Special Retailer Chat Recap - March 18, 2008

I've been viewing those slides with the announced local HD rollouts. Is there anywhere we can go to get additional information on future plans. I specifically am wondering if any plans are in the works for a Harrisbug-Lebanon-Lancaster-York, PA rollout. I think its ranked in the top 50 DMA's nationally, so I was hopeful it would be included soon, but I never even see a dot on the map near Harrisburg. Also, DirecTV and Comcast both offer local HD Channels, so I would think they're available...

Any thoughts? Thanks
"move" to Chambersburg, or anywhere else in Franklin County. They get both Harrisburg & Washington locals, with the Washington ones in HD.

I just talked to a friend at Dish, the uplink reports are going to be very interesting over the next 2 to 3 weeks. :)

I am back to being excited again.

Be interesting what type of dish hardware they install for the new markets getting local HD on 61.5. Will it be similar to a Dish 1000, 500, or 300? This might give us some clues for future Eastern Arc plans.

Short term this will cost Dish a bunch of $$$ for DPP44's and another dish for those of us who will require a second dish pointed at 61.5.

I think the DirecTV trolls (sorry can't think of a better word and I can't spell neighsayers correctly...) will be eating crow soon.

I have been 100% on about all of this and have no intentions of being wrong now. I wish I could put the retailer chat audio online, as it sounded almost like I said on Sunday Night word for word. I am actually kind of proud of that. :)

Odds for this week are Slim to None. :)

I am hearing most of the movement will be twards the end of the month.

Besides I like to be surprised like everyone else every once in awhile. :D :D

Not to throw cold water on this, but here goes:

For those of you who are getting locals soon, that's great for you, especially if you have a 61.5 dish.

But there is no word on when National HD Channels are to be launched. And for some of us there are ominous developments over the last couple of weeks.

When will we have new national HD? Not much said on that. I would have liked to hear that they were launching national channels in HD in April or May, but I did not hear that, so I assume they aren't planning on it. Only thing that has been indicated from Dish as a timeframe has been "before the next Charlie Chat", which I believe is in June. All Jim seemed to indicate is that they are still on schedule. So if they launch any National HD before the second Monday in June, they will have met the commitment, which is not much of a commitment.

Especially since Dish is about 10-15 channels behind Directv now (depending on how you count), and will fall further behind at the end of the month when several ABC-ESPN-Disney properties launch in HD on Directv.

And this Eastern Arc thing is not a good idea for some of us. For me, it's real bad. Is Dish really planning to put Chicago, Milwaukee and Green Bay HD locals on 61.5? Anyone who lives within about four miles of Lake Michigan is going to have real problems with that in the Winter. When all the low priority locals were on 61.5 a few years ago, I could not get them at night during winter (Chronic fog at the shoreline). The signal just died.

Around that time I also tried to get Voom installed. But The installer could not get a signal. (There are no tree problems, by the way).

Most people are looking at 129-110. Are they going to repoint thousands of Dishes in the Chicago Metro Area? Really? And how long will that take?

I guess this is good enough news that I am not jumping ship yet. But I am not buying anything that would extend my commitment, either, since my commitment is over now.

Not to throw cold water on this, but here goes:

For those of you who are getting locals soon, that's great for you, especially if you have a 61.5 dish.

But there is no word on when National Locals are to be launched. Or where. And for some of us there are ominous developments over the last couple of weeks.

When will we have new national HD? Not much said on that. I would have liked to hear that they were launching national locals in April or May, but I did not hear that, so I assume they aren't planning on it. Only thing that has been indicated from Dish as a timeframe has been "before the next Charlie Chat", which I believe is in June. All Jim seemed to indicate is that they are still on schedule. So if they launch any National HD before the second Monday in June, they will have met the commitment, which is not much of a commitment.

Especially since Dish is about 10-15 channels behind Directv now (depending on how you count), and will fall further behind at the end of the month when several ABC-ESPN-Disney properties launch in HD on Directv.

And this Eastern Arc thing is not a good idea for some of us. For me, it's real bad. Is Dish really planning to put Chicago, Milwaukee and Green Bay HD locals on 61.5? Anyone who lives within about four miles of Lake Michigan is going to have real problems with that in the Winter. When all the low priority locals were on 61.5 a few years ago, I could not get them at night during winter (Chronic fog at the shoreline). The signal just died.

Around that time I also tried to get Voom installed. But The installer could not get a signal. (There are no tree problems, by the way).

Most people are looking at 129-110. Are they going to repoint thousands of Dishes in the Chicago Metro Area? Really? And how long will that take?

I guess this is good enough news that I am not jumping ship yet. But I am not buying anything that would extend my commitment, either, since my commitment is over now.
Your not throwing cold water here, trust me, I gotta say some of your comments are very off the wall (i.e. stock price falling) I think you say alot of things in anger before you think about them, give this time to come true as so far Dish has done a great job of moving ahead in the HD area, I think you wont be disapointed :)

Spoken like someone who already has their Locals in HD.

For all the other people though, Local channels is where they get the majority of their programming, so they want their Locals, and don't care about National Channels.

Derwin0,

While I do watch my locals I have no real need to get my locals delivered to me via Satellite, except for maybe once in a "Blue Moon" I'd like to record or watch more than one Local HD channel at a time. With that said I would rather have more national channels.

John

While I do watch my locals I have no real need to get my locals delivered to me via Satellite, except for maybe once in a "Blue Moon" I'd like to record or watch more than one Local HD channel at a time. With that said I would rather have more national channels.
But there are lots of people who can't pull in the HD Locals OTA, therefore they want/need to get them via satellite/cable.

Remember, satellite subscriptions only really took off when they started to offer locals.

Ans with the networks scheduleling a lot of their top shows against each other, I find myself recording 2 or 3 shows at the same time a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)