South Florida Voom Zone!!!

Well...everything OK with Frances...all the way until I lost power!

I was going to move my OTA a bit to the North to get Palm Beach Stations...well Frances did it for me...je je je, now I get Palm Beach Stations as well.

Good to join the rest of the South FL Voomers. Have my install tomorrow and I hope it goes well. Can't wait to finally start putting my HDTV to some good use. Have had basic cable (not digital) this whole time because I've been lazy. I'll probably be glued to the TV for weeks once Voom starts.

lizmara said:
Good to join the rest of the South FL Voomers. Have my install tomorrow and I hope it goes well. Can't wait to finally start putting my HDTV to some good use. Have had basic cable (not digital) this whole time because I've been lazy. I'll probably be glued to the TV for weeks once Voom starts.

Well...are you so glued that you haven't posted your new HD experience!!!
It is an awesome sight istn't it?

Welcome to the Voom Revolution!!!

voom is great!

I must confess....I got voom a few weeks ago and I haven't been back to this website to post my happiness. I've been glued to the tv and I haven't looked back. My friends are next in line to get Voom since I've made them jealous. Watching the MLB Playoffs & World Series & NFL on HD is unreal. Thanks Voom!!!!

Little help here. Just reviewed my paper statement for charges from 10/13 - 11/12 and my sales tax doubled. It is now 12.2% of my total bill. I called Voom to complain. Initially that tried to tell me they double-checked and that is correct for Florida. I told them they have to be nuts. 12.2% in Florida - it is to laugh. Supposedly, they will bump it up the line to figure out what is going on.

I live in Royal Palm. Has anyone else noticed a jump in their sales tax? If so, or if not, anyone care to share what percentage they are currently paying in sales tax?

Guess I helped myself. I'm rather shocked the tax could be this high for something with no governmental service provided. Anyway, from Myflorida gov site:

What is the Tax Rate?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In general, the tax includes a state rate of 6.8 percent plus a gross receipts tax rate of 2.37 percent, for a combined state communications services tax rate of 9.17 percent. Each local taxing jurisdiction may levy its own tax rate on communications services.

Direct-to-home satellite services are taxed at a total rate of 13.17 percent. Local tax does not apply to these satellite services.

While the state and gross receipts tax rates stay fairly constant, local rates can change frequently. A list of all the current and past local jurisdictional rates is available for download at Local Tax Rates. For a list of current rates only, download the Jurisdiction Rate Table. Both the state and local communications services taxes must be separately stated on a customer's bill or invoice.

Info in Tamarac?

Moving to Tamarac in a couple of weeks and have ordered Voom. Any problems, issues, concerns I should have about the service. Any hints regarding the installers?

Thanks, Can't wait to start vooming!

Someone HELP ME PLEASE!!!

hi fellow south florida HDTV fans!!!
I recently moved from nyc to south florida...i was given a voom dish and reciever from a friend (active until the end of the month on his account!!!) I cannot technically install the dish on the roof of my condo, because it recently became against the rules (damn these condo boards and their rules). I picked the lock to the roof, and have tried unsuccessfully for the past 2 nights to install the dish. I just can't seem to get a signal. I spoke to my friend who assured me that that the dish and reciever were working fine a few days ago, and he has not cancelled his service yet. I really really miss hdtv (i have a optoma ezpro 735 hd projector) and would really appreciate it if someone could help me out with this. I know that it needs a se los at 61.5. how do i figure out where that is and position the dish? thanks in advance
monk

Coming On Monday

Well the Installers say they are going to arrive on Monday Morning to get VOOM installed. I am switching from DishNetwork so I will let you know how it goes.

Well The Installer Arrived and installed my 2 Boxes. So far I am NOT happy.
The Signal strength is Great (on both SAT and Regual channels) and it the Channel scan said I had 19 Channels However alot don't seem to work. Like WSVN 7. Also If I change the channed to Animania I get a black screen and The Box Locks up. If I can't get these issues resolved in couple of days I'm probably going to re hook up my Dish network Gear and have them Pick this stuff up.

Well They are coming to Fix it.

Not that anyone is looking at this Thread But......
They are Sending an installer from ProSat to look into my OTA issues. I went home during lunch and in a matter of Sheer Frustration A went out on the ladder and turned the Winegard Sensar II antenna a Tad to the North. When I went back in I was able to get WFOR! and I didn't lose any of the other Channels!
All I need is 7 10 and 33. I think the Problem is my Neighbors House though. the OTA antenna is pointed right into his roof. Due to the angle the Dish is pointing at the Antenna is also pointing slightly Downward. I'm sure that can't help. Anyways hopefully I can convince the tech to move the OTA -A to the Peak of my Roof which will definatly clear my Neighbors Roof.

