HD Broadcast HD (High Definition)
761 HD NET HD NET Broadcast HD (High Definition)
762 HDN MOVIES HD NET MOVIES Broadcast HD (High Definition)
765 ESPN HD ESPN High Definition HD PLUS TIER
766 DISC HD Discovery High Definition HD PLUS TIER

If you sub to their premium channels you also get:

750 HD HBO High Definition HBO HBO HD (High Definition)
751 HD SHOWTIME High Definition Showtime Showtime HD (High Definition)
752 HD STARZ Starz High Definition Starz HD (High Definition)

Pay Per View:

763 INHD1 iNDemand HD HD PLUS TIER
764 INHD2 iNDemand HD 2 HD PLUS TIER

VFunk101,
All this seems like a very unlikely coincidence to me. Voom announced their shutdown 5 days after I got an e-mail from Comcast telling me that HDTV was available in my area(Kendall). As a happy Voom customer, I junked the e-mail only to find out this Monday that Voom was going under. Anyways, I called yesterday to set up Comcast HD/DVR service on the 30th. They said that "allegedly" since I was a previous Comcast customer that they would hook me up for no charge except for the first months service payable to the installer. They are also giving me the premium package for the first 3 months for roughly $51.00 a month. After that, if I go to basic service, it will be about $63.00. I just hope the picture quality is as good as Voom was, but I doubt it. We'll see, I guess. Here is the HD channel lineup from Comcast's web site:

772 Discovery HDTV
773 ESPN HDTV
774 In Demand 1-HD
775 In Demand 2-HD
776 Cinemax HDTV
777 Starz!-HDTV
778 Showtime East (HDTV)
779 HBO East (HDTV)
780 WPLG (ABC) HDTV
781 WTVJ (NBC) HDTV
782 WFOR (CBS) HDTV
783 WSVN (FOX) HDTV
790 WPBT (PBS) HDTV

salsadancer7 said:
wait a sec....I am considered Kendall and supposedly Comcast is not available to me....

This doesn't surprise me...Comcast is available about 10 blocks from my house but not to me until they buy Adelphia (if they win the bid)

Comcast HD/DVR in Kendall

I guess it's wait and see for me as well. I will keep an eye out for Comcast in my area. They have a few more locals which is better than the Adelphia deal.

I also called Comcast the same night I called Adelphia and I wasn't in their service area.

I'll just keep waiting. Hopefully I can get a deal on a V* STB then I don't have to get HD cable.

I have only had V* for 3 months. I feel like I test-drove the Bentley but ended up with a Gremlin! :mad:

funk101 said:
I have only had V* for 3 months. I feel like I test-drove the Bentley but ended up with a Gremlin! :mad:
Funny...!!!
I have had Voom for over a year now and honestly it feels more like I had a "vintage" Bentley
which got better as time went by...until someone stole it!!!

truqui said:
Funny...!!!
I have had Voom for over a year now and honestly it feels more like I had a "vintage" Bentley
which got better as time went by...until someone stole it!!!

That is exactly how I feel. Man, this is so depressing!

truqui,

Where did you get the info on Adelphia Ultimate with HD? Adelphia's website doesn't list our area and neither does Telemedia's site. Don't know where to look.

Vlad D said:
That is exactly how I feel. Man, this is so depressing!

truqui,

Where did you get the info on Adelphia Ultimate with HD? Adelphia's website doesn't list our area and neither does Telemedia's site. Don't know where to look.

Yeah Vlad...as I didn't see anything on either website I called Adelphia's
800 # and she surprised me with that info.
I sent an email to Adelphia just to make sure that this CSR wasn't mistaken but I got this:

Dear Harold,
Thank you for contacting Adelphia. The services and availability may vary based on Package Selection and promotions that may be available in your area. We have found the most efficient method of providing you with pricing is for you to speak to a sales representative who will explain all packages and assist you in customizing a service plan that best fits your needs.
Please contact our sales department at 1-888-683-1000. Representatives are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
Thank you
Customer Support

I have been posting in the WPB area on th AVS forum to find out about Adelphia HD cable PQ and service. Not many replies yet but there is good info there. WPB has many Adelphia and Comcast subs.

I guess I will have to make up my mind soon...15 days until
Voom Doom...what a bummer!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts