Spaghetti nest of coax .. how to identify?

rexlan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
In this house I bought they ran all the coax to a central location by the attic stairs and it is in one big pile like a spaghetti next ... what a friggin mess !

I don't have much equipment (DVM is about it) ... is there a simple way to ID what coax goes to each room?

Short out one of the ends and test for continuity on the other end. Going to be a lot of running around, but even if you'd buy a tone generator, it'd still be a lot of running around. Maybe get somebody on a radio or phone to help?

I had an electrician that went awol during a build. We setup a DVD player at the nest and a small TV in room 1. We then started with the first cable from the nest to see if that one lit up the TV or not and continued until we found the one that did and then labeled it. We then moved the TV to room 2 and repeated the process. We only had 8 cables so it really didn't take long to do, maybe 15 minutes. I had the TV turned up loud so it was easy to hear when the right cable was connected. Didn't have to screw the connector on either.

Thanks for the replies ... sounds like shorting and the DVM is about the easiest for me ... I do have a pair of radios as well so the wife can help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)