spectrum(charter) new guide is here! very happy!

Cisco actually doesn’t make set top boxes anymore. They sold that arm of the business off to Technicolor a few years ago. The Worldbox (101, 201) is made by Technicolor and Humax. Worldbox 2 (110, 210) is made by Technicolor, Humax and Arris. I think the Arris boxes are only available in areas where the local headend uses Motorola equipment, but I could be mistaken. But yes there can be some compatibility issues between set top box manufactures and Motorola/Arris headends and Scientific Atlanta/Cisco headends.
i heard the cisco boxes are complete crapola to from what the tech was telling me with constant reboots. i did call customer service and had them look up who made the world boxes and your right it's being made by technicolor and humax. i know in my area i can't get the world box because were on arris hardware. there is alot of here say about the next world box comming out that's gonna be a cloud based box as it will have no HDD in it. as far as compatibility issues i always thought the boxes were shipped blank and it just downloaded the software from a main server at spectrum because everything looks the same to me weather it's cisco or arris hardware

Damn, thats a nice set! Honestly I would try charter if they had a 4 tuner box. I just can't bring myself to downgrade to a two tuner box.
HAHA that's what they gave me when they did my install. a dual tuner dvr with a 500 GB HDD. you wanna talk about unhappy between not having enough space to record and recording conflicts!!! i called customer service and they told me that they were gonna give me a world box i was ok with that. the tech came out and said to me that i could not get a world box because i am arris hardware and there not compatible!!! i was like something better get done here cause this nonsense i can't record the drive is always full and then there's to many freaking recording conflicts. i just said if it's not fixed i am going to go with dish network where i can record 16 shows at once :clapping:biggrin2 and cancel you idiots out all together. needless to say the tech went out to his truck and got me an old whole home 6 tuner dvr after i threatened :biggrin2. and yes i prey everyday that it don't break down:rolleyes: cause god knows what the will replace it with:oldmad. i dunno but cable seems to stay in the stone age where satellite goes into the future

I'm no headend expert, but I believe the compatibility issues ultimately lie with the Conditional Access System.

There were two major players in cable company headend equipment industry, Scientific Atlanta and Motorola and their CAS was not cross compatible. SA got bought out by Cisco, who sold the unit to Technicolor and Arris acquired the division of Motorola that was responsible for this stuff, around the same time as Google bought another part of Motorola. That's why up until the past handful of years, nearly all cable set tops boxes were either SA/Cisco or Moto/Arris. Not sure how Pace got into the mix. The CPE had to match the headend so generally in the past if your headend was Moto you used Moto boxes, if your headed was SA you used SA boxes. I can't speak for other systems, but Time Warner Cable was nearly 100% SA. Their Moto headends were usually ones that they acquired from other cable operators.

Something changed with how this all works. Samsung makes cable boxes and I don't think it matters if they're connected to a Cisco or Arris headend and I'm on a Cisco headend and I had a Arris 3600 6 tuner DVR for a while. But I think what I posted above still partially holds true.

I've used Cisco DVRs for years and never had much of a problem. I had the 8640, a couple of 8642s in a Whole Home set up, an 8742 and the 9865 6 tuner DVR.

The Spectrum 210 is the next Workbox, it is 'cloud' based. I follow this stuff pretty closely and head nothing about a DVR acting as basically a thin client and having your content recorded on an array of drives located in some Charter data center. I suppose that can be done with a hard drive-less box like the 101 or 110. Pay $10/month extra and you get 1TB of 'cloud' storage.

Reactions: jrr
so is the spectrum guide not a thing anymore? my guide updated the other day buts its just a updated version of the one i had.

Attachments

• guide.jpg
    guide.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 293