Program Guide problems fixed. (CSR flashed my unit and it appeared) Also the locking up on the animation channel is also Fixed.

Threv...glad to see your problems solved and that you are enjoying your VOom!!!
I have to say I haven't been on the forum for awhile...keeping busy with work and the quickly approaching Hoilidays...

Hope all is well with all SoFla Voomers...!!!

Thanks

truqui said:
Threv...glad to see your problems solved and that you are enjoying your VOom!!!
I have to say I haven't been on the forum for awhile...keeping busy with work and the quickly approaching Hoilidays...

Hope all is well with all SoFla Voomers...!!!

thanks! All is Going well And the Voom Service is Working Great!

Happy Holidays!

New Voom in WPB

This looks like a place with some nice friendly South Floridians who have a lot of knowledge to share. So far this is working out well for what actually works. My dish signal strength fluctuates between 64 and 80, whenever it goes down low I lose ESPNHD. So I'm having someone come back out and try to readjust it. It's strange because it was getting a 97 when it was installed with overcast.
I live in Palm Beach Gardens and get only a few working locals (hey, the voom commercial came on while i was typing this :rolleyes: ). I get three of the main four (NBC5, ABC25, FOX29) but I don't get CBS12. From what I understand, CBS is pointed 206 degrees from my house and not far away from NBC which is 205 degrees from my house and I get. So has CBS stopped transmitting Digital for awhile? Repairs maybe? I tried to get a hold of them, but they haven't gotten back to me. ABC is in the opposite direction and I get that the best. Maybe the antenna upgrade will do it. I need CBS to get the Dolphins, College Hoops, SEC Football, and CSI. I noticed they are the only local for me that transmit in VHF instead of UHF...but I can't immagine that would matter if some of you get (or got) it.
Just so I don't try to milk the forum without giving back...this may not be news to you, but I should share anyway. Ever notice that at least on NBC Channel 5-1, the Tonight Show has an audio sync issue? I got a hold of the engineer who promises they're working on it. I even notice sometime they drop into SD even when they are scehduled to broadcast in HD.

Problem in Florida

Hey Joe!
I had a similar issue with the SAT signal going down shortly after after the initial install. You really need to be getting 95 if your Box has the Latest Firmware.
You'll need to call Customer service (Which it looks like you have :D ) to get a Tech out there a reposition your dish and check OTA Reception. More than likely you will need to have them upgrade you to the Channel Master Omni-directional antenna. Unfortunately this will mean an extra visit from the installer:
1. First service call to readjust your Dish and check your OTA, At this time your Tech will determine if you need the Antenna upgrade MAKE SURE YOU ASK ABOUT IT! (no way to do it before hand I tried but the tech has to approve the new gear)
2. Second service call would be to install the new OTA Antenna.

Note: You might get better OTA reception by repositioning the OTA antenna to a higher spot. That fixed my OTA issues. Make sure you have the Tech do that if you think you have interference from other structures. Newer houses in Florida tend to have more metal in the roofs due to Hurricane Codes and all that metal plays havoc with reception, what looks like Ghosting on an analog signal will cause Digital droput or total lack of signal with the digital brodcasts.

The little boom arm that hangs off the Dish just didn't do it for me so they repositioned the OTA Antenna to the Peak of my roof. (However, all my locals are within 2 degrees of each other so this may not work for you.) Also it may be possible that the OTA Boom arm might be (indirectly) whats causing your Sat Signal to go down. Since it hangs off the Back of your Dish it may be acting as a counterweight that assists in pulling your Dish Backward during Windy conditions. I have not hade any signal degradation problems since they got Rid of it. :D

furiousmonk said:
I cannot technically install the dish on the roof of my condo, because it recently became against the rules (damn these condo boards and their rules).

are you in Miami? Also, did they ever allow dishes? Most condos in this area are starting to allow dishes nowadays. If you ask me, it actually helps the property value. It seems like it would be easier to sell a place if they allowed satellite instead of forcing everyone to watch cable. If my condo board ever banned satellite I don't know what I would do. My cable company is Adelphia, quite possibly the worst cable company in the USA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts