Space Shuttle Atlantis STS-125 Launch

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
NASA on HDNet - LIVE!
Space Shuttle Atlantis STS-125 Launch - Live coverage from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida of the launch of space shuttle Atlantis STS-125. On the 11-day mission, Atlantis' crew will visit the Hubble space telescope for the final time, upgrading one of the most important satellites ever launched. 1:30 PM ET
10:30 AM PT

Source: HDNet

Contrary to the answer on the Tech Forum, NASA is available in HD for free on C-Band, so Dish Network could have a NASA-HD channel whenever they want, and it would even satisfy part of their Public Interest requirements. I have forwarded the details to the Engineering Department, so we will see whether they get something up...

Contrary to the answer on the Tech Forum, NASA is available in HD for free on C-Band, so Dish Network could have a NASA-HD channel whenever they want, and it would even satisfy part of their Public Interest requirements. I have forwarded the details to the Engineering Department, so we will see whether they get something up...

The problem is that NASA doesn't always have an HD channel. They only run the channel during missions - usually they put it up a day or so before launch and take it down after landing. So most of the time, they don't have an HD channel.

It would be totally worth it just for missions though. Although NASA really should work on getting a full time HD channel.

If you go to the forum at nasaspaceflight.com, there's a member that gets all the HD highlights via C-band, records them and encodes them to h.264, and posts them for all to download. I must say they look quite spectacular - especially any shot they take out the window.

The problem is that NASA doesn't always have an HD channel. They only run the channel during missions - usually they put it up a day or so before launch and take it down after landing. So most of the time, they don't have an HD channel.

It would be totally worth it just for missions though. Although NASA really should work on getting a full time HD channel.

If you go to the forum at nasaspaceflight.com, there's a member that gets all the HD highlights via C-band, records them and encodes them to h.264, and posts them for all to download. I must say they look quite spectacular - especially any shot they take out the window.

Not having a full time channel is not a problem for Dish Network, in fact, just the opposite, because it uses no bandwidth when there is no programming (just like the HD RSNs).

I second the recommendation for nasaspaceflight.com - go to the video Forum and the ST-125 thread, and get Flight Day 4 HD highlights (these are entirely different from the SD highlights, since they use a different camera).

Not having a full time channel is not a problem for Dish Network, in fact, just the opposite, because it uses no bandwidth when there is no programming (just like the HD RSNs).

I second the recommendation for nasaspaceflight.com - go to the video Forum and the ST-125 thread, and get Flight Day 4 HD highlights (these are entirely different from the SD highlights, since they use a different camera).

Looks like you have to Pay to get to that thread.

That thread is free. L2 is the pay section and features exclusive content - the stuff you won't find on any other site, on NASA TV, or on nasa.gov.

The highlights are in the free video section. All you need to do is register for an account for the forum, and you'll be able to access it.

If you have issues, try emailing Chris Bergin, the site editor/admin, at chrisbergin [at] nasaspaceflight [dot] com.

The only reason the free video section requires an account is to save bandwidth - it ensures the direct links aren't spread around. In this case the videos are hosted on a third party server, so they may also be in the regular sections, but you should be able to get to that thread without a problem.

This is the thread you're trying, right? You want the forum "NSF Video Collection," not "Spaceflight L2: STS-125/LON-400 special" nor "Spaceflight L2: The "Ultimate Video Collection."

Login

PS A good free open source program that can manage those kinds of web-based downloads is Free Download Manager. Of particular help to me, is that it has 3 "zones" - Heavy, Medium or Light - and setting it at Light allows family members to browse the web or listen to Internet Radio, while you continue to get your NASA HD video download...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)