DISH FORCING me to get a TECH visit for a receiver swap !!!!

86turbodsl

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 18, 2006
I had an owned 311 that went bad. Called the tech number to get a replacement box. The rep tried to upgrade me to a vip211k and schedule a visit. I told him no, just send a box. 3 days later i get the box. take it to the tv, install it in place of the defective 311.

I call the number to activate it, and the rep tells me she can't activate it without a tech visit.

I pressure her for the exact reason for the visit. she tells me that i'm on western arc and i need to be migrated to eastern arc so i can get locals.

I told her i don't get locals and don't need locals.

she tells me that i need to be migrated to the eastern arc and i am required to have locals!!!

i told her that the dish is on a pole mount in the back of the house and i can't see eastern arc from the back of the house.
i also tell her that the tech will NOT be allowed to move my dish. I don't want a dish in the front of my expensive house.
I don't want it on the roof. I want it right where it is.

she tells me that it's required to move me to eastern arc because i must have locals.

IS LOCALS a requirement now??? What the heck? I don't like being strongarmed!

I don't want a tech working on my house and drilling holes anywhere! I installed everything exactly where i want it and if this is the kind of crap dish is going to be pulling, maybe it's time for this customer of 15 years! to unsubscribe.

You're right, this is a pain. You can drop Dish of course. Your other option is to have the tech come out. If you speak to him directly and tell him what you want/don't want, he could submit that it's not feasible to put you on EA.

I had the same issue when I upgraded my receiver. They wanted to upgrade me to EA but they would have had to put the dish where it was visible to the street. I told him I didn't want that so I was able to keep the dish that was already installed on the back of the house. ...My only difference is that our locals are carried on EA and WA (Atlanta locals) so it's not like it made a difference programming wise. I think your only hangup would be if there's something about the 'must carry' rule... Perhaps somebody else could chime in on that?

Been told the same thing, however, I do not need to move my dish's location, but I am told they have to move it to the EA even though I use OTA for my locals.

Will you please send me a PM with your phone number so I can assist you further?

We do now require that all customers have locals. Any change, including a receiver replacement, will add them on.

Think of it as a nice tune up while getting a receiver replaced. :)

(And trust me... you will want to be on the correct arc in a few months) :D

there is something coming real soon in a couple on months according to what scott i am hoping for you know what.

Between Scott's hints,all the channel moving recently,the end of life receiver swap,it should be rather obvious that Dish intends to quit simulcasting so many channels between both arcs.Can you imagine the transponder space they could gain by having locals on one arc only?

Between Scott's hints,all the channel moving recently,the end of life receiver swap,it should be rather obvious that Dish intends to quit simulcasting so many channels between both arcs.Can you imagine the transponder space they could gain by having locals on one arc only?

It would be interesting how many customers would be lost if locals were only on one ARC for a given location for everyone. (I realize there are areas where that is true now)

I can't really imagine California locals on the EA.

I can't imagine CT or Tampa locals only on the EA. For many areas the geographical location of a State or DMA has no bearing as to what ARC is better to get. The terrain/trees/buildings, etc.. does.

Exactly. Which is why I can't imagine all locals on one arc.

I really don't think the idea here is that all locals will be on one arc, but rather that any given DMAs locals will be on only one of the two arcs. That might not be applied to all DMAs, but there may be some (including the OP's) that are now on both arcs that are going to be dropped from one or the other in the near future.

Do they plan on removing SD locals off of WA for those markets that get them on EA in a few months?

Here's the problem with that rumor ( and I'm hearing it a lot from customers):
Only customers who call in with some kind of issue are getting set up for these MPEG2 to MPEG4 equipment changes. If SD locals are really going away in a few months, then why isn't Dish contacting customers who are not having issues to let them know they need to upgrade? Is Dish really going to blindside them one morning when they wake up with no local channels? And there are still so many subscribers out there who would need this "upgrade" that it'll take way more than just a few months to get them all switched over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)