South Florida Voom Zone!!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
i'll try in in 1080i for a few days then in Native and see
which looks better for the most part.

has anyone using the DVI cable upgraded to a better
cable like "Monster Cables" ? i have monster S-Video
and Component cables and there is a difference
from cheap stuff.

P....

Hi Guys (and any Girls). Great to see South Florida Voom enthusiasts united!
Just jumped on board Monday evening after close to a 5 hour install. The installer was very good and spent over an hour in my attic fishing a cable, so kudos to Edson from Hi-Tech. Had the same issues as others have mentioned with the old code shipped with the Moto box, but happy to say I woke up to the lastest revision this morning and the PQ is awesome this evening.

I just ordered the $1 PPV fight for Saturday night, if you dont already know about it, check out voom.com for details.

BTW, WSVN 7 just launched their HD today, but I have been unable to get the sub channels. Does anyone know how to accomplish this?

Yeah, my download came last night also. Latest version ends in .68.

I'm not the greatest expert but I'll take a shot at some of the above questions:

As for the DVI cable that comes with Voom, a lot of people much, much smarter than I have said it is just fine and to use it. If you are a believer in Monster, than I don't want to offend you, but if you pour through various forums, you will find that many people who have tested various cables contend that Monster is grossly overpriced and that there is no difference between them and other good cables that you can get far, far cheaper.

As for WSVN not showing up - it probably isn't in Voom's mapping. A manual scan feature is to be included in an upcoming software upgrade but I don't think there is a release date yet. Review the Voom forum here and you will find a lot of talk about Voom mapping. You need to provide certain info from the mapping info on your box to Sean and he will forward to Voom to have it added to the mapping for your zip code. It takes some time, apparently, to get this done. I haven't paid that much attention to the mapping issues but I think I've given you correct advice. If not, someone is sure to help better than I.

truqui said:
My install was done by Professional Installations Of Palm Beach and seemed fine until I had a service call come over from an independent who works for Installs, Inc exclusively and fixed it all.

truqui,

What was wrong with your install?

I never had anyone from the local installation company or from Installs Inc call after my installation to see how it went.

BTW, it looks like WSVN 7-1 is finally broadcasting on 720p. :up

Is anyone using the DVI cable getting close captioning ?
i have it set to always on and it doesn't work on some
channels that do work on DTV ?

P....

TC_Lauderdale...welcome to SoFlas Voom...I wasn't aware that Voom was already offereing PPV...that's great news!!!!

Vlad, This is what happened to my install...basically the main problem I had was with the OTA antenna and really didn't see anything wrong with the dish.
First installer came out mounted the Stealth but did not put in the amplified card and did plug in a power supply on the diplexor or splitter from but coax (OTA and dish) which was plugged into a wall outlet.
I was not getting good OTA then. He also had the OTA antenna pointing toward my roof which I thought was obviously impeding a good signal.

Joe Harkins from Installs Inc. followed up by giving me a call. I mentioned all this to him and he arranged to have someone come over. Service call came over a few days later. This guy knew much more about everything Voom related (I think)...he checked everything and immediately saw that all was wrong. He stared by taking down the OTA and relocating it higher and further away from the dish so as not to have both signals canceling each other out.
He opened the Stealth and showed me the card that was in there. It had nothing at all, no resistor thingys or anything, just a plastic card with a few plates. He changed the card to the amplified card, which comes with it BTW. Then removed the power supply and changed the splitter to a different kind. He said that the Stealth gets it's power from the STB box. He also told me that the way it was setup, that previous splitter/power cord was probably fried already thus not doing anything anyway. You need to have the amplified card in the actual Stealth antenna.
Now I get much better OTA signals...!!! Go figure!

I again praise Joe Harkins of Installs for his very good customer service!

Great News on WSVN...now I can watch 24 in HD...!!!

Hello Guys i am set for a install from all service on tuesday hope it goes well i live in palm beach gardens had d***** they are the worst hope voom is better

John, I've heard there is a really good installer named Scott (Nunes?) from Hi-Tech up there, perhaps you'll get him. Either way, I had a really good install here in Fort Lauderdale, the guy (Edson) knows the Voom install well and is pretty thorough. Good Luck!

TC_Lauderdale said:
Ricks, I have email Sean, however he has not responded about the WSVN 7.2 channel. Is there anything else I can do?

