speaker match

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

finrod60

Original poster
Nov 22, 2006
north east pennsylvania
need help, i am looking to update my system, i have a htib from sony right now (dav-c770) hooked to a sony grand wega kdf50 we655. also have dish network. i am looking at a pioneer receiver vsx-1016 txv-k right now as the best bang for the buck. also looking at onkyo. what speakers would match up well with the pioneer as they say it is a very warm sounding reciver. looking to spend around 1000. to start. will be purchasing a new dvd player next. thanks in advance

Trust your own ears!

I don't have a specific recommendation for you, but in my past experience the only sure way to choose good speakers was to audition them. Ideally doing a back-to-back comparison in your home environment, if it all possible. A lot depends on your room acoustics, your music preferences, etc.

If you can't get a loaner for in-home audition, then grab a few of your most favorite CDs/DVDs and go to some specialty audio/video store and try to listen to them there. If you can't get the exact setup with your specific receiver, still try to do a back to back comparison of different speakers using any type of receiver.

You will see (hear) a dramatic difference from one speaker brand to another. I usually look for the most natural and neutral sound without any artificial "coloration". Close your eyes and try to imagine that the music is played live. Does it sound real? Can you tell individual instruments? Is it like you are in front of the stage? Or does it sound as if you are behind a curtain?

Again, don't rely solely on any reviews or recommendations. Trust your own ears!

Good luck!

You will see (hear) a dramatic difference from one speaker brand to another. I usually look for the most natural and neutral sound without any artificial "coloration". Close your eyes and try to imagine that the music is played live. Does it sound real? Can you tell individual instruments? Is it like you are in front of the stage? Or does it sound as if you are behind a curtain?

Again, don't rely solely on any reviews or recommendations. Trust your own ears!

Good luck!

In addition, be wary of the salesman doing the quick back and forth switching. That sort of test will lead you toward the speaker that is more efficient, thus a bit louder. It also leads you toward the speakers that are "brighter" and less natural, much the same way that every TV at BB has the brightness and contrast cranked way up. You really do need to sit down and listen for awhile. You will do better to listen to several sources on one speaker and then switch and listen to the same sources on another speaker.

Also be aware that most home spaces will have more reflections and tend to be brighter than the listening room at a reasonable store.

need help, i am looking to update my system, i have a htib from sony right now (dav-c770) hooked to a sony grand wega kdf50 we655. also have dish network. i am looking at a pioneer receiver vsx-1016 txv-k right now as the best bang for the buck. also looking at onkyo. what speakers would match up well with the pioneer as they say it is a very warm sounding reciver. looking to spend around 1000. to start. will be purchasing a new dvd player next. thanks in advance
The best place to research audio/video equipment is avsforum.com. I spent hundreds of hours reading there before buying my tv and srereo. The best value in speakers are the brands that sell mail order direct. Check out Ascend Acoustics, Axiom, Athena, and AV123. They all sell high quality bookshelf speakers that will sound great whether you hook up to Pioneer, Onkyo, Denon, or Yamaha receivers. The best value in subwoofers are Hsu Research and SVS. In stores the Canadian speaker companies are hard to beat, especially Mirage, PSB, and Paradigm. All these brands kick butt on speakers made by Sony, Pioneer etc. and don't get near anything made by Bose.

Be aware that if you go with the vsx-1016 and using HDMI, you will have to use the optical cable for your sound. This receiver only does video over HDMI. I had this one for about 6 hours and then returned it.

As much as I like the Pioneer receivers, for the money, I would take a pass on the 1016, and instead head over to Shop Onkyo. They are the factory outlet on Onkyo products. Check back daily, and be sure to create an account with them to get the best deals. Last week, they had a refurb TX-SR605 (with full warranty) for $349, with a 10% off coupon and you can save an extra $10 by creating an account. And, they have free ground shipping, too. So, you could have that receiver for about $305! This is a a great receiver, and supports HDMI 1.3 features, such as the ability to decode the latest audio formats sent over HDMI, so it would be a great companion to a BR or HD DVD player.

And, with this or the Pioneer, I would recommend Athena speakers, based on personal experience. But, be sure to give them some time to break in. If you can still track down some JBL Northridge speakers (try OneCall), they rock, too. A friend has these with an older Pioneer, sounds great!

I like AVS. I'm even a paid club member. However, I would suggest you look at Audioholics or Ecoustics before AVS.

To pair with your receiver.

Energy Take Classic 5.1 Speaker System Review — Audioholics Home Theater Reviews and News

Klipsch Quintet III — Audioholics Home Theater Reviews and News -- lacks a sub

Yamaha NS-SP7800PN — Audioholics Home Theater Reviews and News

I concur with the AV123 recommendation. Try finding AV123's on E-bay. (Hint: They're rarely there. People don't want to get rid of them!)

Other online rags to consider are ultimageavmag.com, soundandvision.com, and hometheatermagazine.com.

Great Tip, Thanks Alot. Have Considered Onkyo Beforebut I Thought They Were A Little To High On Price. I Will Continue To Look At Them. Everything Is Really Confusing Right Know, But I`m Learning. My Buddies At Work Told Me I Have To Hear Paradigm Speakers Before I Decide On Anything, So I`ll Be Grabbing Some Cd`s And Heading Down To Hear Them And Some Others. Thanks Again!!!!

A 60 Yr Old Confused Puppy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts