Speculation on 2011 HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Marine, the way I understood the last Charlie chat, the 3d that is available right now is horrible to include the TVs on the market. He mentioned new chip sets that will take 3d tv to another level and that's when dish will step up to the plate.

Haven't seen and 3D ESPN content etc., but 3D-Movies on demand would rock. I have a 72" Mits 3D and have been buying 3D- Blurays. Would rather spend the VOD fee. Sports lead the way with adopting HD programming, and I hope it does the same with 3D.

Haven't seen and 3D ESPN content etc., but 3D-Movies on demand would rock. I have a 72" Mits 3D and have been buying 3D- Blurays. Would rather spend the VOD fee. Sports lead the way with adopting HD programming, and I hope it does the same with 3D.

Same here except that unless Mits made a special model just for you, you have a 73" TV--not 72". LOL;) I'm waiting 'til after CES before I switch to D* because of 3D.

Ed

I think we should speculate on how many hd channels DISH will KEEP in 2011. With all the disagreements and disputes with the channel providers , it is only a matter of time before we lose more hd channels.

I think we should speculate on how many hd channels DISH will KEEP in 2011. With all the disagreements and disputes with the channel providers , it is only a matter of time before we lose more hd channels.

Yawn.

Last edited:
I don't think that is a yawn. It most certainly won't be exclusive to Dish too, though. Seems like wars are starting between content makers and content providers.

It'd be nice for Disney and Dish to smooch and make up. Getting all the ESPNs and ABC Family back in HD would be nice. The ESPNU in SD does look terrible... and is typically a skip channel deal. HD can't be that big of a deal for most people if Disney is willing to forgo HD offerings. Some of these SD equivs are unwatchable on HD, so there must be a ton more SD subscribers still... otherwise, why risk losing the advertising bucks?

As far as 3D... what is with very early adopters expecting content providers to provide a bunch of 3D, when 1) it doesn't really exist yet 2) most people don't have the technology to watch it (nor will they for years)

Wow, you are getting as repetitive as Haller...

Wow, you are getting as repetitive as Haller...

Wow, you are getting as obnoxious, Slamminc. I 'm sorry you can't face the Obvious writing on the wall , but it isn't just DISH we are talking about here. All cable and satellite and even Telecos with video services are facing the same thing. Look how may HD channels we lost last year and there is already a threat to take off E and Style channels today. This means DISH has to either take the hit and then jack our prices and OR cut the channels off and keep our prices somewhat the same.

Besides, I don't think anyone appointed you or KAb the moderators of this forum. IF you don't like something I or even Bob Haller post, then I suggest you either say nothing or hit ignore on your key board. It is getting really boring hearing you rag on him for anything he, or anyone post that you disagree with. Especially if it paints DISH in a negative light. I think Charlie and DISH can take the criticism,especially if it is deserved. I think that I will take my own advice here and hit ignore on both of ya'll.

Last edited:
.... Mark Cuban needs to come up with a new name for "HD-Net". I do watch the channel, but it is like having a channel called the "Color TV Channel". Perhaps "Guy TV" or something like that...

Perhaps he keeps it this way to emphasize that due to his insistence, it's "real" HD. Haven't watched lately, but I seem to remember the PQ was always tops.

There is NO SUCH THING as REAL HD on Dish. It is all watered down. They simply do not have enough bandwidth available on the transponders to transmit all of the HD data - even if they cut the SD feeds where they transmit both. As they add new 3D HD services this will become even more critical.

We just added Comcast residential phone and data services - to get rid of the AT&T DSL circuit which was crashing several times a week. Costs a whole lot less than the phone and data service we had previously and we get more than 10 times the RELIABLE bandwidth.

We get the locals and a few HD channels as a bonus - sort of a thank you for us putting up with all their begging to switch to their services. The difference in HD quality is NIGHT AND DAY over Dish's HD quality.

Based on what we have seen so far, if Dish raises their rates, by even so much as a PENNY this year, we WILL cut the more than 17 year old satellite cable and go with Comcast this year.

Besides, I don't think anyone appointed you or KAb the moderators of this forum.

Well, we really should be, to keep you little whiners in check. To keep your boring, redundant, repetitive, and and WHOLLY unimaginative crap out of here!! It does not matter if you are a D or an E boy. You are getting OLD and contribute nothing to anyone but your own egos!!! Neither me, Slammin, Whatchel or ANYONE else makes regular trips to your side to assail D* like you and Hemi and a few others do. What do you get of it?? What is your life lacking that you need to do this?? Tell me!!! Otherwise, respect our decisions as to our providers and be adult enough to leave it at that!!!

Last edited:
There is NO SUCH THING as REAL HD on Dish. It is all watered down. They simply do not have enough bandwidth available on the transponders to transmit all of the HD data - even if they cut the SD feeds where they transmit both. As they add new 3D HD services this will become even more critical.

Isn't that true with all providers? I am just saying; I do not mean to start a who is better than who argument. I do not expect to find a provider at this time anyway that will provide true 1080p resolution such as putting in a 1080p Blu-ray into a Blu-ray player or PS3 on a 1080p HDTV. I am just wondering if my reasoning is correct or not.

Based on what we have seen so far, if Dish raises their rates, by even so much as a PENNY this year, we WILL cut the more than 17 year old satellite cable and go with Comcast this year.

It is sad that the price of pay TV is going up. I think that is why so many people are just going with OTA. However, I do like that Dish has some lower packages and some a la carte. Not all providers seem to give many options.

Isn't that true with all providers? I am just saying; I do not mean to start a who is better than who argument. I do not expect to find a provider at this time anyway that will provide true 1080p resolution such as putting in a 1080p Blu-ray into a Blu-ray player or PS3 on a 1080p HDTV. I am just wondering if my reasoning is correct or not.

FIOS does not compress the broadcast/cable channel at all. It comes just as it is sent to them. Cable in a lot of areas does not compress either, but tend to have limited HD. Note, this is not the same as bluray, but it is a big step up from what DBS/Uverse and some cable does where they take the signal and compress it even more. Dish is taking a 19.2 mbit MPEG2 stream and compressing it to a 5-6mbit MPEG4 stream. Yes MPEG4 does better than the MPEG2, but not 3-4x better, things look a lot better on the original feeds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)