South Florida Voom Zone!!!

my taxes also doubled and when i called they said it was an error and
i was given a credit to my account. this happened twice and the 3rd
billing cycle showed the applied credits but still double charged the
tax rate.

i called and demanded a billing supervisor and he says voom had been
previously undercharging local tax rates and was getting fined by local
and state tax agencies so they implemented a new tax program they
got from the government and now it IS charging the correct amount.

i told him to send me a break down of the various city and state taxes
i am being charged. ill have to wait and see.

P....

New Antenna

Well it took long enough, but everything now works! A few weeks ago I posted about loss of signal from the dish, and lack of CBS in West Palm Beach. Well everything works well now. I set up an appoinment to have a service tech come out and fix everything, and when the appointment came around a week later, the tech never showed. That didn't sit so well. I called to setup a new appointment and ask if they can bring an upgraded antenna to try and see if that will get me CBS and stop the bad reception of the OTA channels I got, but Voom said no.
I setup the new appointment and the tech came and fixed my satellite dish and cleared up all my problems, and Voom even helped me get Sunshine Network which they weren't giving me, and the tech approved the new antenna after trying to re-aim it (the installer didn't have it right at all) but it didn't do anything. So it took another week and a half, but the tech came again and put in the new upgraded antenna...and it cleared everything up. Now I get great reception, and CBS, so I have all my locals including UPN, PAX, PBS, and even a spanish channel. The antenna is a tad bit wider, but almost identical and didn't cost a thing except for some patience.
Thanks for the advice. I'm thankful everything worked out. I was finally able to drop that ridiculous Adelphia bill.

Great

Patience Pays off in Florida! I'm glad to hear it worked out for you. You should also be getting Fox Sports Fl as well as Sunshine Network

Welcome to the HD Crew!!

truqui said:
Ok...Here we are in sunny sofla with our Voom HD!!!
I guess this is where we'll meet for everything VOOM and bikinis :rolleyes:

I been a Voomer since 3/15 and loving it more everyday! It was a smooth install from a guy in Palm Beach but unfortunately did everything wrong (but I was able to see great SAT and OTA. Anyway someone who really knew his stuff came out yesterday, fixed it all and now it's just right!!! I have all my locals (14) and great Sat signal numbers...I'm happy!
Harold

Harold , great news i need help with the OTA ,i cant get only 3 chanels,
what antena are u using (model number) thanks in advance e-mail rruben@aol.com
Ruben senderey

Thinking about VOOM.

Hey guys, new member here. Just wanted to ask a quick question. I am thinking strongly about getting VOOM, primarily because I'm tired of cable and secondly because Brandsmart is offering a $300 instant rebate on the HDTV that I like if I commit to VOOM for 6 months. My question is this: What is up with the OTA broadcast of local stations? I was in the store today poking around and the HD broadcast of WSVN looked "stretched". What's up with that? I love the HD channels, but the OTA channels that came in all looked wierd? What can I expect?

Nathan in Miami. :confused: :confused:

RUBEN SENDEREY said:
Harold , great news i need help with the OTA ,i cant get only 3 chanels,
what antena are u using (model number) thanks in advance e-mail rruben@aol.com
Ruben senderey

Ruben:
I'm using the OTA supplied by Voom I believe it's a Channel Master Stealth.
I recieve 2.1,2.2, 2.3, 2.4 and 2.5 (all PBS), 4.1 (CBS4), 5.1(NBC Palm Beach), 6.1 (NBC6), 6.2 NBC6 weather), 7.1 (FOX7), 7.2 (Fox 7 Weather, 10.1 (ABC10), 17.1 (LRN), 23.1 (Univision23), 33.1, 34.1, 51.1, 69.1 and some more I can't remember right now. (i'm not at home yet)

You should be able to pick up more...where are you located?
Good luck and let me know how it goes with your antenna tweaking...
Harold

The Current Voom News - Rainbow 1 Sold to Dish

It is a very sad day for all Voomers. It will be interesting to see what will happen to us Voomers with the announcement that Rainbow 1 is being sold to Dish.

Well Dolan Sr. pull a rabbit out of his hat and keep Voom afloat? If we have no Voom, where do we go now?

