Spectrum: Can you avoid cable box charges by just using the app?

Spectrum is a decent price until i start adding equipment.. can i just use the app. Do I have to get a box for one room and then the app for the other TVs??
Certain TV brands are not compatible with Spectrum App (LG, Vizio, Sony, firesticks). Samsung, roku tvs, and roku sticks work great. I recommend the 4K roku stick (best wifi) if TV is not compatible. I have multiple tvs (using 4k rokus) and cloud dvr. Really love the cloud dvr, watch any recording on any tv.

Thought this was a good place for this-

Now I tried Spectrum via the app on my Roku when we moved to Florida , I find YTTV to be massively superior , faster, more responsive to the remote, unlimited DVR, even better picture and sound.

Also, Spectrum is more expensive because of fees, namely that Broadcast TV fee.

Reactions: John2021
well when we had there internet it was pretty stable... just way over priced for what it is. and they won't match competitor pricing they would you walk out the door!!! for wich we did!!! wonders how much longer they will be around???. Now that fibers being rolled in more areas it's going to kill em..

This Thread is full of misinformation

1 - The $18 broadcast TV fee is the only extra below the line fee, DVR and set top rentals fees are to be expected
Set top rentals are $8/box, DVR fee is $12 for one DVR or $20 for up to four
You can use the Spectrum app in lieu of having a set top box, if you want DVR service with the app you need to pay for the Cloud DVR, which is $5 or $10.

2 - What taxes? Many states do not charge tax on TV service. It's illegal to charge tax on internet service. Charter eats the tax on phone service.

3 - There is no $5 'Sports Fee'.
There is an optional $5 add on Sports Tier that includes: ESPNEWS, MLB StrikeZone, NBA TV, NFL Network, NFL RedZone, NHL Network, Olympic Channel, Big Ten Network, Mav TV, Golf, Tennis Channel, Outdoor Channel and the 8 ESPN College Extra Channels. With the exception of StrikeZone, RedZone and Outdoor channel, all of the other channels mentioned are included in Digi Tier 1 or 2 add on packages for $12 each or included as a part of TV Gold. And unlike DirecTV, there is no RSN fee

4 - Spectrum's pricing is pretty reasonable compared to DirecTV.
I pay $194 (including the Broadcast Fee) for TV Gold w/Cinemax, Epix, 2 DVRs
A DirecTV equivalent of Premier + RSN Fee + 2 DVRs is $221 with the new pricing
Going even further to make it an apples to apples comparison as best as possible, if I were to add the Sports Tier to Spectrum price would be $199, if I add Epix and HD Extra Pack to DirecTV it would be $232. DirecTV is $33 more expensive for nearly the same services.
well i was told 9.99 box rental
19.99 DVR service for more than one dvr box 12.99 for one dvr
and a 21.00 broadcast fee
for 3 DVR boxes with the broadcast fee it's 70.99 plus taxes and fees and your package 59.99 for the select wich adds up to 130.98 plus taxes and fees on top. my directv bill is a flat out 99.99 a month with the select package and 3 rooms :) .
so glad we ditched em!!!

This Thread is full of misinformation

1 - The $18 broadcast TV fee is the only extra below the line fee, DVR and set top rentals fees are to be expected
Set top rentals are $8/box, DVR fee is $12 for one DVR or $20 for up to four
You can use the Spectrum app in lieu of having a set top box, if you want DVR service with the app you need to pay for the Cloud DVR, which is $5 or $10.

2 - What taxes? Many states do not charge tax on TV service. It's illegal to charge tax on internet service. Charter eats the tax on phone service.

3 - There is no $5 'Sports Fee'.
There is an optional $5 add on Sports Tier that includes: ESPNEWS, MLB StrikeZone, NBA TV, NFL Network, NFL RedZone, NHL Network, Olympic Channel, Big Ten Network, Mav TV, Golf, Tennis Channel, Outdoor Channel and the 8 ESPN College Extra Channels. With the exception of StrikeZone, RedZone and Outdoor channel, all of the other channels mentioned are included in Digi Tier 1 or 2 add on packages for $12 each or included as a part of TV Gold. And unlike DirecTV, there is no RSN fee

4 - Spectrum's pricing is pretty reasonable compared to DirecTV.
I pay $194 (including the Broadcast Fee) for TV Gold w/Cinemax, Epix, 2 DVRs
A DirecTV equivalent of Premier + RSN Fee + 2 DVRs is $221 with the new pricing
Going even further to make it an apples to apples comparison as best as possible, if I were to add the Sports Tier to Spectrum price would be $199, if I add Epix and HD Extra Pack to DirecTV it would be $232. DirecTV is $33 more expensive for nearly the same services.
You should consider Cloud DVR Plusnand ditch the 2 DVR boxes. Cloud DVR is whole house dvr. Cloud Plus allows 100 recordings.

You should consider Cloud DVR Plusnand ditch the 2 DVR boxes. Cloud DVR is whole house dvr. Cloud Plus allows 100 recordings.
Nope. Not now, not ever. I don't believe in the 'cloud', it's all BS.

I want to be in control, I want on site recordings on a dedicated hardware device, I want my recordings to be independent of the internet. I don't need whole house DVR, don't need 100 recordings. I watch the previous nights recordings when I get home from work and then immediately delete. It's extremally rare anything stays on any of my DVRs for more than 24 hours.

To me, DVRs are nothing but temporary storage. No different then popping in a VHS tape in to record programming 25 years ago. Record, watch, rewind, record. I don't care for the concept of binge watching and if there is something I want to keep long term, I'll just buy it on DVD or blu ray and it's mine forever. All of that hard drive space a waste for me since there's never more than 5 - 6 hours combined worth of content recorded between the 4 DVRs

To me, DVRs are nothing but temporary storage.
I understand that. Others use them to record things for longer terms and different usage patterns. I still have the Olympic Opening Ceremonies from the 2008 Summer games.

My point is that your usage is not representative of everyone else's usage.

Reactions: ncted
I understand that. Others use them to record things for longer terms and different usage patterns. I still have the Olympic Opening Ceremonies from the 2008 Summer games.

My point is that your usage is not representative of everyone else's usage.
Neither is yours.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Available on Amazon for $8, and it's not dependent on a hard drive failure.
The difference is that my copy is in HD. :)

The opening and closing ceremonies have been available (with two ugly bugs) on YouTube for a while now.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bufV3EgyPGU

DISH EHD recordings aren't dependent on the DVR that they were initially recorded on remaining functional -- only that the account remains active.

There are multiple use cases for keeping content around for more than a few days so while timeshifting is likely part of everyone's usage, there are additional viewing schemes (especially binge-watching) that are employed regularly.

There are no additional fees with Spectrum Voice. Charter eats the E911, Federal Communications Commission Fee, Federal Universal Service Fund Fee. Franchise Fee (for video service) is the only one that applies.
You could save $30 month by switching to Cloud DVR and ditching the cable boxes. Allows you to watch recorded content on any tv in the house.