South Florida Voom Zone!!!

The diplexer issue has been beaten to a pulp in these forums.
I, for one, have one installed and have no problem at all. Signal Strength and Quality readings are way up in the high 90's all the time on both SAT ans OTA.

The reason is because my house is only a few years old and has been outfitted with a "smart box" where everything is pre-wired to every room very neatly with a double coax and phone line connectors, so running two lines meant a complicated install and putting holes in my walls when it wasn't merited.

If you want two lines they should do so without charging as mentioned before but you have a two room install so at some point, you'll have to have it split anyway.

Good luck and keep us posted!

All of the West Palm channels are now showing up in my guide but I can't tune any of them. Is anyone else getting these channels?

Vlad

Vlad D said:
All of the West Palm channels are now showing up in my guide but I can't tune any of them. Is anyone else getting these channels?

Vlad

I assume you are somewhere down south of WPB and you are saying the WPB stations magically appeared in your PG. I am in the opposite position - I'm in WPB (obviously always have had the WPB stations) and a couple days ago all of the Miami stations magically appeared. I can receive three or four of the Miami stations. I'm assuming my lack of reception for the others is an antenna issue and not the mapping, etc.

Where they came from and why is a mystery but I'm not complaining. I never contacted Voom with any mapping issues. My box has been rock solid since installed over a month ago and I've never rebooted. :shocked

Yup...same here! All of a sudden the Palm Beach stations are mapped on my PG but I can't tune in to all of them...

I'm assuming my lack of reception for the others is an antenna issue and not the mapping, etc.

I assumed the same. A friend of mine who also lives in Miramar is able to tune to all the WPB channels in addition to the Miami ones. So I think it must be an antenna issue, but since my antenna is on my roof (two story house) I am a bit reluctant to go up there an try to adjust the antenna. I wonder if I call Voom, will they send out an installer to adjust it?

Vlad D said:
I assumed the same. A friend of mine who also lives in Miramar is able to tune to all the WPB channels in addition to the Miami ones. So I think it must be an antenna issue, but since my antenna is on my roof (two story house) I am a bit reluctant to go up there an try to adjust the antenna. I wonder if I call Voom, will they send out an installer to adjust it?

If you get a yes from them...let me know so I can do the same. Better yet, send him over to my house...it's nearby anyway!

To be totally HONEST here, I'd much rather prefer picking up WPB stations.....
Local Miami stations are mostly "banana republic" crap.............
Not intended to offend anyone here, just a fact!
:yes

Some VOOM Newbie Questions

Sorry if this is a bit long. I got an advert for VOOM in the mail and started to check it out. Well, the next thing I run across is an infomercial about VOOM. It sounds good so I decide to check it out on the web and came across this site. Some really good information here, but right now my head is spinning. I'm trying to decide if I should switch from DTV to VOOM. I have a Toshiba 50" HD Ready Rear-Projection TV (not letterbox though) and would love to see the difference HD can bring, but am a bit insecure. I'm thinking of taking advantage of their "$0" install special before May 31. I have a couple of questions:

o Is the quality of the progamming (HD vs. SD) going to be that much better on a projection (vs. an LCD or Plasma) TV?

o Is all VOOM progamming in letterbox? If it is, does that mean that I'll always have bars above and below the picture or a "zoomed" picture (that may lose resolution)?

o I've read here about a "stealth" antenna for OTA locals. I live in Weston and (because of the terrible pact they have with Advanced Cable) they don't allow antennas. Is this antenna (is it the one that looks like a dish on a stick) of a size that is really is unobtrusive? I can't stand the cable locals and would love to see them in HD.

o My tv has 3 connections available for this; cable, 3 rca composite and S-Video connectors which one would produce the best picture and does VOOM do this hookup or will I need to supply these cables?

o I know I need to read these forums more and get more info, but it seems that the biggest install problems are; separate cables should be run for the dish and the antenna; insuring that the red button is properly set; mapping of channels (I really don't understand this yet). Are there other things I would need to watch out for?

o The pricing seems pretty similar to DTV (when you add premium packages) it is about $80/month. I believe that the channel lineups are also similar, but is there anything I'm missing with regard to their lineup?

o Is there a good remote that I can buy that would be simple for my wife to use (we keep two in the family room)?

I really appreciate whatever feedback you can give as I want to make a decision this week. Thanks in advance guys.

Lou

They cannot deny you an antenna. But, many can hide an antenna in the attic if you do not want an unsightly antenna on top of the roof.

