Speed Hd

Watched F1 practice, qualifying, and race on Speed HD. Also watched the Sebring 12 hr in HD on Speed. Dish, you are missing the boat big time. Like the old business adage says, your competition doesn't take your business away, you give it to them.

Watched F1 practice, qualifying, and race on Speed HD. Also watched the Sebring 12 hr in HD on Speed. Dish, you are missing the boat big time. Like the old business adage says, your competition doesn't take your business away, you give it to them.

So was F1 upconverted 16:9?

Yeah, it was 16:9 according to the posts that I have read. Being a Dish customer, I of course had to watch it on bit starved ch 150.

I watched the F1 stuff at a friends place up in Canada. Bell Expressview carries Speed HD. The race was on both Speed HD and TSN HD. Both use the FIA feed. I do not know if the FIA international feed was full HD or up converted 16x9. FIA management has been wishy-washy on televising in full HD or widescreen. Might well have been 4:2:2 SD widescreen. However, I thought that the video was very good on his 50" HDTV Sony. The Speed video was better, at least to my eye, than TSN, which doesn't make sense considering the source is the same. Of course, the Bell HD always looks better to me than the Dish HD lite.

Speed-HD had better picture/graphics compared to TSN-HD

True statement about difference in PQ between TSN-HD and Speed-HD. I watched both on my Starchoice 505 HD receiver and both the PQ and also the official FIA graphics were fuzzy on TSN-HD (with ITV UK audio feed) and crystal clear (or as much as 16:9 widescreen SD can allow it) on Speed HD. Also, I suspect that you watched Speed-HD on Starchoice rather than Bell ExpressVu. They are yet to carry it as far as I know (I thought that I read something to that effect on Digital Home Canada).

The cool thing was that TSN-HD and Speed-HD broke to commercials at different points during the race, making it almost commercial-free for me :D

Of course I too ranted about the difference in PQ in the Canadian section, but I guess not many watch F1 using canadian providers perhaps (why would Speed Hd appear on Starchoice before E* though?)

http://www.satelliteguys.us/canadia...mula-1-aus-gp-pq-diff-tsn-hd-vs-speed-hd.html

Yeah, it was 16:9 according to the posts that I have read. Being a Dish customer, I of course had to watch it on bit starved ch 150.

That's how I watched it, too. I think the only Dish SD channel that looks worse is my local FOX SD feed. Even if F1 IS shot in SD, if we were getting Speed HD, at least the broadcast chain degradation shouldn't be as bad. I'm watching on a 50" Pioneer, and I had a hard time telling the team drivers apart on wide shots. Hobbs, Varsha, and Matchett make it a joy to at least listen to, though.

Michael

Fox had the four races last year ( CBS had races in 2006 ) and I FOX has four more this year. The only thing that I don't like is that the FOX races are not just delayed, but the whole half hour pre-race show was omitted. :(

Or GOL tv. Actually, the worst has to be Setanta considering it costs an extra 15 bucks (The reason why the 'everything' pack should be renamed to 'almost everything').

I just took the plunge and switched to Direct TV with Hotpass. When I canceled DISH the retention gal said (in english) that she just got the announcement today that SPEED HD is coming in May. I believe her, I really do.

Seriously it's coming in May? It better be... or else hello Dish retention people and DTV new customer line....

Hopefully in time for Monaco...

My calender is set.

If you call or email the folks at SPEED about F1 in HD, the response you will receive is that SPEED will not telecast any F1 in HD. Bernie sold the HD equipment he purchased in 2006 because no one picked up the FOM HD World Feed. Australians were fortunate to see their home race in HD and the Japanese will too, at the end of the year. I am sure Japan will be thrilled to watch another 2 hours of deluge in HD - hopefully Fuji will be on the 2009 calender.

Yea i heard from a friend and a fellow F1 fan that on Directtv, the Speed hd f1 picture wasnt that great, in fact he said the practice is all 4x3 and during the race the overlay graphics are great but it shows up how fuzzy the picture is.

I am not posting this to start a Dish Directtv battle, but my "need" for Speed hd has definately cooled after this feedback.

+1. Speed seems to have one of the worst sd pictures of all the sd channels I watch.

Actually, Speed looks quite a bit better on Dish than it did when I had TWC, so I am glad for the improvement. SpeedHD would be nice, but it isn't the end of the world.

Ted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts