Speaker stand question

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
So the wife decided she wanted a new tv stand (thank god). We picked out a nice open dark cherry stand, thats very wide and has two levels of black tempered glass shelves. 50% off tomorrow so its a good deal, and I can finally let my ger breathe cool air again.

I'm gonna go with new speaker stands, and found some Sanus I like. Going with a center channel stand, 18"(aimed up at us), in front of the ent center, and a matching pair off to each side for the bookshelves. Here is my question:

When choosing a height for the bookshelves, what should I aim for?

Our ears are at 35" or so, so I'm thinking the stands where the base is 30". They are pretty nice, hide the cables, and have spiked feet. Other option is 24 inches, but I'd think that was too low.

When choosing a height for the bookshelves, what should I aim for?

Our ears are at 35" or so, so I'm thinking the stands where the base is 30". They are pretty nice, hide the cables, and have spiked feet. Other option is 24 inches, but I'd think that was too low.

You generally want the tweeters at about ear level. They are the most directional. Of course, that is a VERY general guideline and YMMV.

The height of the stands depends on the size of the speakers. My stands are the Sanus 24" but the tweeters on the speakers are exterior top mounted, so it works out perfectly in my situation. ;)

elwaylite, I'd love to see some pics of the new stand/setup if you have the time to post them.

Will do.

I just got my ent center in today, but it'll have to stay boxed because we are moving. In mid Feb, I'll have the new ent center and speaker stands in use, so I'll surely post then.

The center channel, being the absolute single most important speaker in any surround sound system, begs to be at ear level. If not it will be difficult to hear intelligible dialog since all of it comes from the center as well as missing some musical cues as the center plays 70% and sometimes more of that as well.

Do yourself a favor and choose the positioning and location for the center channel wisely so that you can hear all that you are supposed to...

Hope this helps.

The center cannot be at ear level, either above or below. I think below is better, and it is adjustable. I usually put a laser on the side and adjust the up angle, to its pointed at our face in the listening position.

The center channel, being the absolute single most important speaker in any surround sound system, begs to be at ear level. If not it will be difficult to hear intelligible dialog since all of it comes from the center as well as missing some musical cues as the center plays 70% and sometimes more of that as well.

Do yourself a favor and choose the positioning and location for the center channel wisely so that you can hear all that you are supposed to...

Hope this helps.

That might be the biggest single point of compromise in any HT setup. The problem is that the sweet spot for the center channel is exactly the same sweet spot for the display.

Unless you have a front projector setup, and are willing to accept a different set of compromises to have a perforated screen that can pass sound, you are stuck with placing the center channel either below or above the screen.

This means that you will either see a dip or peak in the soundstage at the center. Sound panning across the soundstage will change vertical position. I noticed this on an older rear projector setup when I had the center down on the floor. It was especially noticeable in movies like American Graffiti where cars are constantly moving across.

I kind of find a high soundstage a better compromise. Place the center above the screen. The tweeters of the main speakers are at the highest point, and placing them slightly higher actually makes them look more balanced with the screen. Compromise a little bit and let the tweeters be below the center will get you a better balance. It also gives the advantage that the speakers can be angled down slightly. This setup works well with multiple row HTs.

The problem with placing the center above the mains is that it aesthetically looks funky as heck. Most theaters have the speakers below. The higher solution works well for small speakers, or in-wall installations, but if you are using larger speakers and the typical flat panel, it is tough to get it looking good.

There is one more possibility. You can get a pair of center speakers, and place them to either side of the screen at eye height. This sets up a brand new set of compromises though. First, unless you have a very wide room, the centers get too close the the main speakers and separation suffers. In addition, a pair of speakers, in phase will set up null spots at different frequencies in the main viewing area. For that reason, twin mains have kind of lost favor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)