If your TV is HD Ready it should have component input (or DVI) they would be best to use, if your TV is not HD Ready you will have to settle for S-Video.

Also looks like you will need to act by May 31st to get the free install offer from VOOM.

Can anyone pickup whdt 59-1 my local sound advice can pick up miami in jupiter but not whdt i have never seen it they must suck then lol

lmtorres said:
Sorry if this is a bit long. I got an advert for VOOM in the mail and started to check it out. Well, the next thing I run across is an infomercial about VOOM. It sounds good so I decide to check it out on the web and came across this site. Some really good information here, but right now my head is spinning. I'm trying to decide if I should switch from DTV to VOOM. I have a Toshiba 50" HD Ready Rear-Projection TV (not letterbox though) and would love to see the difference HD can bring, but am a bit insecure. I'm thinking of taking advantage of their "$0" install special before May 31. I have a couple of questions:

o Is the quality of the progamming (HD vs. SD) going to be that much better on a projection (vs. an LCD or Plasma) TV?
Picture Quality for HD vs. SD will be night and day...!!!
Vs. LCD or Plasma...well it depends mostly on your display.

o Is all VOOM progamming in letterbox? If it is, does that mean that I'll always have bars above and below the picture or a "zoomed" picture (that may lose resolution)?
HD channels will always be 16x9, Which is not necessarily "letterbox", its more. I really don't know how a 4x3 display would handle 16x9, I assume it would either letterbox it or stretch it.

o I've read here about a "stealth" antenna for OTA locals. I live in Weston and (because of the terrible pact they have with Advanced Cable) they don't allow antennas. Is this antenna (is it the one that looks like a dish on a stick) of a size that is really is unobtrusive? I can't stand the cable locals and would love to see them in HD.
It's an 18" dish for SAT (like your DTV) and a small arrow shaped antenna for the OTA. You shouldn't have a problem getting them installed. I live in Sunset Lakes just a bit south of you and HOA is strict, but they cannot impede you from installing an antenna. Somewhere in this forum you can find the state regulations that provide you with the answers.

o My tv has 3 connections available for this; cable, 3 rca composite and S-Video connectors which one would produce the best picture and does VOOM do this hookup or will I need to supply these cables?
In your case...S-video. Unfortunately, you will not have the best connection which is DVI or component, which is the next best. But with HD vs. cable, you will see a huge difference. I'm sure you have DTV through S-video right now, Right?

o I know I need to read these forums more and get more info, but it seems that the biggest install problems are; separate cables should be run for the dish and the antenna; insuring that the red button is properly set; mapping of channels (I really don't understand this yet). Are there other things I would need to watch out for?
Don't worry, we all went through the process and these forums will be a great help. Don't be afraid to ask questions as stupid as they seem to you. Lot's of knowledgeable people here are willing to respond...

o The pricing seems pretty similar to DTV (when you add premium packages) it is about $80/month. I believe that the channel lineups are also similar, but is there anything I'm missing with regard to their lineup?
Yup...A WHOLE LOT MORE HIGH DEFINITION CHANNELS!!!

o Is there a good remote that I can buy that would be simple for my wife to use (we keep two in the family room)?
Yes, do a search through the forum...I believe there are a few good ones out there.

I really appreciate whatever feedback you can give as I want to make a decision this week. Thanks in advance guys.

Lou
Lou...at $0 upfront and leasing for only $9.50 a month...GO FOR IT!!!
You will not be disappointed. If you can, keep your DTV for a month and compare.

Suerte!!! I hope to hear you're Vooming in South Florida like us!!!

Thanks so much for all the info. I'm pretty impressed. I just got off the phone with VOOM and have an install planned for June 5th. I'm looking forward to it. They told me they can install a small circular antenna that should pass muster with my HOA, so I feel pretty good about it, but I'll check with them anyway just to avoid problems. The delay in install gives me some time to read more of the forums here. I can't believe how much information there is, but frankly without this forum I would have been too leary to go forward and order this. While on the phone with them I did ask about the picture and what effect I would see on a 50" 4:3 picture and he told me that there would be some small loss of screen (I guess a top and bottom bar), but that it wouldn't be very noticable.

I think I'll also take your advice and keep DTV on the for month, this way I can go between the two and see the difference. I'm looking forward to a big one. Now I've got to go and read about mapping, updates and all the rest. The worst part of the install will be that I have a custom built wall unit that weighs too much to move so I'll have to help them snake the wires through the back to the tuner unit. A small price to pay for HD.