In my area, COmcast does not have HD, so it comes down to Dish or DirecTV.

Enjoy your Voom as much as possible since we are unsure what will happen over the next few days. :no

Yep...I nearly fell off my chair when I read the news in the main forum!!!
Anyone have any ideas of what to do?
I don't have any cable provider with HD available...anyone have any opinion on D* and/or Dish?

I found that Comcast does have HD and HD DVR's (dual tuners) in my area now. They just completed the fiber optic conversion of cable this December.

The Comcast web site told me that HD was not available, so I called and double checked with the local office. I saw a posting in this forum about the new Comcast HD DVR, and I called in to ask when it would be available. I was surprised to learn that I could get it now.

I am still keeping Voom until the signal is turned off. I love Voom and will miss the service.

In regards to D* or E*, the research it lead me to stay away from spending more money due to the Mpeg 4 upgrades. I have D* now, and two SD Tivo's. I could not pass up the chance to try Comcast HD Dvr's for no equipment or install fees. Only a monthly lease. The $1,000 Tivo HD may be obsolete after they go to MPEG4.

I will post a review of the box and PQ in the forum. This is the thread where I learned about the COmcast offering, and where I will post a review:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=41134

I have compared D* to E* a lot since I have D* and no others with E*, If I can be of any help, let me know. I have learned a lot over the last few days thanks to posts on this forum.

Thanks skakusha...good info!
I just called Comcast and it's not an option for me...they don't service my area.
I have a crappy cable service from Telemedia for which I only have basic cable included in my HOA fees...it is really bad PQ though. Before Voom I had their expanded service with a Motorola DIgital box but no HD or DVR. I called them about a year ago and was told they had no plans for those until a few years...the Voom came into my life!!!

Geez, I really hope we get a surprise and they stick around in some form...

Anyway from your research on comparing between D* and E* which one is closest to Voom?

Thanks in advance...

Truqui,

You must be down the street from me. I use to have Telemedia, and my friends down the street are stuck with them as well. You should call them and see what they say. I called Comcast over the summer and they told me they had no plans for HD in my area. Now they are even adding Video On Demand, within the next few months. I have heard many mixed reviews of the Comcast HD DVR, but no one from our area with fiber cable has reviewed it yet.

In case the Comcast HD cable and DVR do not work well, then I will go OTA until the Mpeg 4 conversion is settled. I do not want to pay for a Dish or Directv box that will need to be replaced. Also, I do not want to get locked in to a commitment until I see the HD offerings from D* and E* increased and improved upon. I just finished my commitment with D* this month. Everytime you get a receiver from them you are tied down for another year.

If I had to pick one based on HD PQ, I would say Dish based on my comparisons, plus postings in this forum and others. Another big advantage is that they have a no commitment deal where I think you can get basic HD receivers which should help avoid any losses in equipment purchases. I would stay away from the HD DVR based on everything I have read in regards to technical and pricing issues. There is an upfront cost associated with the HD DVR, and a $250 upfront cost on the lease deal. Please checjk out teh Dish Forum on this site for more information.

It also depends on what is more important to you. PQ or programming. For example, Directv has the NFL package (somes games in HD) and Universal HD, but no TNT HD. Dish has TNT HD, but not Universal HD. Aside from those mentioned, the remaining HD programming is the same. There are some slight differences in SD packages, but for the football package is the biggest difference.

There seem to be a lot of changes in the entertainment industry with new compression technologies, whole home solutions, and DVR competition. I am going to be conservative and see how it all plays out and then choose the best provider of HD accordingly. I want great PQ, but more programming as well. From statements on the corporate sites and CES announcements it seems that we will see a lot of changes by this summer.

I hope that none of this will be an issue, and Voom will stay. Only time will tell.

Ed

Thanks again for the thorough info...
LOL yeah maybe we're neighbors, I'm in Sunset Lakes, West Miramar.
If it's light out for Voom, which would be a bummer for me (Fingers crossed) I guess maybe I will do the same...wait and see!
I have had my heart set on the DVR...that's why I haven't jumped on a TIVO yet but I am desperate to get a recording/time shifting solution. Will I be able to use a TIVO regardless of what my provider is?

LOL! I am in Chapel Trail in Pembroke Pines, so we are practically neighbors.

You can buy a stand alone Tivo and use it with Voom, or any other provider. They even have a Tivo with a DVD recorder if you need to archive. I use to have one, but sold it since I bought a new computer that can do the same.

The Tivo will record the digital OTA channels, but not provide a guide. If a guide is a must, you can plug in your basic cable for those channels and just connect Voom, D*, or E* to it as well. Tivo service is $12 a month, I think. My D* Tivo's do not have a fee since i have had them for so long. A stand alone Tivo is one turner, and you can pick it up for around $99 after rebates.

truqui said:
Thanks skakusha...good info!
I just called Comcast and it's not an option for me...they don't service my area.
I have a crappy cable service from Telemedia for which I only have basic cable included in my HOA fees...

I am in the exact same situation as you....If Voom goes then I am stuck with Telemedia.....still have their basic cable due to HOA fees......Jeez my TV is going to suffer more than me.. :eek:

GaryZ06 said:
I am in the exact same situation as you....If Voom goes then I am stuck with Telemedia.....still have their basic cable due to HOA fees......Jeez my TV is going to suffer more than me.. :eek:

Yeah Gary...I feel your pain...!!!
I'll have to get an OTA tuner if I just keep my basic cable...I have the antenna for free already (I guess...!!!)

skakusha said:
LOL! I am in Chapel Trail in Pembroke Pines, so we are practically neighbors.

You can buy a stand alone Tivo and use it with Voom, or any other provider. They even have a Tivo with a DVD recorder if you need to archive. I use to have one, but sold it since I bought a new computer that can do the same.

The Tivo will record the digital OTA channels, but not provide a guide. If a guide is a must, you can plug in your basic cable for those channels and just connect Voom, D*, or E* to it as well. Tivo service is $12 a month, I think. My D* Tivo's do not have a fee since i have had them for so long. A stand alone Tivo is one turner, and you can pick it up for around $99 after rebates.

Hey "practically neighbor"...I have a few questions for you.
I'm not very familiar with DVR technology so bare with me, OK?
Let me give you an example:I want to be able to record let's say the show Medium on NBC at 10PM but be watching CSI:Miami on CBS. Barring an HDDVR, I would like to record and watch at the best PQ I can. What would you say I need?
Also isn't the Program Guide info needed to set a recording?

Don't be too cruel on me OK?
Thanks

ReplayTV gives you better PQ since it outputs in 480p, but you have to be computer savvy if you want it to work with Voom. Replay does not support Voom at this time, and requires some software hacks. Tivo supports more services than anyone else, and the most user friendly for the family.

I still prefer Tivo and its features. My Replay is sitting in a closet, and I will be selling it on eBay soon. If you want better PQ on a Tivo, then get one with a built in DVD recorder. Those will get you 480P. They cost more though, so please keep that in mind. The Tivo's with a burner also include basic programming information for free, but if you want to use Tivo features you still need to pay a fee. In other words you can program it like a VCR. The Tivo features are awesome and well worth the money.

To get good PQ, it really depends on your source. I have burned concerts on Rave, from Voom, and burned DVD's that look awesome. Also my DVD player upconverts to 480P which helps.

Please keep in mind the stand alone Tivo's and ReplayTv's are all one tuner. So you need two sources to watch a show while recording. If you have basic cable, you are fine because you can split the feed. If you use Voom and basic cable you are okay as well.

This is why I have DirecTV Tivo's. They are dual tuner receivers. You do need a satellite cable per tuner, but it gives me more recording flexibility. (More holes and more cables though) I do not like the PQ on D* though. D* has these for $49, with a 1 year commitment.

See the whole dilemma with choosing companies. They all have their pros and cons. I think Dish has an SD dual tuner that you can get on a lease with no commitment.

A Tivo with a DVD recorder is a good option if you want to archive. My friends use theirs to make Barney DVD's and they save a lot of money buying movies for the kids and themselves as well. Also, if you do not have a progressive DVD player, this model will give you that functionality as well. This is a good option since it can be used with any cable company or satellite service provider. The Mpeg4 conversion wont effect it either since the conversion is being done by another piece of hardware. This will give you 480P output on what you record and on the DVD's you watch. Remember, it is your source that will make the biggest difference on an SD recorder.