TC...I have the same issue but I'm sure Sean and the people at Voom are extremly busy with others. I've read on this forum that Voom is accelerating the software download for the Motorola Box to scan for locals. They say this will be in May.

As I am only missing 7.2 right now I'll be patient and wait for the scanning and maybe get somemore stations in (from Palm Beach?)

johnv1970 said:
Hello Guys i am set for a install from all service on tuesday hope it goes well i live in palm beach gardens had d***** they are the worst hope voom is better

Welcome to SoFla Voomers...!!!
Hope your install goes well. Post your experiences and let us know how Voom compares to D* once you have it running. Read my posts above because your STB box will probably have the original software and until you get the newest downloads you might have some issues like lockups, Program Guide not showing up, powering up always on Channel 100 instead of last channel and a few more.

Good luck!

truqui said:
TC...I have the same issue but I'm sure Sean and the people at Voom are extremly busy with others. I've read on this forum that Voom is accelerating the software download for the Motorola Box to scan for locals. They say this will be in May. only missing 7.2 right now I'll be patient and wait for the scanning and maybe get somemore stations in (from Palm Beach?)

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound impatient, believe me, being on Comcast for the last few years, I am definitely patient. I am new to Voom and just wondered if there was another avenue? The scanning option will be great, as I think I'll be able to also pull in some WPB stations. Thanks again

yeah i had d* for 10 years won't even replace hd box to keep me as a customer i think hi-tech did my d* install

truqui said:
Welcome to SoFla Voomers...!!!
Hope your install goes well. Post your experiences and let us know how Voom compares to D* once you have it running. Read my posts above because your STB box will probably have the original software and until you get the newest downloads you might have some issues like lockups, Program Guide not showing up, powering up always on Channel 100 instead of last channel and a few more.

Good luck!

Couple observations after four days of Voom.

I'm using a very good Sony XBR analog for now. Holding out for the new Sammy HLP's when they're released. The wait is killing me. Took playing with composite, S-video, and component cables and varying the "red button" for each until I was able to finally figure out a good picture. S-video, surprisingly, was just horrible. Color was all over the place and nothing would solve the problem. Best is component with 480i input - HD transmission is comparable to DVD and certainly better than cable. Please, Samsung, hurry up! I provide this description in case anyone else is using an analog set and disappointed. It takes some playing around but you can get an excellent picture.

As far as the infamous STB is concerned, I must be one of the fortunate one's because no matter how often I mash the remote, or what I ask it to do, I have not had one single lockup. Either before of after the upgrade to the latest version. I have beat up on it testing the picture and analyzing over and over various OTA stations and differing antenna locations. Of course, now that I've said that, everything will probably go to h@## in a hand basket. :rolleyes:

As for the OTA mapping, I'm missing a couple stations. Need to sit down and figure out exactly which one's but haven't done it yet. Frankly, since I don't have a HD set yet, I figure I'll just wait for the upgrade and add the missing stuff then.

All-in-all, this is one very satisfied Voom customer - from install through final tweaking of the system. :yes

Good to hear you positive experience Ricks....just wait till you are able to view HD...!!!
It will knock your socks off!!!

I haven't seen Voom on a non-HD set but I'm sure to PQ must be quite good as you mentioned.

Last evening my Voom went black, but I still received the sound. I couldn't navigate using the remote, however the receiver was indicating that it was receving the remote's commands. What should I do when I get home this evening?

TC_Lauderdale said:
Last evening my Voom went black, but I still received the sound. I couldn't navigate using the remote, however the receiver was indicating that it was receving the remote's commands. What should I do when I get home this evening?

Sounds like one of those infamous lockups...strange mine hasn't done that since the upgrade...This has happened to me and others before and it's quick and easy to fix.

Turn it on and then try a reset by pressing and holding the power button on the box until it it shuts down. It will cycle through and reset. You will lose all Program Guide info but it will come back after a while. This should unlock the box. If not...well there is a Factory Reset but I don't recall how to do this right now. Search through the General Voom Forums Threads (I think Sean Mota has posted it as "Things you should know about Voom")

Good luck!!!

installation went excellent waiting for software upgrade suppose to happen over night by the way how long does it take to put the credit hold for the bill on your cc????

I had Voom installed on 4/13/04 and my credit card still has not
been billed. I called them today and they said "Soon" whatever
that means.

who knows ?

P.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)