Thanks again for the response and I'll be posting again, once I have enough info to be dangerous.

LT

lmtorres said:
Thanks so much for all the info. I'm pretty impressed. I just got off the phone with VOOM and have an install planned for June 5th. I'm looking forward to it. They told me they can install a small circular antenna that should pass muster with my HOA, so I feel pretty good about it, but I'll check with them anyway just to avoid problems. The delay in install gives me some time to read more of the forums here. I can't believe how much information there is, but frankly without this forum I would have been too leary to go forward and order this. While on the phone with them I did ask about the picture and what effect I would see on a 50" 4:3 picture and he told me that there would be some small loss of screen (I guess a top and bottom bar), but that it wouldn't be very noticable.

I think I'll also take your advice and keep DTV on the for month, this way I can go between the two and see the difference. I'm looking forward to a big one. Now I've got to go and read about mapping, updates and all the rest. The worst part of the install will be that I have a custom built wall unit that weighs too much to move so I'll have to help them snake the wires through the back to the tuner unit. A small price to pay for HD.

Thanks again for the response and I'll be posting again, once I have enough info to be dangerous.

LT

Great...let us know how it goes!!!
If you currently are not getting DTV HD you will see that big difference with VOOM HD!!!

Read here http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=14090 I think it will help you understand 4x3 vs. 16x9

Multiple room rental costs again?

Sorry everyone but I'm still confused on multiple TV's. I have one plasma screen and about 4 other regular TV's I want to connect. What is the cost for the extra TV's? I heard there is an extra charge PLUS an extra box rental fee???

I'm around Flamingo Gardens in Davie and will add my feedback once I figure out exactly what I'm looking at for the monthly Voom fee vs. Comcast cable. Thanks for any info you can lend - it's been great reading about your installs here in SFLA!

Rick,

From Voom's website:
$9.50 per month for one receiver plus one off-air antenna, including free standard professional installation.
$9.50 per month for each additional receiver.
$5 per month multiple television connectivity fee for each additional receiver.
$50 standard professional installation fee for each receiver after the third receiver that is installed on the same visit.
$199 standard professional installation fee for each additional installation visit.
Maximum of 6 receivers allowed per customer.

So basically if you want to connect Voom to all five of your TVs it will breakdown like this:

IIRC the intiall free intsallation (if you order before 5/31) will cover 3 receivers. The remaining 2 receivers will have a $50 each installation fee ($100 total) if installed on initial visit otherwise its $199. :eek:

You will have a monthly rental fee of $9.50 each for 5 receivers ($47.50 total), plus a monthly $5 mirroring fee for 4 receivers ($20 total).
So total monthly rental fee $67.50 for 5 TVs plus price of programming package.

Vlad

Rick in Davie...Vlad pretty much summed it up...!!!

Are all your TV's HD ready? Why would you want to have Voom HD on all if not? I guess you want to part with Comcast, but wouldn't it be better if you kept basic service for all the TV's which are not HD displays and Voom on the ones that are?
It's your $$$, but I think Voom is NOT a good service for non HD displays.
Just my 2 cents...

Thanks for the excellent description! As for getting Voom in all rooms, the wife and I are fed up with Comcast cable bills, fees, add-ons, etc. We watch movies on the plasma and not much more than local stations, discovery channel or animal planet on the others. The thought was to go Voom all the way and eliminate cable altogether.

I'm just reading along this Florida voom thread.... Im in Pembroke Pines and I get all the locals pretty good without any problems. However, no 7.2 (weather) as of yet. With my D*, i get all the miami (cept for 33 which cant get good signal) and most of the west palm stations by aiming the antenna (terk tv55) north east.

Now for Voom, I'm west, and it's aimed south east (toward proplayer) where the antenna's are. My dish and antenna are mounted on the same pole about 22ft up so I cant mess with it at all, but the reception is fine. Voom itself is a problem, the 15 second video stutter is the biggest complaint, but thats for another thread!

flipper2001 said:
Voom itself is a problem, the 15 second video stutter is the biggest complaint, but thats for another thread!

The only time I get any kind of stutter is when changing channels...!!!
Is this on SAT or OTA? I'm in Sunset Lakes in West Miramar and have no problems with the stealth antenna. I could use a bit more SAT signal strength but the quality for both is over 93 all the time.

Truqui,

It's on all stations, the first night after I got the firmware update watching CSI in a fast paced seen I noticed it. If you watch ANY fast paced action sequence, every 15 seconds their is a video stutter. Im in Pembroke Isles Btw.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)