Sorry for the long post. :( I tend to be detailed in my responses, but wanted to give you enough to make an informed decision.

Hi guys. I haven't posted here in a while; haven't had much time since my wife and I just had a baby girl this past December.

Anyway, I'm totally bummed out about Voom's impending demise. I have the same problem as you guys since I also have crappy Telemedia (also included in HOA fees, I live in Silver Shores in West Miramar). So it looks like D* or E* for me. I used to have D* and I still have my old HD STB and dish so I'll probably just switch back to them. Would love to have an HD DVR but I also don't fell like shelling out a $1000 for something that will have to be replaced. I remember reading that Adelphia was going to buy out Telemedia. Anyone know when that is going to happen; if it does maybe they'll offer HD soon.

Skakusha, you mentioned that TiVo works with Voom. I also recently bought a standalone TiVo which I have hooked up to my cable. How do I get it to work with Voom? Does TiVo have the channel line-up for Voom or does it only work in manual record mode?

Comcast/Time Warner Joint Bid for Adelphia - Tivo Works with Voom

Vlad,

Telemedia is owned by Adelphia, and has begun taking over control of all Telemedia cable companies in South Florida. This process started in December. I could not find any press releases for the specific offices in our area. Adelphia has HD, but I am unsure if their DVR's are SD or HD. Their site is horrible. I would recommend calling them to make sure. From what I found out, they have CBS, NBC, HBO, Starz, HDnet, HDnet Movies, and INHD 1 & 2 in the Miramar/Pembroke Pines area.

Their local offering is a little weak, but if we get to keep the OTA antennas from Voom you should be ok. Also INHD 1 & 2 are great. I actually watch these channels more than the Voom originals. They have a better rating then HDNet, and offer great programming. Check out their site at:

www.inhd.com

By the way, On Monday, Adelphia agreed to take a joint bid from Comcast and Time Warner to buy out Adelphia. Adelphia has gone bankrupt and ripe for a takeover. They are currently accepting bids, and Comcast and Time Warner are the only ones stepping up. (Comcast owns shares of Time Warner.) Comcast would assume ownership of the offices based on operations in our region. Time Warner would take the regions next to their operating offices in other regions.

This means all of you Adelphia subs MAY come out ahead since they have licenses for HDNet and HDMovies, which Comcast does not have. Otherwise, you would get the same offering as Comcast subs, which is pretty strong and growing. Video On Demand is currently being tested, and we will have HD VOD soon. Sweet! :D Also, the cable companies are moving all their analog channels to digital which means we should, at a minimum, have comparable PQ to any satellite provider. When I post my review, I will provide further details on comparisons between cable, D*, and V*, as well as the HD DVR. By the way, the DVR's with the cable companies have lower fees than Tivo service.

The stand alone Tivo's do work with Voom. Please be advised that HD OTA locals will not load a guide, and none of the Tivo features will work with any of our Local HD channels. In order to utilize Tivo features with locals, you must connect cable or a non-HD OTA, as well as a Voom. In the Tivo setup, it will allow you to use inputs from both sources. Then in Tivo, you can choose which duplicated channel to record. For example, you could have TNT on cable and Voom. Things over at Tivo are pretty hectic right now. Last week their CEO and President resigned.

In regards to E* or D*, I would recommend that you minimize any expenses. I am waiting on the sidelines until the MPEG-4 issues are resolved. Eventually our D* equipment will be useless. In regards to your D* HD equipment, the plan is that you will be able to see the current HD line-up until the end of the year only, and any new HD channels added will not be visible via a none MPEG-4 box. The details are still a little fuzzy in regards to the conversion plan. My advice is to avoid any commitments, which you can do with cable and E*. I think you can get out of a D* commitment if you still use your old STB.

I still have my D* account active, but I am calling tomorrow to cancel. I currently have D*, V*, and Comcast, because I wanted to make sure I would be happy with cable and liked the ability to make comparisons. I will post anything I learn after my call to D*.

Once again, another lengthy reply. :eek:

I hope this helps. . .

Vlad D said:
Hi guys. I haven't posted here in a while; haven't had much time since my wife and I just had a baby girl this past December.

Congratulations on the new addition to the family!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts